Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20221228_170304881_HDR.jpg.7f62556fc8998393be7b99fa457ae8de.jpg

I have a little mill too.

303CE7E9-9D82-4E06-A987-13DB6993BAD5.jpeg

Nice work KK. Not as easy as my pins, but it looks stronger ... good job!

Note to self: Replace missing 3rd bolt in plow bracket in the spring (will necessitate removing the battery).
Thanks Mustang. I'm going to pick up some pins next trip to town. That could be anywhere from two days to two weeks. 🤣

I do most of my work on the lathe, so I did make sure to get a nice lathe.

I was offered a very good condition WWII Pratt & Whitney lathe at the same time I got this mill, but didn’t have room for it. I worked as a machinist, so I know how to operate them.

Good morning guys.

We have a temporary respite from the cold...+30 yesterday and +35 today. I have about two hours of stuff to do at work and then I am going to head home to do some outside work in the nice weather. Ice storm in early November caught us by surprise and as a result I still have boats and other "summer" stuff that need to be put away. The nice thing is I can unthaw them one at a time in my neighbors heated shop.

Do any of you folk know much about Eastonmade Wood Splitters?
I see a lot of guys are using them in some of the facebook firewood pages I'm on. More money than this guy has. The builder touts their 24D model as the fastest splitter on the planet. 🤔:innocent:

I see a lot of guys are using them in some of the facebook firewood pages I'm on. More money than this guy has. The builder touts their 24D model as the fastest splitter on the planet. 🤔:innocent:
Does cycle time mean a full stroke? The county line we have I only have to go 4-6" to split straight grain wood. The gnarly stuff takes some time though. I usually throw a big round on and continually rotate it till it's all split then push it off. I also have a line on the beam for 17" so I don't let it retract all the way.

There are at least three in use on YouTube. Joe's Premium Firewood... he's good at busting stuff and all in all the basic splitter he has is doing well. Buckn' Billy Ray has one with a conveyor that performs very well. Surviving Country Life has one that is sort of in between the other two in terms of features and it appears to perform well.

Andrew makes very good splitters. If you google Eastonmade you will find lots of info. Andrew has recently taken over his Dad's company and has switched it over to his name. Google search "Bells Machining" and you will find lots of info on them also.
https://www.lumbermenonline.com/News/-Eastonmade-Wood-Splitters-buys-and-merges-Bells-Machine/463 If you are on Facebook they have a good site there too. Canadian made. https://www.facebook.com/Eastonmade

There are at least three in use on YouTube. Joe's Premium Firewood... he's good at busting stuff and all in all the basic splitter he has is doing well. Buckn' Billy Ray has one with a conveyor that performs very well. Surviving Country Life has one that is sort of in between the other two in terms of features and it appears to perform well.
Joe is a peter head. Unsafe at any speed. Watch his tree cutting vids. @Kodiak Kid would have heart failure.

I think I may end up moving the mount back to the next cross member in the bottom of the frame. I was going to do that originally but I took poor measurements. In turn, I bought the wrong size U-bolt. I wasn't about to do the 100 mile round trip to the hardware store again, so I made it work.👍

As far as the controls. 🤔 You think letting go of the handle bar to grab a lever then letting go of the lever to grab the handle bar is faster then a control switch at the grip? Unless your plowing with one hand constantly on the plow lever and one hand constantly on the handle bar ? I don't see it.
All I can say is what I experienced, use both and get back with me.
If you can't ride a quad on fairly flat ground with one hand, well...:innocent:
I’ve been using the Stihl progressive plates for a few years now…work great, imo. There was a group buy back then from a member in Britain, I believe…where I got mine.
these have been easier to use than the old Fil-O-plate, Carlton ones I have had for decades.
View attachment 1044463
I like those a lot. I've found them to make a chain very aggressive in hardwood. I do a lot of bore cutting and they are too aggressive for that. When I'm cutting softwoods or softer hardwoods I use them.
It is not the computers but the idiots that work there.
At the time a bunch of us got the boot, many of the guys had nothing on their channels but cookie cutting, many got their channels back, unfortunately some didn't. My theory was that the saw sounds somewhat mimicked a scream and their software thought some abuse was happening.

Latest posts

Back