Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speaking of deer meat... I took advantage other day of a text i got... "you want any deer meat?" from a friends ranch... some days u just get lucky. đŸ€© pan fried back strap, DIY hand cut fries... brussel sprouts as a side... 👍 wanted to cook it trailside-like, but rainy few days, so inside. cast iron pan and in hot bacon grease, seasoned flour. how i like it...
.View attachment 1113636
View attachment 1113632View attachment 1113629View attachment 1113631View attachment 1113633View attachment 1113634View attachment 1113635
You could make a killin with your very own roach coach.

Call it “Backyard Lumberjack’s Kitchen Sink Fare”

Needs some advice. The neighbor down the lane sold their house to a Mennonite house flipper guy. We've been having issues with his contractors blocking the lane, burning the siding, shingles, construction debris etc.(the house is getting torn down to the foundation.) I've spoken with the "site" manager about it a few times and once with the owner. It gets better then it flares up again.
Yesterday after I got home, it was apparent from the fresh coating of black soot everywhere they were burning more siding and it looks like all the old foam board as well. My wife said the smoke was so thick you could hardly breath outside for several hours. Then they had a tree butcher in to drop several trees, including a huge white oak. (More to come on this in a bit.) Whim had the lane blocked up to the point my wife had to get out of her car and get him to move so she could get to work and the kids off to school. She was actually late feom having to find the guy.
I've spoken to the township and they don't seem to care much about it. (Private lane) so I went over to see if the owner or "site manager" (he's a lazy pos that stands around and acts important) were around. Neither were there so I spoke with the contractor and he claims the owner has the townships permission to burn building materials on-site. (I'll be checking on this today after work, however last I checked the ordinances we were only allowed to burn yard waste.) So I left it go till I could collect more information.
Assuming they are in the wrong, and since the township doesn't seem to care. What do I do to stop them from continuing to burn everything on site?
I got some ideas but they are certainly not legal.

I'll have to do that, or call the county office.
In my town you need a building permit to reshingle your roof. You have a place to fill out about what company is taking the shingles or where you are disposing them. Shingles are considered to be hazardous materials.

If you get low, you can bring your wheelbarrow over to I-96 and grab a couple loads.
MDOT has almost got everything cleaned up now, just need to remove a bunch of lifted stumps and grind a bunch that are still n the ground, all the wood on the shoulders and in the median is now cleaned up. Makes me feel good that I got gone what I did here in such a short time, and they've had multiple crews working on it for 3.5 weeks now :oops:.
From the eastbound side.
View attachment 1113542
View attachment 1113543
From the westbound side.
If you look close you can see a guy in the picture for size comparison, it'a a lot of wood!
View attachment 1113544
Whoa. Might as well spend the money and upgrade that to a 3-lane highway now.

Does anyone own a Foley Belsaw 1055 saw grinder with the chainsaw attachment? I found one for $125 with books and that attachment. I believe it has the scissor attachment and a few others. I know that their model 308 chainsaw sharpener is a high quality unit. What are your thoughts on these. Also the Oregon blade grinder 88 - 018. That is the heavy duty 1hp unit with the flexible light. They list for over $900. I can get it for $175..

Needs some advice. The neighbor down the lane sold their house to a Mennonite house flipper guy. We've been having issues with his contractors blocking the lane, burning the siding, shingles, construction debris etc.(the house is getting torn down to the foundation.) I've spoken with the "site" manager about it a few times and once with the owner. It gets better then it flares up again.
Yesterday after I got home, it was apparent from the fresh coating of black soot everywhere they were burning more siding and it looks like all the old foam board as well. My wife said the smoke was so thick you could hardly breath outside for several hours. Then they had a tree butcher in to drop several trees, including a huge white oak. (More to come on this in a bit.) Whim had the lane blocked up to the point my wife had to get out of her car and get him to move so she could get to work and the kids off to school. She was actually late feom having to find the guy.
I've spoken to the township and they don't seem to care much about it. (Private lane) so I went over to see if the owner or "site manager" (he's a lazy pos that stands around and acts important) were around. Neither were there so I spoke with the contractor and he claims the owner has the townships permission to burn building materials on-site. (I'll be checking on this today after work, however last I checked the ordinances we were only allowed to burn yard waste.) So I left it go till I could collect more information.
Assuming they are in the wrong, and since the township doesn't seem to care. What do I do to stop them from continuing to burn everything on site?
Probably contact DEP in Harrisburg about hazardous smoke from these numbnutz burning and possible contamination to you well from the residue. I forget which local TV channel has an "on your side " where they look into viewer complaints. Also find out if they have reported a "controlled burn" to 911. I don't think they would like the fire company showing up because of a report of a fire. Sometimes ya gotta be that guy.

