Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was my original plan, but the disc brake 14s (I think they're AAMs now) are cheap and plentiful. Except for the low-hanging pumpkin, they're better axles than the Dana 60 too IMO.
Except when the cast iron rots away . My Dodge had one of the bad AAM patches . The cast iron just disintegrated and leaked gear oil . Had to find a good one looked at three or four that were starting to go. Ended up with one that came out out of a Florida truck

Found a couple of pictures. The cast disintegrated the cover and tubes were in good shape 20200918_121743.jpg20200918_121747.jpg

Speaking of KK, my trailer was not overloaded, but that was likely an "overload" for the ATV! It would not start up the mild uphill in high range, had to put it in low range! The cabin was only about 200' away, so no problems, but I don't think it would have pulled that load up some of the uphill's we have there. If I had to haul it uphill I would have broken out the smaller ATV trailer.

If you look at the pic of the unloaded trailer, you will see some (there are 4) uncut logs. They are Black Locust that I transported up a while ago from down here, and will be used for a future construction project. I plan to expand the back of our storage shed (which is the old 12 x 20 cabin).

I wish those guys who made YouTube videos with 30 year old stuff with no rust had to work on some of the rusty crap that we normally deal with!
I was watching an episode of Roadkill and they were complaining how rusty the bumper bolts on an early 70s car were. They were using a 3/8" ratchet to remove them! Rusty! They haven't seen rust.

I was watching an episode of Roadkill and they were complaining how rusty the bumper bolts on an early 70s car were. They were using a 3/8" ratchet to remove them! Rusty! They haven't seen rust.
There are times I use the impact and tighten the nut till the bolt snaps . Much easier that way and a lot less drama

I saw a video one time of a guy teaching how to remove a rusted hitch receiver, it was basically surface rust :buttkick:.

There are times I use the impact and tighten the nut till the bolt snaps . Much easier that way and a lot less drama
I do that when it's feasible and I cut em with a torch when safe. Definitely don't want to use that approach on subframe bolts with hidden cage nuts. I've had to cut access holes to heat the cage nuts. Then weld it back up and soak the area in undercoating.

I'll sell you my 98 Honda Odyssey, it gets 25mpg :).

Gotta start somewhere, I'm a pond rookie lol. Honestly I'm surprised I got as much done as I have this yr, I was thinking it would be something to tinker with for a couple yrs, then again, it could still turn into that.

Yep, the little one 😆.
I get that. When people tell me that 80k is a lot to haul(talking about semi's), I just laugh as I used to haul nearly double that every day for many yrs. Good thing I didn't have to haul those loads up your hills, it was bad enough on our "Michigan mountains" ;).

That's what I use on dirt filled pipe too 🤣.
Just wait till the EPA finds out….they’ll call it “navigable water” and start charging you for it 🤣🤣

I do that when it's feasible and I cut em with a torch when safe. Definitely don't want to use that approach on subframe bolts with hidden cage nuts. I've had to cut access holes to heat the cage nuts. Then weld it back up and soak the area in undercoating.
Been there myself it sucks. How’s this for 54 years old even has the original ball joints this was a farm truck from South Carolina . Lots of grease and red dirt .

Edit: it’s 55 based on the 68 model year but was made late 67 delivered November 1967 so it technically 56 years old
IMG_4149.jpegIMG_4151.jpegIMG_4139.jpeg

Just wait till the EPA finds out….they’ll call it “navigable water” and start charging you for it 🤣🤣
I was following all that crap, I wish they'd just do their fricken jobs, but that's what happens when an agency that's supposed to protect us is captured. That's what Robert Kennedy Jr won all his lawsuits against, all the companies that should have
been kept from polluting the rivers, but paid everyone off. While he doesn't have a chance, there's much I agree with him on.
There's a reason I started building it this yr, sat views were taken this spring by our township (well paid for and will be entered in from this spring), figured it gave me a couple yrs before I need to ask for forgiveness...

Wow, didn't get that warm here, but it's real humid, so 83 feels like 92 ;).
It was just sleeting here too. Only supposed to get up to 41, last night it was snowing, dang global warming.
All my trees are flowering haven’t seen one bee 🐝 first year for the pear trees to do so

All my trees are flowering haven’t seen one bee 🐝 first year for the pear trees to do so
Odd, I've seen a few here already, honey bees and a bunch of wasp.
What is real weird is I'm down in Indiana and Ohio on a normal basis and haven't seen a single Canadian goose chic(or whatever they are called), they just started getting on nests down there, but around the corner from us they've already got a heard of them nasty crapping things.
I was pulling out of the shop/work last week and I had one squawking at me when I was driving my Honda odyssey, even started chasing me. If the office folks weren't there I would have went back around for a video of the crazy Canadian 😆.

Latest posts

Back