Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on your definition of town I guess? 🤷 The "city" of Kodiak has a population of 12'000 to 15'000 depending on time of year.👍
Not sure anymore, but when I was active duty about 1,200 of those were active duty U.S. Coast Guard, and it was the largest unit we had.

How big in diameter of a round will it handle? Is it available with more than a two way wedge? Dose it self load rounds up off the ground onto the splitter like the 12-22 and 22-28? If so? Im definitely interested.
Regarding size fo rounds, it will split whatever you can maneuver into place. The Split Force comes with a side loading table like the other splitters. You can get it for either side. Or both I suppose if you asked them. I paid a little extra to get the table put on the other side and it hinges down if we don't need the extra work table area. It's good to have and folding it down allows the machine to take up less width for storage. We keep ours parked in a shipping container. As for a 4way wedge, they don't recommend it. And from what I've read prior to purchase from other people who own them, they also say a single wedge is plenty.

Processed the top of this standing dead Red Oak I cut down earlier this week. Got back today and bucked the trunk, and noted how wet the core of this tree was:

IMG_1935.jpg

I guessed it was over 30%, almost all the standing dead Red I cut is. Probably shouldn't have been surprised when I threw the MM on it after a couple splits:

IMG_1939.jpg

Processed the top of this standing dead Red Oak I cut down earlier this week. Got back today and bucked the trunk, and noted how wet the core of this tree was:

View attachment 1044885

I guessed it was over 30%, almost all the standing dead Red I cut is. Probably shouldn't have been surprised when I threw the MM on it after a couple splits:

View attachment 1044886
The oak blowdown we cut up a few weeks ago was off the ground and from last summer 2021 The wood was atleast that wet from what my dad's moisture meter said. I couldn't believe it since it was off the ground. We split what we could with the time we had a d stacked on pallets in the woods but it will be 2024 before it probably is dry enough to burn.

The oak blowdown we cut up a few weeks ago was off the ground and from last summer 2021 The wood was atleast that wet from what my dad's moisture meter said. I couldn't believe it since it was off the ground. We split what we could with the time we had a d stacked on pallets in the woods but it will be 2024 before it probably is dry enough to burn.
Oak unless it was standing dead for years before will still be wet inside . I’ve bucked oak and left them till the following summer so about a year and they were still wet

This was still damp even though it was off the ground . Needs to dry a few months before I can burn
7138398A-6BC8-4604-A66A-ACA812B7663B.jpeg

Received a new X27 36’ splitting axe yesterday . My old one developed a split in the handle end and on the odd strike it vibrates my hands .
Great customer service contacted them via the website attached the picture and in two days got a tracking number .
I’m going to epoxy the crack and use some tape on it since they don’t want the broken one back View attachment 1044806
New one View attachment 1044805
I'd consider cutting the handle short and making a ghetto x25

Back