Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had that exact truck back in the day, 1970 that I paid $1,000 for in either 1979 or 80. I cut and hauled my share of firewood with it too.....it was a good old truck until I let my brother and Jack Daniels use it one night.
Welcome to AS mr beaver, and the scrounging wood thread.
I'm a bit south of you, near GR :hi:.

Now, about that scrounging...

Mitch texted me on the morning of the marathon that he had a tree down. Big bifurcated candlebark snapped off at the base. Took a big branch of a blue gum and a peppermint on the way down. On a bit of a slope too. Definitely met the key criterion - ugly. :innocent:

View attachment 1121343

I mostly cut the branches and piled up the junk. Would have been very good for bonfire material for the initial flare up but next bonfire is too far away in May.

View attachment 1121344

View attachment 1121345

I think I'll use most of the big stuff for bonfire core. Candlebark wood is ok for firewood but the bark is thick and full of ash so unless you want to clean out the fire box every few days you need to debark. Since I currently have access to an enormous amount of dead peppermint, I won't bother with that. Tidying this up helps Mitch out. He is going to use the excavator to bring the big stuff down once the ground is dry enough. Ended up with this for the morning before I had to go to work.

View attachment 1121346

View attachment 1121347

Scrounge on :rock:
Yeah, looks like a nice little hill to work on there. Good thing you been doing all that cross training to stay in shape for firewooding :happybanana:.
Should make some nice firewood for ya :blob2:.

2013 F150 supercrew long (6.5) box 3.5 EcoBoost. I averaged 13.8l/100km or 17mpg, in murican, over the last 6000km. That's combined, city, hwy, towing. Love the turbo motor, nothing tows like it in a half ton. 90% of torque is in by 2000rpm so you don't have to buzz it hard, just let it lug.

2013 F150 supercrew long (6.5) box 3.5 EcoBoost. I averaged 13.8l/100km or 17mpg, in murican, over the last 6000km. That's combined, city, hwy, towing. Love the turbo motor, nothing tows like it in a half ton. 90% of torque is in by 2000rpm so you don't have to buzz it hard, just let it lug.
Thanks for the conversion for those of us that are metrically challenged. :yes:

So me and the oldest nephew headed to the farm to check our deer rifles. I brought the .223 so I could check zero for coyotes. Afterwards we glasses the fields looking for woodchucks. Seen one, but he saw us first. But we did see a large healthy herd of deer. No bucks, but the ladies make great buck bait once the rut kicks. IMG_4430.jpeg

A first, we have 3 bear in one picture on the trail cam ... and a coyote a few hours later ... and still no deer!!!

Frustrating! Too many predators.

We plan to bow hunt up there next WE, but maybe I'll have to also bring my 223 and do some coyote hunting! We are allowed to shoot them at night.

Latest posts

Back