I used up all of my 2x6's extending my tree house roof,

Resized-20230904-145034-S.jpg

SO, I loaded a log on my BSM,

Resized-20230816-125112-S.jpg

and started taking it apart,

Resized-20230919-132228-S.jpg

Instead of "edging" the first boards off each side of the log, I just started building firewood boxes with them,

Resized-20230919-143428-S.jpg

with that done, I split the "cant" and started taking 2x6's off them,

Resized-20230919-153055-S.jpg

and I got a nice pile of them, off that log too,

Resized-20230919-153623-S.jpg

that's it for today...

SR

Does anyone own a Foley Belsaw 1055 saw grinder with the chainsaw attachment? I found one for $125 with books and that attachment. I believe it has the scissor attachment and a few others. I know that their model 308 chainsaw sharpener is a high quality unit. What are your thoughts on these. Also the Oregon blade grinder 88 - 018. That is the heavy duty 1hp unit with the flexible light. They list for over $900. I can get it for $175..
Ya I have one you want it ? Come get it I have no use for it IMG_3721.jpegIMG_3724.jpeg

Alright guys....here is one for you in the "What would you do?"
I was going to talk to the owner of the place and just let him know what played out
What is the goal here? To let the owner know so he will not rent to the guy in the future? I see not wanting him in the neighborhood, but I'm not sure that will resolve it. It does have potential to backfire as you say. And it does nothing to correct the behavior. Seems to me that there needs to be a police report, assuming that they will look at it for a low value theft. Without that, everything is hearsay.

Surprised he is still in velvet. The ones up at my cabin seem to have lost it around the beginning of September.

No velvet on this guy!
In my back fields, all the 2.5year olds dropped the velvet, but the 1.5’s (spikes and forks) all still have the velvet

Oddly, at the Farm, the spikes in the front field had no velvet, but the ones in the back field did.

Man accused of gunning down neighbor during tree-trimming dispute

By Ben Brasch
September 19, 2023

A disagreement over trimming a tree turned deadly after an elderly man shot his neighbor, according to a Florida sheriff’s office, the latest example of a pedestrian situation in the United States ending with a shooting death.

Edward Druzolowski was arrested Sunday on a second-degree murder charge after admitting to detectives he killed 42-year-old Brian Ford for not leaving Druzolowski’s property while trimming trees along their fence line, according to the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office. Ford’s 8-year-old son watched his father get gunned down.

A 78-year-old with osteoporosis, Druzolowski told detectives he brought the gun for protection because he feared what being shoved to the ground would do to his body. Druzolowski’s wife told detectives her husband only meant to “scare” Ford.

Druzolowski said he never had problems with Ford. He said they hadn’t spoken in a couple of years. But he was afraid of Ford because Ford had told him in the past how he would win fights in prison.

“Edward said he was afraid Brian would have hurt or killed him if he didn’t shoot him,” detectives wrote.

Druzolowski told detectives he was in his bedroom watching football Sunday evening when his wife came in to say that Ford was cutting branches off their tree. He didn’t think much of it because he thought Ford was on his own property, according to the arrest report.

When Druzolowski’s wife came back later and said Ford was on their property, Druzolowski got his holstered .357 Magnum revolver wrapped in a blue handkerchief from the bottom drawer of his nightstand and went outside.

Druzolowski, in the arrest report, said he saw his gate open from his back porch and Ford with a chain saw. Druzolowski said he told Ford to get off his property, he told deputies. Ford essentially told him to mind his business and then cursed at him, Druzolowski said.

The older man said he then pulled out his revolver, threw the holster and handkerchief on the ground and aimed at Ford.

“‘You are pointing a gun at me, are you going to shoot me?’” Druzolowski recalled Ford saying as the younger man approached. Druzolowski told detectives he yelled for Ford to stop coming closer or he would shoot.

Druzolowski told detectives he keeps the first two chambers of his revolver empty as a safety measure. But aiming at Ford, he pulled the trigger once. Click. Nothing. He said Ford kept moving toward him. Click.
This time, the gun fired. Apparently there was a round in the chamber.
Druzolowski said he yelled for his wife to call 911.

