Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
djg james

djg james

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Who knew that cutting veneer would be so difficult... I've been tripping over this pile of red oak veneer in my shop for at least 15 years. It is past the time to get rid of it! Each sheet is about 14"-15" wide and 10' long. The pile was about 13" thick. I tried the reciprocating saw and that was a disaster... it simply ripped the veneer apart length wise. I figured I'd try the 170. It was still amazingly difficult to cut... To a lessor degree I still have the splitting problem but it will cut... slowly. It would take forever to clamp thin piles together with cauls and cut it with the circular saw so I didn't even try that... Maybe the 661 with an RS chain would do the trick? 😉

View attachment 1122725
Kind of a waste isn't it? You couldn't have try to give it away?

Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well, I flew into Charlotte NC, and some generous person in the airport gave me, at no charge, the whu-hon flu! AND, it really kicked myazz for several weeks.

Although I feel pretty good now, I have no stamina and have only been doing little piddly jobs, but with sunny 75 out, I decided to run my BSM.. So, off I go to get this "big ugly" and load it on the mills deck,

Resized-20230920-152821-S.jpg

I need construction lumber, so I milled 3-1/2" and 5-1/2" thick slabs, off the log,

Resized-20231024-151120-S.jpg

I then load them back on the deck, up on edge, and start taking off the lumber I need,

Resized-20231024-163400-S.jpg

I don't care about any "wayne" on the boards, as all of this lumber will be used to build firewood boxes, and it's not important at all if it's not hi-grade lumber,

Resized-20231024-163404-S.jpg

and here's what I got from that log,

Resized-20231024-170512-S.jpg

It took me a looooong time to get that lumber as I had to stop and rest over and over but at least I got it done!

SR

JimR

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Taking a day ioff from wooding tomorrow. Need to make a trip to the dealer in Moscow, Id to pick up my order.

One new hookeroon. I lost one of my two 3 months ago cutting in that willow bush. I need one in the wood yard and one on the truck.

Replacement starter mechanism on the MS362. It failed to rewind a month ago and they rebuilt it. Did it again last week. They fixed it but warned me that the pulley wobbles and needs replacement.

Out cutting again this morning in 40 degree with breeze. Good thing I broke out a set of thermals for the first time this heating season.
Is that Swiderski? Nevermind, wrong State.

JimR

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Having fun today noodling these 30" - 36" rounds so I can pick them up to split. This is all Ash wood. Some of these were very knarly like Oak. The split wood to the right I split up this afternoon after quartering it with my modified 268/272xp upgrade.

Attachments

• 20231024_175329.jpg
    20231024_175329.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231025_143141.jpg
    20231025_143141.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231025_174112.jpg
    20231025_174112.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
GrizG

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Kind of a waste isn't it? You couldn't have try to give it away?
Nobody wanted it... Two of us from my woodworking club got a big pile of it from a guy who got it from a defunct manufacturing facility. That guy used a few pieces and had it laying around for years... He offered it to the club so Bob and I picked it up. We each took about half, being on opposite sides of the Hudson, and offered it to other members. I asked a relative of mine if he had any use in his commercial cabinet shop... Nope. I used a couple sheets myself and decided not to do my family room in oak paneling, etc. as it went out of style. I had planned to make veneered doors for the house too... The world moved on! It turns out Bob had the same thing happen... nobody wanted it. He got rid of his pile years ago. It seemed like a waste to throw it out so I kept it... That is until the opportunity costs of keeping it got too big! Regaining the space and not tripping over it is worth more to me than any perceived value of the veneer. 😉 That square footage will hold my new Ferris mower. 😃

gggGary

gggGary

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Doing my part to get to 100K
Cut and bucked up a good sized ash to a bud's spec 20-24"
KIMG5007.JPG
We used a splitter for the top yesterday, but I went back today and got most of the trunk (4 rounds) with the 8 pounder. 3 rounds to go yet. Whew.
Gotta love ash, 3 hits and split!
KIMG5014.JPG

KIMG5013.JPG
KIMG5015.JPG
KIMG5017.JPG
Prayers for those in Maine.

