Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see chev is offering a small turbo motor in the half ton and Dodge has announced a new turbo motor as well. Not throwing shade on any of the V8's from the big 3. They are all good motors, (unlike the 5.4, not Ford's shining moment). What I really like about the turbo six is how low in rpm that torque is available for towing. I typically tow at 2/3 or less of towing capacity so I rarely use all the power available. I have no experience pulling at or over capacity, or even close. So if I was having to wring every last drop out of it my opinion may differ

The 5.4l works just fine, just need to get over the old push rod v8 mentality. Stuff it to the floor and get it over 3k rpm and it moves whatever you want it to move. Just pig slow at it. And doesn't get any better millage loaded then my big block. Which you just drive like normal. Really need to get my cummins back on the road....

The compressor seal is probably leaking when it sits over winter. The oil drains away from the back side of the seal and the refrigerant seeps past without dragging dye with it. Pretty common.
Iā€™ll look into it . The compressor is only 33 years old

We used to replace the seals on the old compressors with a serviceable seal. Not too bad of a job.
Heck, we used to swapp clutches and reseal compressors, but between labor and cheap replacements it hasn't been worth it in a while. Classic tcci/York style would be an exception imo. Pretty easy and quick to do a clutch or seal.

Have the 3.5 Ecoboost, 6 speed auto in the transit "passenger" van and it's been brilliant so far. Only service work on the whole truck 6 years, 55K miles was a defective MAS, 15 minutes, back at it. Converted it to 4X4 last year, it'll go anywhere the body will fit.
DSCN1103.JPG
With $x4 it now averages 18MPG, 13 towing.
"passenger" cuz It seldom has any seats behind the front 2. Wanted the windows and finished interior for comfort, quiet, visibility, and light camping duties. It's my wood hauler too, toss some thin rubber mats in the back and fill it up!
Pic is the previous Sprinter but you get the idear.
82HS 004.JPG
Bike hauling a major use.
KIMG3271.JPG

Hello Gents! I've been super busy these days Fellas!

Today's work. I got two OVERLOADS in today!šŸ‘ That's tipped, limbed, bucked, logged, loaded, hauled and dumped x2
View attachment 1074520

Goodbye Gents! I'm STIHL super busy these days Fellas!

Until next time...

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!šŸ˜‰
hi kid, drop by any time!

you make it up there look like just another day at the beach!!! šŸ‘

Heck, we used to swapp clutches and reseal compressors, but between labor and cheap replacements it hasn't been worth it in a while. Classic tcci/York style would be an exception imo. Pretty easy and quick to do a clutch or seal.
My 64 Studebaker and my 68 c10 have york compressors . I must have 10 NOS units Every time I saw one I bought it . I also have two complete NOS under dash units like this one still in the box 4FD89575-17AF-4548-A6E0-9CDCE581BA94.jpeg

a post of wood scrounge and other stuff scrounge...

had a nice campfire other day. always enjoyable. šŸ‘ had been awhile. mr Brutus had pine needles in his hearth... i just added some kindling, pine and some stix from the stack i made bit back ago from cutting up my last street scrounge.
P1010042.JPGP1010041.JPG

and the long week of Super Scrounge finally ended. quite the haul! be hard to beat that one again!! ~ i was told a tool box was not available, house seller, f, wanted it. the short version is i ended up with it. and i had wanted it. originally, it had a small chest topside. it went here or there? but bit small for what i wanted. and by chance i found the exact box i was wanting here in town, locally. after a few posts the seller and i came to terms. both are Kennedy tool boxes. a 297 roller 7-drawer and a nice (enuff) 526 for topside. so i am in the process of returning both to service again. the pix of both is before i had began any cleaning. etc.
P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPG
P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPGP1010015.JPG

I don't smoke anything, but I do like to grill over wood that imparts a flavor ... like grilling venison steaks or burgers over Black Cherry!

Black Cherry is abundant up at my property. Wish I also had Hickory up there, but there is none. Will also have to try Black Birch, there is a good amount of that up there also.
i do or will eat... done right very tasty!

chicken or pork/beef... week or so back and Easter dinner
P1010015.JPGP1010018.JPG

Why does it have to be 'or'? :laugh:

Anyway, my SIL works at a major BBQ/heating/furniture joint in Melbourne and they don't seem to mind too much if the staff discount gets extended to family. We've been enduring nearly 2 years of one of the world's slowest renovations but are now getting close with the exterior done but still some things to do inside. We have a big deck up on the top level that we need to pimp out some more. We're getting one of these.

View attachment 1074682

I'm not sure if a pellet smoker is considered cheating or not by purists but it will allow set-and-forget smoking and lots of high-tech features. Looking forward to getting some goanna roasts in there!
imo, its like cold beer and no beer! warm beer better than no beer! something to say for 'plug n play' smokers... šŸ‘

What type of wood is that?
Just my ponderosa pine "test" logs...I have more pine than I could want to burn, and you can't even give it away nowadays...the bark beetle has been killing it, so there is a bunch of it. It doesn't make the best firewood anyway, but is good for getting a fire going or just a fire for the "shoulder" seasons.

Hardwood is a "tougher" test for a saw, but I need to go scrounge up another oak test log for the video area. That larger 24" round in the video was a good test for your saw IMO, it pulled pretty well through that and I wasn't having to baby it to keep the rpms up either. If you're mostly using it for a limber, you might even want to upgrade to an 8 pin sprocket for some more chain speed.

These two girls just off the front deck are lucky I don't have my smoker yet.

View attachment 1074818

Or a rifle for that matter. Or a gun license. Or a spear. Or a boomerang. Maybe I could throw Limby at one šŸ¤” .
What's the rules on hunting Roo's. Some one told me they are the national animal and can't be hunted. Then, one of our favorite Tap houses had Roo Taco's. Tehy were pretty darn good.

My 64 Studebaker and my 68 c10 have york compressors . I must have 10 NOS units Every time I saw one I bought it . I also have two complete NOS under dash units like this one still in the box View attachment 1075332
I just found a can of the old R12, if it's legal to ship and you want it, it's yours?

Back