Druzolowski said he hadn’t called 911 earlier because he didn’t think they would respond to a tree dispute between neighbors, plus Ford would be off his property by the time police arrived.

Authorities interviewed Ford’s 8-year-old son, who saw his father shot and killed. The boy said his father told Druzolowski, “I’ll cut your head off with the chain saw” but that the chain saw was not on or running.

Police found Ford face up with a chain saw by his right foot and two knives nearby.

@sean donato , call the fire department, tell them when you saw the black smoke you thought a house was on fire

Seen one neighbor do it to another

Guy stopped burning garbage when he was embarrassed by the fire trucks being in his yard

@svk box of nails tossed in the offenders driveway

I got some ideas but they are certainly not legal.
Yeah, me too but it's not gonna solve anything.
In my town you need a building permit to reshingle your roof. You have a place to fill out about what company is taking the shingles or where you are disposing them. Shingles are considered to be hazardous materials.
We do technically, however all they say is the old material needs disposed of properly.
Probably contact DEP in Harrisburg about hazardous smoke from these numbnutz burning and possible contamination to you well from the residue. I forget which local TV channel has an "on your side " where they look into viewer complaints. Also find out if they have reported a "controlled burn" to 911. I don't think they would like the fire company showing up because of a report of a fire. Sometimes ya gotta be that guy.
So, after work I had to run Into Lebanon to the post office and grab a box. Then stopped by my municipal building. They have a building permit, burn permit and according to their records did report they would be burning wood debris this week. I filled out a formal complaint with the zoning officer, which will get forwarded to the police department. (Share the same building.) Basically told the best thing to do is call the police when they are burning. Then they will come out and investigate.

Man accused of gunning down neighbor during tree-trimming dispute

By Ben Brasch
September 19, 2023

A disagreement over trimming a tree turned deadly after an elderly man shot his neighbor, according to a Florida sheriff’s office, the latest example of a pedestrian situation in the United States ending with a shooting death.

Edward Druzolowski was arrested Sunday on a second-degree murder charge after admitting to detectives he killed 42-year-old Brian Ford for not leaving Druzolowski’s property while trimming trees along their fence line, according to the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office. Ford’s 8-year-old son watched his father get gunned down.

A 78-year-old with osteoporosis, Druzolowski told detectives he brought the gun for protection because he feared what being shoved to the ground would do to his body. Druzolowski’s wife told detectives her husband only meant to “scare” Ford.

Druzolowski said he never had problems with Ford. He said they hadn’t spoken in a couple of years. But he was afraid of Ford because Ford had told him in the past how he would win fights in prison.

“Edward said he was afraid Brian would have hurt or killed him if he didn’t shoot him,” detectives wrote.

Druzolowski told detectives he was in his bedroom watching football Sunday evening when his wife came in to say that Ford was cutting branches off their tree. He didn’t think much of it because he thought Ford was on his own property, according to the arrest report.

When Druzolowski’s wife came back later and said Ford was on their property, Druzolowski got his holstered .357 Magnum revolver wrapped in a blue handkerchief from the bottom drawer of his nightstand and went outside.

Druzolowski, in the arrest report, said he saw his gate open from his back porch and Ford with a chain saw. Druzolowski said he told Ford to get off his property, he told deputies. Ford essentially told him to mind his business and then cursed at him, Druzolowski said.

The older man said he then pulled out his revolver, threw the holster and handkerchief on the ground and aimed at Ford.

“‘You are pointing a gun at me, are you going to shoot me?’” Druzolowski recalled Ford saying as the younger man approached. Druzolowski told detectives he yelled for Ford to stop coming closer or he would shoot.

Druzolowski told detectives he keeps the first two chambers of his revolver empty as a safety measure. But aiming at Ford, he pulled the trigger once. Click. Nothing. He said Ford kept moving toward him. Click.
This time, the gun fired. Apparently there was a round in the chamber.
Druzolowski said he yelled for his wife to call 911.

Druzolowski said he hadn’t called 911 earlier because he didn’t think they would respond to a tree dispute between neighbors, plus Ford would be off his property by the time police arrived.

Authorities interviewed Ford’s 8-year-old son, who saw his father shot and killed. The boy said his father told Druzolowski, “I’ll cut your head off with the chain saw” but that the chain saw was not on or running.

Police found Ford face up with a chain saw by his right foot and two knives nearby.
Life lessons, don't bring a saw to a gun fight.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!
So sad.

Back