Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@chipper1 What is your method to get the spot so flat? I struggle to get that. No problem blending into grade but maybe I just don't have the eye for flat. This is with a loader, box blade, york rake, and harrow at my disposal.
It's not yet lol. I think the pics are deceiving, kinda like how big a pile of wood is, or isn't.
I just take the high spots and move them to the low spots, that's made easier if you can start on an area that is the same as the grade you're wanting it all to me, and you have a bucket/blade/implement that is wider than the equipment you're operating.
Guessing a good bit of it is having an eye for it, but if you don't, that's what God made string for lol. I plan on using some myself when I get it close, right now there's a high spot I want to move closer to the barn to keep the water in what will be the orchard area.
I was supposed to be picking up a power rake last weekend, unfortunately it wasn't the one the rental place had in the past, and it was too big for the work I needed it for. So, after some calling around I was able to set one up with a different rental company. Supposedly it's the right one... sure hope it is. I'll know for sure in a few hrs.
Edit. So I was thinking about it a bit more. When you're using the bucket on the loader, you can see dirt coming out the side of the bucket that is high, of is coming out of both side, then it's dished a bit. Once I get everything fairly close, I try to turn 90 degrees and move the dirt across to fill in any waves. I'll change the angles when I can to pull dirt to the areas I need it. I use the back side of the bucket a lot to remove higher spots and to draw them to lower areas.
Hope that helps a bit.

I came home from a rotary cutting job, and the next day I noticed one tire getting low. SO, off I went to get my "self propelled" hydraulic trailer jack,

Resized-20230915-122840-S.jpg

SO, with the spare now on the trailer, all is well.

SR

This was his first-time hunting! He did not want to go the last 2 years, and last year his younger brother got his first deer (as did my daughter) with Matt.

Very glad it went well for him, especially at that range! He does like to shoot (mostly 22 and 223), and he does shoot well.

More and more (as he goes up to the cabin) he has started to enjoy the venison that is served (brought up and cooked by various relatives).
He did great Uncle Mike, all the practice paid off! He made sure he was steady, took his time and made a great shot!

I was very proud of him!!

G'day fellers,

Started off the morning with a 5km parkrun - don't know if any of you know about it or not. Ran it with Cowlad who is not very fit and he started to struggle at about half way.

Then got the wood shed organised. I had about a cord of dry wood remaining, some of which was a bit 2nd grade and the rest nice. I pulled the nice stuff forward and stacked it on the right and chucked the less nice stuff out in front of the shed and that can be our remaining wood for the season. We haven't burned for the last few days but there is cooler weather coming next week. The nice stuff I plan to take to my customer. I stacked Wednesday's scrounge down the back and there is some of last week's manna gum on the left which will be restacked at the back when I get to it.

20230916_135424.jpg

Then I headed out to the farm again and picked up most of the peppermint I had cut previously. Stihl a bit left over.

20230916_130512.jpg

I also picked up another trailer load of bonfire junk and poles, only did a few cuts with the 241 for today.

20230916_132302.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

View attachment 1112541
11 pages to catch up on, done! Introduced my wife to backcountry camping, it went well. We saw a bear swimming (in a straight line) and I managed to catch my first musky. 6lb line on a jig and worm while fishing for walleye. My wife who has never netted a fish scooped this one up like a boss.
Now that is an awesome trip. Nice fish too.

Good morning guys. Had a great trip to the gulf.

Day one was bottom fishing, and it was a day of….fishing… Lots of lost rigs and also had a white Marlin grab the line at the boat and break off.

Day two was a day of catching, we filled the icebox with tuna by noon.

Had a great dinner of sashimi Wednesday and ceviche Thursday.

The seafood boil was on our first night there and that was delicious.

View attachment 1112360View attachment 1112361View attachment 1112362View attachment 1112363

View attachment 1112542
I'm jealous

7 cord gone in under 36 hours. All picked up. Here today gone tomorrow is what I told my wife. Now I have some room to put the rest of the rounds after splitting them. One tree guy told me I have at least 20 cord in my rounds pile. That should be fun to blow thru. I think I have at least another 2 cord on the ground that I cut in the Spring. The pile went all the way out to the right side in the 2nd photo. It used to be at least 8 feet tall. The last picture is from today (Saturday) It shrunk by another 2 cord.

Attachments

• 20230817_172729.jpg
    20230817_172729.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230915_154903.jpg
    20230915_154903.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230916_175444.jpg
    20230916_175444.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
7 cord gone in under 36 hours. All picked up. Here today gone tomorrow is what I told my wife. Now I have some room to put the rest of the rounds after splitting them. One tree guy told me I have at least 20 cord in my rounds pile. That should be fun to blow thru. I think I have at least another 2 cord on the ground that I cut in the Spring. The pile went all the way out to the right side in the 2nd photo. It used to be at least 8 feet tall.
Nice.
Get that fence rail fixed too :laugh: .

OK, I thought I was done for the night, but managed to get out two more.
View attachment 1112683View attachment 1112684
So the knees feeling better :D.
Maybe you should start out the day with a 5k lol.
G'day fellers,

Started off the morning with a 5km parkrun - don't know if any of you know about it or not. Ran it with Cowlad who is not very fit and he started to struggle at about half way.

Then got the wood shed organised. I had about a cord of dry wood remaining, some of which was a bit 2nd grade and the rest nice. I pulled the nice stuff forward and stacked it on the right and chucked the less nice stuff out in front of the shed and that can be our remaining wood for the season. We haven't burned for the last few days but there is cooler weather coming next week. The nice stuff I plan to take to my customer. I stacked Wednesday's scrounge down the back and there is some of last week's manna gum on the left which will be restacked at the back when I get to it.

View attachment 1112707

Then I headed out to the farm again and picked up most of the peppermint I had cut previously. Stihl a bit left over.

View attachment 1112709

I also picked up another trailer load of bonfire junk and poles, only did a few cuts with the 241 for today.

View attachment 1112708

Scrounge on :rock:
Nice haul, I've always liked that trailer.
Hope you took Cowlad with you for the scrounge, he needs to be there to help work on his endurance :lol:.

Latest posts

Back