GrizG

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Tapping into the wealth of vehicle knowledge here... Does any company make a decent direct mount trickle battery charger that will work with side mount batteries? I've looked for hours but have little faith in an off brand $10 unit... the only one that by description will work.

There is a parasitic drain in my mother's 2001 Chevy Blazer that cannot be found... This happened before and everything that could be un-enabled was un-enabled and a couple grounds were replaced... That worked for a couple years and now the problem is back. At age 88 now is not the time to buy her a new vehicle... After driving the Blazer for 22 years she'd never figure a new one out...

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
Tapping into the wealth of vehicle knowledge here... Does any company make a decent direct mount trickle battery charger that will work with side mount batteries? I've looked for hours but have little faith in an off brand $10 unit... the only one that by description will work.

There is a parasitic drain in my mother's 2001 Chevy Blazer that cannot be found... This happened before and everything that could be un-enabled was un-enabled and a couple grounds were replaced... That worked for a couple years and now the problem is back. At age 88 now is not the time to buy her a new vehicle... After driving the Blazer for 22 years she'd never figure a new one out...
About any brand that has ring terminals should work. I like the noco and battery tender brands.
Battery Tender 3 AMP Car Charger - Automotive Switchable 6/12V, Fully Automatic and Maintainer for Cars, SUVs, Trucks 6V/12V, 022-0202-COS https://a.co/d/bFDjySV
There's also no reason you can't cut the gator clips off and put your own ring terminals on.

NOCO GENIUS2D, 2A Direct-Mount Onboard Car Battery Charger, 12V Automotive Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, Float Charger and Desulfator for Marine, ATV, Truck and Deep Cycle Batteries https://a.co/d/elSqCaY

The Noco is my preference, but I have both brands in use currently.

MechanicMatt

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn

How about one that plugs into the cigarette lighter, my buddy got a cheap one like that for his older mother as it was very easy for her to operate

MechanicMatt

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Wow, a few days away at a hunting outfit in NC The it’s crappy service and I had PAGES to catch up

@Sawyer Rob glad to see you’re healthy enough to start playing with your wood again, I had that Rona bad a few years back and still feel like my lungs aren’t 80% of what they were! Good Luck

I tagged out at camp early, so I took the opportunity being off from work to drive across NC to stop at my BIL down here for a overnight visit then later today, I’ll drive to Johnson City to visit my daughter At College. She has one class today that is over at 1, visit till 6 and then drive back to Ahoskie (6 hours) to pick up my buddies for our return trip to NY Saturday

Sounds crazy, but I haven’t seen her in MONTHS and I miss her dearly

I’ll post the deer pics next

MechanicMatt

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
First buck, got him at first light on Monday. The guide told me, this guy had been shot at on the 3rd and missed. Didn’t show up back on camera until the 20th. I was sitting on a edge of a corn field
Hit him a little far back and he ran into the thick, double lung, but a tad back
IMG_4495.png71975347160__03F921D5-8019-43B0-A670-DE18B9110057.jpeg71975323777__6DDF89FA-45A0-43DA-A45D-C60CDAD4196A.jpeg

MechanicMatt

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Second guy, he was in a soybean field. I was after this monster 11 they had on camera. After sitting for a bit, the guide says, he we do have these other two shooters on camera on that farm. And send me pictures of them both.

Well, I doze off in the stand.

My buddy Billy, he’s hunting about 1.5 miles away in the “swamp” and he shoots. His shot wakes me up.

I see this big old body out in the field, I put the scope on him and I’m waiting. I see his head lift and I see the rack. So I drop him

Not the stud I was after, but I’m happy!!

Billy got an amazing buck!IMG_4496.jpegIMG_4498.jpegIMG_4517.jpeg

Latest posts