Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, I know, it was the last day of early antlerless season ... but we just finished butchering my grandson's deer yesterday and the wife wanted to go for a hike ... so we went for a hike! Boy, thinks are changing too fast!

We first tried to go to our old spot (which we used for decades even though it went through private land) which was a shortcut up to South Mt. Beacon, but it was now posted so we could not go there.

So, we tried to go to some of our old spots to hike State land near Breakneck Ridge, only to find no parking signs on several places we used to park and over a hundred cars hogging the remaining spots! We ended up parking far North of where we wanted to go, but luckily there was a trail entrance there we had not been on previously (did I also mention that the Metro North train comes up on the WEs from NYC with hundreds of other hikers).

OK, so it was very crowded, and less than half the folks spoke English (mostly Asian and Hispanic). I was stunned by the look of the new trail. It was obviously built for "heavy traffic", and the signs made you think you were on city streets instead of on woods trails. The amount of granite steps installed up the hillside simply boggled the mind. I cannot imagine the number of hours it took to install them.

That said, we did manage to have an enjoyable hike, but anyone who thinks we need more people coming into our State was not there today!

To the North you can see Bannerman's Castle on Pollepel Island (formerly used to store surplus arms for an Army / Navy store in NYC). Directly across the Hudson is Storm King Mtn., and despite the "road signs" the Breakneck Ridge hike can be quite challenging. I actually did my good deed today and went up and helped a guy who got stuck.
I used to hike Minnewaska state park . But during Covid it seems everyone( from NYC) found out about it . After a while they had to put marker posts along the 44/55 to stop people from parking on the road . Traffic is nuts on weekends the other side of the mountain on rt52 Gragsmoore you need reservations on weekends and holidays. Same with the Blue hole on Peekamoose. My property abuts state land and even though its posted I have people hiking on my property when confronted they say they followed the trail , it a freaking deer trail you idiot ,gets old after awhile .

I used to hike Minnewaska state park
We used to go to Minnewaska regularly. Was best to get there early and avoid the WEs. Finding parking would get difficult fast!

We would bike into the second lake, swim and eat lunch, then bike back. It was a good time! Then they closed things for a while (something with the water?) and then a fire, and we have not been back.

The toilet/outhouse facilities there are amazing! Solar powered / recycling ... off the grid and no smell at all! It was pleasant to change clothes from swimming to biking in them.

I once saw Falcons fighting with each other there, it was incredible!

I know, I know, it was the last day of early antlerless season ... but we just finished butchering my grandson's deer yesterday and the wife wanted to go for a hike ... so we went for a hike! Boy, thinks are changing too fast!

We first tried to go to our old spot (which we used for decades even though it went through private land) which was a shortcut up to South Mt. Beacon, but it was now posted so we could not go there.

So, we tried to go to some of our old spots to hike State land near Breakneck Ridge, only to find no parking signs on several places we used to park and over a hundred cars hogging the remaining spots! We ended up parking far North of where we wanted to go, but luckily there was a trail entrance there we had not been on previously (did I also mention that the Metro North train comes up on the WEs from NYC with hundreds of other hikers).

OK, so it was very crowded, and less than half the folks spoke English (mostly Asian and Hispanic). I was stunned by the look of the new trail. It was obviously built for "heavy traffic", and the signs made you think you were on city streets instead of on woods trails. The amount of granite steps installed up the hillside simply boggled the mind. I cannot imagine the number of hours it took to install them.

That said, we did manage to have an enjoyable hike, but anyone who thinks we need more people coming into our State was not there today!

