Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kid (ha, 29 and still “kid”) is a mountain of a man. 6foot 3ish, strong as an ox and an absolute gentle giant. Plays with my 14 year old 5 foot 4 daughter like she’s a doll

Heart of gold and willing to help me or Uncle Mustang whenever we need an hand

Kids been on borrowed time for longer than I can remember.

Funny story, it’s my sister’s birthday, I get home from school and wonder why my dad is home. I ask him why he is home?? He responds, what’s the greatest thing your sister can get for her birthday

“New mustang?”

No, better than that…

I shrugged my shoulders, pops said they found a match for Christopher

He was flown out to Pittsburgh Children’s Hospital, where an amazing team of doctors breathed new life into his body

I used to cry myself to sleep begging God to heal him. My prayers were finally answered, answered on her birthday

I went to the Troy-Bilt web site to look at chippers... keep thinking I could use one to handle 4"-5" and smaller stuff. Alas it looks like outside of a chipper vacuum they discontinued the chippers. However, they do make chainsaws now... and there is a sale! Anxiously awaiting to hear reviews!

https://www.troybilt.com/en_US/search?cgid=discounted-equipment

Trued up a bar and sharpened a chain for a friend last night. The bar had a burr so bad I could have used it as a knife. That took no time to knock off, but took quite a bit of time to get the rails dressed up. (He's been cutting circles for a long time now, even with a new chain.) Was pit far enough I took it to my belt sander first then got my file jig out and finished it by hand. Not as handy as a grinder but it gets the rails nice and flat. He gave me a chain he rocked too, thay took considerable time to get back in shape. I would have liked to cut with it before giving it back, but I forgot I didn't have any .404 sprockets to swap out with the 390xp or 394xp. He's supposed to be cutting this weekend, so I'm sure I'll get some feedback from him. I don't sharpen .404 real often, but I think it should do pretty well.

Damn, Damn, Damn. I talked to my Brother after he got home from hunting yesterday. He bow hunts a small strip of land that has a property line running lengthwise down the middle. Main trail is on the other side of the line. He saw the large bodied buck (6-8 pt?) again on the other trail and pass out of view. Then he must have scented the deer scent, crossed over and came back toward my Brother from behind. Brother hunts from a climber. He also has shoulder problems and can't hold a draw for long. Refuses to use a crossbow. Anyway, the deer comes up to him, 15-20 yards and my Brother starts to draw. Then the deer looks up at him, right at him. He doesn't snort him but just kinda hurries away. Brother thinks maybe his stand squeaked a little when he turned. He uses cover scent and takes care not to spread his own smell. So that's probably the end of his buck season.

I say this because, shotgun season starts this Friday and my BIL and his sons (all unethical hunters) hunt the same woods. They usually get the bucks that my Brother sees early in the season. it's happened before. Of course they hunt everywhere, even across the property line.

Brother is bummed to say the least.

Thanks for the link! My nephew that is a miracle of life (liver, kidney and intestine transplant at 11months) turns 30 next spring

He wants to go on a guided hunt for his birthday next March.

Gonna give these guys a look
My great grandson was a miracle of life for 5 years. He was born with a heart defect and received a transplant when he was just a few weeks old. He endured multiple treatments during his short life, but the joys he brought to everyone he met will out live all of us.

If you get to go on a how hunt with these folks, Bring a big knife and be prepared to get blood on ya. Better yet, let me know when your going and I will go with you.

My great grandson was a miracle of life for 5 years. He was born with a heat defect and recieved a transplant when he was just a few weeks old. He endured multiple treatments during his short life, but the joys he brought to everyone he met will out live all of us.

If you get to go on a how hunt with these folks, Bring a big knife and be prepared to get blood on ya. Better yet, let me know when your going and I will go with you.
He was one of a handful to get this surgery. They all became friends, but my grandnephew is the only survivor. It was very tough on him when the others passed over the years. He has been rushed back to Pittsburgh several times over the years to be "saved" again. It can happen just from eating the wrong food or catching a bug.

That said, the kid is 6'3" or 6'4" (depending on when you ask) but climbs like a monkey ... very impressive for someone his size.

I knew my scrounged butcher block would come in handy. Using it as a temporary top for the new kitchen cabinet. Going to make the top with milled Hickory . Bought a nice 36 inch gas range top too . But as always I wait till the last minute having 12 people up for thanksgiving so I don’t have time to do it IMG_7337.jpegIMG_7336.jpeg

Hi guys, sad day for our town. Two high school boys got in a car accident last night and the senior passed away. Certainly a tough day for my boys as my oldest son is also a senior and plays bb with these kids.

Went out for lunch with my assistant and they closed the restaurant just as we were finishing up as the owner is expected to pass today from cancer as well.

My great grandson was a miracle of life for 5 years. He was born with a heat defect and recieved a transplant when he was just a few weeks old. He endured multiple treatments during his short life, but the joys he brought to everyone he met will out live all of us.

If we go, I’ll definitely let you know when!

I guess not everyone is impressed with our trail cameras! And yes, Bears do it too!

View attachment 1128318
When I first moved back up to my cabin, we had foxes everywhere. We had 3 to 4 gray foxes and a couple of red foxes. They love to pee and poop on everything! It was funny because my now ex sent me a picture of piss all over the snowbank on our deck, and blamed me for it. I said I wasn’t even over there look at the tracks in the snow!

Latest posts

Back