Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rain stopped so I headed over to the neighbor's to drop two Oaks and cut up a Cherry tree that is already down. All three are cut up into 80" lengths. The first picture is the 12 " Cherry. The rest are the Oaks which are 8" and 14". Hopefully on Friday I can trailer them home. I need to find a missing 2 5/16 ball that is on a 2" trailer hitch tongue that I have somewhere.

Attachments

• 20231122_155450.jpg
    20231122_155450.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231122_155539.jpg
    20231122_155539.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231122_161536.jpg
    20231122_161536.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
I looked at the LEM site and this one can't be that powerful for the price. Probably same as your cabela's model.
I just posted the new one to give you an idea of what we currently have. The old white plastic one worked great for many years. I'm certain it was around 1/2hp. Wish I could find a picture of it on the internet.

Pulled two 14' trunks from yesterday's ash tree drop up into the pasture for bucking,

KIMG5211.JPG
Two more trailer loads and a bucketful now split, and in the racks.
KIMG5202.JPG
KIMG5207.JPG
KIMG5213.JPG
Props to my lovely wife, worked with me all day, did half the splitting!
KIMG5206.JPG
She's out trimming horse feet now.
Happy turkey day all youse scroungers!

Drove 11.5 hours today to have Thanksgiving down in NC, my daughter made the 1hour drive from her college

We are all piled up at my BIL and SIL house

To say I’m in heaven having my mini me with me, that’s an understatement!!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Wife’s whole family are blondes, me and my Kristina….. we’re brownies
IMG_4964.jpeg

Hey guys. Hog hunting was good although we didn’t shoot great.

The first night four groups saw zero hogs. Second night we saw 16 and got two. A couple got lucky. Nice thing about head shots is either you have a dead hog or a clean miss.

I got a sow that went about 180#. My friends son got a boar that was about 150#. Boar was in full rut, talk about stink!

For those who haven’t tried it, hog hunting is a lot of fun.

Putting the cart before the horse, I know, but for those of you who grind your own meat, do you have this particular model:
https://www.ruralking.com/lem-countertop-meat-grinder-8-575-watt-1224
It's only 3/4 HP. Is that enough to get the job done? Not looking for speed because it would only be around 50#? at a time. Just power. Had a HF model and it burned up right away.
Good price?
I have a STX, 3/4hp, 2000w. It also has the #12 grinding plates. I have had it for about 4 years and grind about 75lbs of meat a year. I usually do about 25lbs of country sausage at a time. Takes about 30 min to grind and stuff in those 1lb game bags. I use the smallest hole grinding plate and I bought a large dia stuffing tube just for those game bags. I never use the stuffing tubes that came with the grinder, well I did once, and then bought the large tube. For sausage, I only grind once. I stuff as I grind straight out of the grinder. What takes time is the deboneing and cutting up the meat for the grinder. I like to use boston butts and will add about 4 or 5 lbs of pork fat as I mix. Once cutup and mixed, I put the pan of meat in the fridge over nite. This gives the seasoning time to work and even out, and makes sure the meat is cold for the grinder. Warm meat is slower than cold meat.
If buying a new grinder, I would look for one that uses at least #8 grinding disc, the larger the better. If I didnt own a stuffer, I would also buy a large dia tube to fit the machine. Another plus is the foot pedal to control the grinder. One thing I have been thinking about buying is one of those paddle mixers. A good mixer that will mix 25lb of meat at a time cost as much as or more than, the grinder.

Man all the michiganders are going to loose their Sh!T !! When they see me using pine cones as fire starters AND pine wood!!

OMG!!!:crazy2:
1700736124479.png
Guess I'm in trouble too. Picked up a 5 gallon bucket of pine cones the other day for fire starter. Hope I don't burn the shop down.

Hey guys. Hog hunting was good although we didn’t shoot great.

The first night four groups saw zero hogs. Second night we saw 16 and got two. A couple got lucky. Nice thing about head shots is either you have a dead hog or a clean miss.

I got a sow that went about 180#. My friends son got a boar that was about 150#. Boar was in full rut, talk about stink!

For those who haven’t tried it, hog hunting is a lot of fun.
I'm no expert on feral hogs, but domestic boars always stink bad (inside and out).
When we have to get rid of a breeding boar it either gets buried or becomes dogfood.

They say if you cut them first, most of the stink goes away.....so with wild hogs people just need to shoot off the oysters first and let em off-gas for a few months before harvesting em....lol.

View attachment 1129970
Guess I'm in trouble too. Picked up a 5 gallon bucket of pine cones the other day for fire starter. Hope I don't burn the shop down.
Try burning a few greasy pizza boxes. People will call the Fire Dept. saying that you have a chimney fire. I know this from experience of burning them in my stove. I had flames shooting out of my chimney.

Back