Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else still having nightly fires? It was warm enough last week for me to reinstall the little window-mount AC into the master bedroom. This week has been cold and rainy... borderline snow. This was the warmest day all week, only made it up to 47 today.

View attachment 1080356
I've been having a fire a day for the last two weeks.

I just looked at the weather. I will probably continue for the next week. Low to mid forties at night/mid fifties to low 60s for the high. I wait until the house gets down to 66-68 then crank it back up to 74 with one fire.

I'm up in Door County for the weekend. My wife is running a half marathon tomorrow. The kids and I are here to cheer her on, then the grandparents are taking the kids home. We will have 36 hours of adult time. Wooooo-hoooooo!

Those four logs from the first pic along with a couple of other bits that got in the way filled the ute and the trailer. One had a small termite pipe up it but nothing much, the rest was solid.

View attachment 1080248

View attachment 1080249

View attachment 1080250

View attachment 1080251

Got home and unloaded the trailer, split and stacked outside the woodshed. I generally keep my splits from big rounds big, I get enough smaller stuff in the course of normal scrounging. Didn't get the ute unloaded before I had to pick up the kids and then the light was about gone.

View attachment 1080252

Scrounge on :rock:
Nice scrounge Cowboy! I have to get 3.5 cords up in the next month so I should have some pics to help you prop up the scrounging thread!:cheers:

I just looked at the weather. I will probably continue for the next week. Low to mid forties at night/mid fifties to low 60s for the high. I wait until the house gets down to 66-68 then crank it back up to 74 with one fire.

I'm up in Door County for the weekend. My wife is running a half marathon tomorrow. The kids and I are here to cheer her on, then the grandparents are taking the kids home. We will have 36 hours of adult time. Wooooo-hoooooo!

May is weird weather here...cold and miserable this week(30s/40s,) but it'll be 80 by next Friday. I've had a fire going all week, I finally let it go out this a.m. just to clean some of the ashes out...but got it going again for tonight.

No marathons for me, between my knees and my messed up foot, I'm good for about 7 miles tops. I could probably run further, but the self-preservation light starts blinkin in my head. I'm a 1/2 decent bike racer though, I'm currently leading the points for my class in the local XC mtb series. Good luck to your wife BTW, it's good to have goals/accomplishments to build towards IMO.

May is weird weather here...cold and miserable this week(30s/40s,) but it'll be 80 by next Friday. I've had a fire going all week, I finally let it go out this a.m. just to clean some of the ashes out...but got it going again for tonight.

No marathons for me, between my knees and my messed up foot, I'm good for about 7 miles tops. I could probably run further, but the self-preservation light starts blinkin in my head. I'm a 1/2 decent bike racer though, I'm currently leading the points for my class in the local XC mtb series. Good luck to your wife BTW, it's good to have goals/accomplishments to build towards IMO.
It's definitely been cold and miserable here as well. I'm ready for warm weather.

I'm not a runner either. It's hard on my knees and I'm on my feet all day so I choose to bike. It's much easier on the joints.

My brother is a mountain biker as well. He finished the Marji Gesick last year. He also was the WORS champion for his age class a few years ago. He's not racing this year because he has a fractured vertebra. The crazy thing is he doesn't know when it happened. His best guess is when he flipped a snowmobile about 20 years ago.

Thanks, she's well prepared. She's hoping to do an 8.5 minute/mile pace. I think she'll do well.

It's definitely been cold and miserable here as well. I'm ready for warm weather.

I'm not a runner either. It's hard on my knees and I'm on my feet all day so I choose to bike. It's much easier on the joints.

My brother is a mountain biker as well. He finished the Marji Gesick last year. He also was the WORS champion for his age class a few years ago. He's not racing this year because he has a fractured vertebra. The crazy thing is he doesn't know when it happened. His best guess is when he flipped a snowmobile about 20 years ago.

Thanks, she's well prepared. She's hoping to do an 8.5 minute/mile pace. I think she'll do well.

I compete in mtb, but put most of my training miles in on the road bike. The road biking builds a strong "engine" and being a dirtbike rider/former racer helps the bike handling skills. Either one is a really fun sport for me.

