Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work “ends” at 5 yet I feel like sometimes that’s when the real work begins

Yesterday it was hauling the weeks worth of wood up to the house from the pile

I really need to stop slacking and move the winter’s worth up to the deck, probably tackle that Sunday after church

When I need to go shopping in the big city, I go to Baraboo. I'm about 35 miles west of you and am also harvesting dead ash. I've processed over 60 trees and have lots more to cut. I get $250 per full cord delivered. And I am familiar with rocks in the woods.
Adds here on CL for Red Fir…$500/cord 😳
that is insane…
for that price they should deliver, stack and carry bundles inside for you…every day. Geeze…

For the page ....
3/4 cord of 24" OWB fuel.

View attachment 1131574View attachment 1131575
ez 3/4 cord... all cut up in chunks. i know the guy, mite ask him tomorrow what kind of wood is it. hinted of being oak! just sitting on street curb one place i seen on my evening bike ride... put out today! and another could be couple cords. cut down abig pecan. 24-30" diam trunk, i'd say off hand. it did make a mess of the street there at those 4 houses each season. i only seen it in the dark, street light but the branches are many and lots of cut -n -stack sized firewood. or cooking wood. next to all that is the trunk!

acorns falling non-stop! when i pass one other house... with a metal roof... i can always hear... blink!.... blink!... as acorns fall and hit it...

Burning down the coals my wife stock piled all day…View attachment 1131645
.zzzzxcf.jpe
reminds me of my new lil instant fireplace. a 48" wood burner is going in up at my wilderness cabin restoration project, but the space i drew out and mocked up seems to be wanting. i took an instant shine to it! i like it so much i bot me another one. a movable fireplace! 🤩 each time i press the remote and it fires up.... i think of it up at the cabin... and say to myself, "perfect!"
zzzzxefp.jpe
my in city home's kitchen is open to den. has 3 wood burning fireplaces! poster installed! (w/contractor) always wanted a fireplace to be in den and enjoy while cooking and doing KP. but, too big a remod construction job for several reasons. so now i have my fireplace in the den... :heart: it! :blob2:

Food…..
Pigs are very friendly and make good pets if a person is into that sort of thing.
We let a few of our meat pigs roam around the place in the fall to clean up the acorns.
I think everyone should have pet pigs, because who wants to eat dogs & cats when things get tough....lol

Pigs are very friendly and make good pets if a person is into that sort of thing.
We let a few of our meat pigs roam around the place in the fall to clean up the acorns.
I think everyone should have pet pigs, because who wants to eat dogs & cats when things get tough....lol
well, over in VN they eat dogs... and some of the local texmex food trucks have been thot to use the latter on their tacos!! :omg:

sometime back, we went to a friend's NYE event for the evening... he had a pet pig. lived in the house. it seemed to be a happy pig! don't know what ever came of it... i see bacon is in grocery today at $8.49/#! we passed :omg:

1701321633515.png

For something different :rolleyes: we were out by the back "fence" cutting down, bucking, and splitting dead ash today.
View attachment 1131615
Our township called Greenfield, should be called ROCKfield...
Neighbor calls that shaggy, peeling bark tree a bitternut... dunno. Allison came up and was splitting and piling. Prolly a face cord today.
View attachment 1131616 View attachment 1131617
Couldn't get the mower and trailer any further, steep uphill. We're working past the corner in the distance, roughing out a woods/CC ski trail as we go. NOT hand carrying logs down snow covered hillsides. Mebby put chains on the mower tires?
View attachment 1131614
Tomorrow I'll try with the skidsteer. WAY more ash than I will ever get to waiting out there.

My rider mower wears chains all winter moving a 2.5x4' trailer full of rounds over to the split/pile area, some fairly good slopes to work up/down.

Broke in this new 261 stihl on the smaller stuff… this is a huge oak and i’m not even close to cutting the trunk which over 3 feet across. the timberjack proved to be priceless as under that grass is gravel and gravel and chains don’t do so well.

View attachment 1131457View attachment 1131458View attachment 1131459View attachment 1131460View attachment 1131461View attachment 1131462
You were what? Like in your 50's when that tree started growing. :buttkick: :laugh: Love the 261. Should really wake up after 8-10 tanks.

Latest posts

Back