Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood shelter in it's winter location .

IMG_20151011_122915.jpg

IMG_20151011_122932.jpg
Hey I like that. Looks good. I usually stage a weeks worth next to the closest door to my stove. It's on my deck under a roof but the snow blows in and cakes it if it's real windy. I'm going to add stealing your idea to my list of things to do!

How do you get your splits so uniform like that? ;)

It comes from the uniform tree , I put the word out . looking for more LOL
svk , I pulled aside all the 3' 2x's for projects or cut them later if we get a polar vortex ;)

another pic before i cut up the big rounds.View attachment 453106

Howdy! Those little poulans are tough! I have a bunch, they work great. I've said in another post, there's more dang wood cut up in the US with the cheapest farmbosses, ranchers and poulans then everything else combined.

Howdy! Those little poulans are tough! I have a bunch, they work great. I've said in another post, there's more dang wood cut up in the US with the cheapest farmbosses, ranchers and poulans then everything else combined.

Yeah, i was surprised actually. it handled it pretty good. Only bogged down a bit on the 30 inch rounds but got threw them. Biggest pain was that saw didnt have the antivibration handle, so i felt like jelly afterwards lol.

Took down and brought home another red oak. Man these suckers are heavy. What happened to losing water weight in fall? The rounds with the eye balls are from today. That is water seeping out 5 hrs after bucking.

Attachments

• 20151011_165946.jpg
    20151011_165946.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 30
Wow, never saw that happen, what kind of chain are you running?
3/8ths 50 gauge Oregon, semi chisel dpx. Chain grabbed and pinched and stalled the engine. I got it out, it was hanging, took the cover off and WTF... arrgg....took that 24 bar off, put the 28 on and finished out the tank with no issues (using my 371xp). I have no real idea what happened, never had this happen before. I've broken cutters but never drivers. First cut was fine, smooth, nice chips, etc. no problems. I think the big chunk of wood sagged and it pinched, I was sorta at an awkward angle, maybe I did it by bending the bar or something. Just don't know. Cutting up this tree is an adventure for sure, like cutting up a school bus. I have to take various huge chunks off of it.

Took down and brought home another red oak. Man these suckers are heavy. What happened to losing water weight in fall? The rounds with the eye balls are from today. That is water seeping out 5 hrs after bucking.
Nice clean pretty wood man! You are getting a great pile going there!

Ain't no lightweight oak..just ain't.

S Kurt, those non AV saws are even worse in the cold weather. Your hands will vibrate for a long time. Get a saw with AV, and you will never use it again. A nice 044 with a KS jug on the trading site, not pretty, but has been mechanically rebuilt, get it and you will love it, I promise! (and I'm not the one selling it). It will be so much faster and smoother than what you are using you will think it is Heaven!

S Dan, like Zogger says, Oak is always heavy. A little lighter when it drys, but don't expect it to be light after you cur it, EVER!

Back