Both knees are messed up from past dirtbiking injuries...one of these days I'll have to get a piece of meniscus cleaned out from my left knee, but I've been going strong this way for the past 10 years. I had a really bad over-the-bars wreck on the moto back in 2020. I still feel it in my neck/back on a regular basis, that one kinda killed my motivation to race dirtbikes. I had a buddy end up in the chair in a racing incident before that, and I was lucky enough to escape serious injury with mine, so I kinda lost the drive to race a dangerous sport such as that.

8:30 pace is pretty good for 13 miles.👍

I drink black cherry soda made with door county cherries.

Hey boys, back on the late shift for the weekend, so no real work will be getting done around the house... miserable day at work to boot. Up and running right after we punched in, didn't get to eat till after the park closed and still had a replace a drive box and motor before we could leave for the night. Not how the late shift should be at all.
Hoping I can finish messing with the tdi this week, had to get some t bolt clamps and a new pipe, everything showed up while I was at work. Hopefully I'll be able to get that on tomorrow morning before I leave for work.
Really hoping the weather holds out and I can get back on the log pile next week. It being where the shop is going is really hampering me getting the site work done for the shop. Weather just won't cooperate when I'm off or work morning shift. The yard is finally drying out since we've had a few rain free days. Wife did inform me that next weekend we WILL be going to her grandmother house, rain or shine, so I can clean her gutters, trim up her trees and hedges (I really need to get a hedge trimmer, hers sucks!) I sarcastically asked my wife if there was anything else she (her grandma) wanted me to do? Wife said oh yeah, there's a bunch of bamboo she wants you to cut down or pull out, so you should think about bringing your tractor. (Last time I took one of my tractors to her bamboo Forrest it cost me a front tire.) Told the wife that would be a hard no. Not dealing with the bamboo. I'll have to remember to take pics for you guys. The bamboo is literally taking over her woods out back, (like acres of woods, killing off the trees.) It's taken over the whole some yard, and working it's way into her back yard. Heck it's grown right up around her shop to the point you can't use the side man door anymore. It's terrible. So, I have that to look forward to.....

Oh, just thinking we've been burning in the evenings recently, not every night and not over night. With all the rain and over night temps dipping into the 40s or mid 30s just need that few hours of heat to get the house warm for over night. It's been an odd heating season. Had a lot more cold/cool nights end if last year, but a pretty mild winter over all, but heating the house is just dragging on longer then we normally burn. I really need to start keeping track of when I start and stop burning better.

Oh, just thinking we've been burning in the evenings recently, not every night and not over night. With all the rain and over night temps dipping into the 40s or mid 30s just need that few hours of heat to get the house warm for over night. It's been an odd heating season. Had a lot more cold/cool nights end if last year, but a pretty mild winter over all, but heating the house is just dragging on longer then we normally burn. I really need to start keeping track of when I start and stop burning better.
It's been a cold one this winter, tonight I had to dip into next winter's wood stack. Luckily it's dry enough to burn.

That's not good, I hope it warms up for you. I hate tapping into next heating season wood early. I still have about 2 ish cord left over from last year's burn wood in the shed. Got it moved out of the back and stacked it in the front of the shed a week or so ago. Started filling the shed again. I was happy we had wood left over (first 2 years I lived here, we ran out and or had un seasoned wood... long story for another time.) But that 2 ish cord left means we burned 8 cord, which put me 1 to 2 cord more then we normally burn.

Anyone else still having nightly fires? It was warm enough last week for me to reinstall the little window-mount AC into the master bedroom. This week has been cold and rainy... borderline snow. This was the warmest day all week, only made it up to 47 today.

View attachment 1080356
50 tonight…yup, fire both inside and in the fire pit outside 😁

So, with the scrounge pics now. This peppermint that the arborist pushed off the road was enormous (for a peppermint). The trunk was on the other side of the road and I guess was 50-60 inches, this was the limb material.

View attachment 1080244

View attachment 1080245

View attachment 1080246

I had Limby and the 460 today and I was glad I brought it today as I dug dirt with Limby cutting these first rounds :dumb: . The 460 hadn't been run in maybe 2 years and still had old fuel in it but started up and ran well like it always does.

View attachment 1080247

TBC
Gravy 😁

I was working on a truck today and saw something that really irritated me. I have a CCW license and this goes against everything we were taught. Keep in mind this truck sat overnight at the shop. View attachment 1080307 Talk about not controlling/keeping track of your weapon. :buttkick:
Inexcusable, imo 🙁

View attachment 1080356
No night time fires as our house faces west. Fires in the morning though. 0ºC here this morning.

Back