Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way to go AF.
You finding that around Athens AL. Is that what I remember????

David

My scrounging failed...the landowner had several trees felled, and the company cut them into rounds...everyone of them too long for my stove and not worth the time to recut each one. Its a shame, there is probably a cord and a half of nice straight pine laying there...

I might pick up a load at a time and haul it to my parents if she can't get rid of it (they have a bigger stove).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

My scrounging failed...the landowner had several trees felled, and the company cut them into rounds...everyone of them too long for my stove and not worth the time to recut each one. Its a shame, there is probably a cord and a half of nice straight pine laying there...

I might pick up a load at a time and haul it to my parents if she can't get rid of it (they have a bigger stove).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

*Cough ........* .......... *Cough ......*
Ya gots te cuts a log up fer ifen yus want firewood ....... Jus sayin ......

;)

No cutting today, but the wife and I took the dog for a hike on Storm King Mtn which is just North and adjacent to West Point. For those of you who have never seen this part of NY, I will post some pics.

1) My wife and our dog (Lucy) looking North up the Hudson.

2) Cornwall NY down below, Stewart Airport, the Gunks (New Paltz, where Mohonk Mountain House and Minnewaska State Park are located), and the Catskill Mtns in the far background.

3) View of the Beacon Newburgh Bridge and Pollepl Island (Bannerman Castle), once used to store firearms for a NYC Army Navy store.

4) The mountain on the left with the radio tower is North Mt Beacon. Next is So Mt Beacon (with a Fire Tower). When I was a kid, the Otis Elevator family operated the Steepest Inclined Railway in the world up North Mt Beacon, and if you wanted to cross the river you took the ferry. The small building near the water is an access to the NYC Catskill Aqueduct. It was finished in 1914, is 92 miles long and 14.5 ft in diameter. It crosses under the Hudson at that location. That is Breakneck Ridge in back of it, appropriately named. It is the most popular hike in America, but you will not go up it without also using your hands. Granite harvested from Breakneck Ridge was used to build the Brooklyn Bridge, West Point, and the steps of the Capital in Albany.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• May29,2014 014.jpg
    May29,2014 014.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 89
  • May29,2014 017.jpg
    May29,2014 017.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 91
  • May29,2014 018.jpg
    May29,2014 018.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 84
  • May29,2014 019.jpg
    May29,2014 019.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 74
Awesome pictures of the free wood! A little drizzle rain never killed anyone! Grizzly Wintergreen helps with the miserable weather outside when your sawing in the drizzle rain. Just wear a hard hat and rain gear and u'll be set

No cutting today, but the wife and I took the dog for a hike on Storm King Mtn which is just North and adjacent to West Point. For those of you who have never seen this part of NY, I will post some pics.

Although I've never climbed the overlooks you mentioned I have been in this area many times when we lived in Albany. Also taken the train along the river numerous times. My friend is a photographer and had some really nice pictures from Mohonk.

There are many beautiful areas there, a lot of people do not realize part of NY is like this.
When I told people from the midwest that I lived in upstate NY, they asked me how living in NYC was. Many people think that the city takes up the whole state! And when I got there, I had no idea there was so much terrain in the NE!

There are many beautiful areas there, a lot of people do not realize part of NY is like this.

Actually most people dont realize "most" of NY is like that. I went to college in Rochester, NY and had a great time. Did lots of fishing in Lake Ontario and some snowboarding in lake placid and other smaller resorts. It is a beautiful state unfortunately it is run by the geniuses in NYC. The taxes and gun laws made it easy for me to make a hasty exit after graduation. It is really a shame it is a beautiful state. Plus you have some great wine. I go through the finger lakes each year and pick up several cases of wine in route to visit friends that stayed after college.

Where did you go, I went to RIT. I believe when my Dad used to come up now and then in the winter I heard him say something about this "God Forsaken Place".

Unfortunately when I was up there, the Great Lakes were not doing as well as they are now. There has been a big improvement.

I remember all of the roads being closed for 3 days straight because of wind driven snow.

Also remember wrestling in the Wilkes barre Tournament.

Where did you go, I went to RIT. I believe when my Dad used to come up now and then in the winter I heard him say something about this "God Forsaken Place".

Unfortunately when I was up there, the Great Lakes were not doing as well as they are now. There has been a big improvement.

I remember all of the roads being closed for 3 days straight because of wind driven snow.

Also remember wrestling in the Wilkes barre Tournament.

Small world. I went to RIT as well. 2002-2006 I graduated with the class of 2007 because I finished in the fall of 2006. The winters where something special up there but right I after I graduated I moved to Cleveland, OH and that place made Rochester look not so bad. Same weather but there was more to do in Rochester. I am happily now living in south central PA. NY is a beautiful place.

I graduated in 74 when the school still had only 5,000 students. The well known Coach Fuller was the wrestling coach, and Tom Coughlin (NY Giants) was the football coach. It was his first coaching job. I hear they don't even have a Football team now.

A lot of PA is beautiful also, I get to see it when I go up to my property in Hancock, which is right across the border.

For all you guys who cut loads of oak from your recycle/dump sites, count your blessings.

Here's my local pile, nothing but balsam and wrist sized aspen.

Well, look at the bright side, you can drive right up to it, the ground looks decent, no two foot deep mud or two foot deep snow/ice. Cut it stack it! That wrist size aspen, no splitting needed! Smalls add up and are fast to cut with the smallest lightest saw. zingzingzing!

Don't know about the larger balsam fir, most likely burned some when I was scrounging Christmas trees. If it is anything like southern white or yellow pine, she'll burn and hot once real dry.

Back