To the North you can see Bannerman's Castle on Pollepel Island (formerly used to store surplus arms for an Army / Navy store in NYC). Directly across the Hudson is Storm King Mtn., and despite the "road signs" the Breakneck Ridge hike can be quite challenging. I actually did my good deed today and went up and helped a guy who got stuck.
I understand this issue well... NYS DEC and private land owners have shut down parking areas and marked access points as off limits. Trail head parking is often overflowing with vehicles. Scenic vistas are so crowded that it's sometimes like sitting in the bleachers at a ball game. Trails I've hiked in the Catskills for 50+ years are so crowded that it's no longer enjoyable... Trails around North-South Lake, particularly near Kaaterskill Falls are particularly bad. The last time we got near the falls it was like Disney World.... every language imaginable being spoken with women in sun dresses wearing sandals or flip flops... It's no wonder that "high rope" and helicopter rescues are a common thing in the Catskills now... The trails are rock strewn with roots and rock scrambles, definitely not a city park trail environment! Ill equipped inexperienced people who heard about places on social media, following maps on their phones (Stravia heat maps for example), get themselves into trouble regularly. We've been taking day hikes on the AT to get away from that nonsense... We recently did a 7 mile day hike on the AT and saw one section (or through?) hiker... nobody else. It was a pleasant hike.

I used to hike Minnewaska state park . But during Covid it seems everyone( from NYC) found out about it . After a while they had to put marker posts along the 44/55 to stop people from parking on the road . Traffic is nuts on weekends the other side of the mountain on rt52 Gragsmoore you need reservations on weekends and holidays. Same with the Blue hole on Peekamoose. My property abuts state land and even though its posted I have people hiking on my property when confronted they say they followed the trail , it a freaking deer trail you idiot ,gets old after awhile .
Blue Hole and other swimming holes were turned into garbage dumps by the masses "enjoying nature." It got so bad that now you need a permit and the permits are limited in number. Swimming holes near Woodstock were closed by the property owners for the same reasons and "the entitled" complain about them... I've been actively involved in building and maintaining rail trails. This is primarily in an effort to keep the masses on them so I can enjoy "the woods." I do use those rail trails to walk and bicycle but I spend more time on them with a vehicle and chainsaw. Regarding private properties. I and my sons, for example, are the only ones that actually have permission to use one property for recreation and hunting. You'd not know that by observation. People get annoyed when they "find me" deer hunting there. I had fun with them last season... I'd stand there with my 42" barrelled 18th century styled flintlock rifle in my well worn wool and big beard and just stare at them... channeling a Deliverance vibe. Neither I nor one of them said a word when I did that. 😉

I understand this issue well... NYS DEC and private land owners have shut down parking areas and marked access points as off limits.
We used to go up South Mt Beacon through Lake Surprise, which is owned by a campground. It was never posted, but now it is! It was, by far, the shortest way to get up there and was a very nice hike.

Lake Surprise is a Jewish summer camp, and several famous actors + comedians have been there. I'm disappointed they restricted our access to the State land. They never really used that section of their land for anything.

I found out about it decades ago from my friend Harold's son. He grew up near that site and knew about the access to State land through there.

I had fun with them last season... I'd stand there with my 42" barrelled 18th century styled flintlock rifle in my well worn wool and big beard and just stare at them... channeling a Deliverance vibe. Neither I nor one of them said a word when I did that. 😉
My Uncle Hank (who taught my brother and I to hunt and had a gun collection) used to go to Mountain Man get togethers (as Ol Dirt Dog) and participated in the Rail Raiders train robberies (in Margaretville).

He NEVER took does but would take a buck of any size.

His hunting gun was a Model 95 Winchester in 30-40 Krag (open sights) with a 28" barrel.

Attachments

• Hank-Ol-Dirt-Dog.pdf
    395.8 KB · Views: 0
  • HankHunting.jpg
    HankHunting.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 0
  • HuntingCabinYr2000-2.jpg
    HuntingCabinYr2000-2.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 0
  • HuntingPicsMe+Hank.jpg
    HuntingPicsMe+Hank.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 0
I understand this issue well... NYS DEC and private land owners have shut down parking areas and marked access points as off limits. Trail head parking is often overflowing with vehicles. Scenic vistas are so crowded that it's sometimes like sitting in the bleachers at a ball game. Trails I've hiked in the Catskills for 50+ years are so crowded that it's no longer enjoyable... Trails around North-South Lake, particularly near Kaaterskill Falls are particularly bad. The last time we got near the falls it was like Disney World.... every language imaginable being spoken with women in sun dresses wearing sandals or flip flops... It's no wonder that "high rope" and helicopter rescues are a common thing in the Catskills now... The trails are rock strewn with roots and rock scrambles, definitely not a city park trail environment! Ill equipped inexperienced people who heard about places on social media, following maps on their phones (Stravia heat maps for example), get themselves into trouble regularly. We've been taking day hikes on the AT to get away from that nonsense... We recently did a 7 mile day hike on the AT and saw one section (or through?) hiker... nobody else. It was a pleasant hike.
We camped at North South Lake campground a few years back and stopped at Kaaterskill falls. The next day a woman fell off the top of the falls and passed away. NS campground was not particularly busy then.

We had a lot of "tourist" issues around here during covid. Granted we have a lot of tourists every summer but the "new" crowd was a lot less respectful and dirty than the average tourist. It seems to have mostly gone back to the regular crowd this year.

Reminds me of back when the BP oil spill happened in the gulf, I was working down there then. The feds made them spend a bazillion dollars on tourist advertising for the affected areas. Only problem was the new tourists were assholes. After a few years they left and just the regular more respectful crowd remained.

Alright guys....here is one for you in the "What would you do?"

Found out my neighbor two doors down stole something from the back of truck of a friend at the boat landing down the road from us. This fellow rents this little place from my neighbor each summer and this is his third or fourth summer here. He goes south for the winter. I know he and his GF have been fighting this summer (I have heard them shouting a few times at each other) so wonder if this may be their last time here anyhow.

Now granted its just a small item (lets call it's value maybe 25 bucks) but theft is theft and I am not a big fan of knowing this dude is near my house. The owner of the item hasn't taken any action yet.

I was thinking that after he leaves for the winter (which will be coming up soon) I was going to talk to the owner of the place and just let him know what played out as he probably would have no way of finding out otherwise. I'd honestly rather not have the guy back in the neighborhood. Obviously this could backfire but I feel the owner is a fair guy and should know what he's dealing with.

We camped at North South Lake campground a few years back and stopped at Kaaterskill falls. The next day a woman fell off the top of the falls and passed away. NS campground was not particularly busy then.

We had a lot of "tourist" issues around here during covid. Granted we have a lot of tourists every summer but the "new" crowd was a lot less respectful and dirty than the average tourist. It seems to have mostly gone back to the regular crowd this year.

Reminds me of back when the BP oil spill happened in the gulf, I was working down there then. The feds made them spend a bazillion dollars on tourist advertising for the affected areas. Only problem was the new tourists were assholes. After a few years they left and just the regular more respectful crowd remained.
Things haven't really cooled off around here from what I've seen. It seems that people discovered during COVID that walking, hiking and bicycling are enjoyable activities... The Empire State Trail brings a LOT of touring bicyclists through the area. They spend money on food and lodging but otherwise have little impact on the trails or local area. The influx of new residents has continued and has had a negative impact on housing costs. Holy cow! Middle and lower income families are spending 50% and more of their two wage earner incomes on monthly rent... if they can even find a place. A home I know of has about a dozen people living at it... two in the shed in the back yard.

At the BIL Billy’s, 40 min in and one tank later

And he thought I was nuts when I told him I’d have it all bucked up today!View attachment 1113144
great foto!!! i feel inspired. 🤩 some farwood waiting, not too far from my house! (across street) all i need to do is sharpen up my chain on my lil go-to get 'em fast saw... :chainsaw:
zzzzxjg.jpg

My Uncle Hank (who taught my brother and I to hunt and had a gun collection) used to go to Mountain Man get togethers (as Ol Dirt Dog) and participated in the Rail Raiders train robberies (in Margaretville).

He NEVER took does but would take a buck of any size.

His hunting gun was a Model 95 Winchester in 30-40 Krag (open sights) with a 28" barrel.
I hunted Dry Brook Ridge near Arkville/Margaretville years ago... never went back. The guys I encountered from the city were fond of Remington semi-auto .30--06s. It sounded like a battlefield opening day as they'd empty their guns at any deer they saw.... to no effect. Buck, doe, fawn... didn't matter. At lunch time opening day a guy wanted to buy ammo from me as he was out! Prior to that I thought the stories were exaggerated... if anything they were understated!

Back