Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had my full carry (concealed) permit since 1982 and have never pulled my gun in anger or seen anyone else do so (and I' a member of the local Fish + Game club, and everyone comes armed). We have almost 600 members.

The former Sheriff of Putnam County used to brag that we were the safest County in the State of NY because we issued the most carry permits.

With the current trend of "freeing all the criminals" I have never felt that it is more important for law abiding citizens to be armed. Self-protection is a RIGHT! If guns are made illegal, only criminals will have them. All the cities with the highest crime rates have suppressed 2nd amendment rights for decades. As a result, law abiding citizens are unable to protect themselves (but criminals have not trouble getting guns).

Owning a firearm is also a responsibility, and there is no replacement for civilized behavior.

If guns were the cause of crime, places like Switzerland and the Isle of Man would not be so safe! (That's right, the Isle of Man refused to be subjected to the British gun restrictions). That said, there is no replacement for civilization no matter where you live. The definition of an "assault weapon" will change with every incident. Was not long ago that the cure to all crime was to ban "Saturday Night Specials", whatever the heck they were (usually defined as affordable handguns).
I've had my concealed carry permit in NY since 1981. Unfortunately I've been in situations where I would have been fully justified shooting if I had a gun with me. My deliberate actions combined with shite luck let me get away unscathed... I was robbed while bicycling on an isolated stretch of road by three guys with long histories (before and after me) of robbery, kidnapping, assault, attempted murder and other charges. I was repeatedly attacked by beer bottle throwing red necks on A1A in FL while bicycling. Another time, while carrying, I let an attacker know that if he continued he would be shot... he quickly retreated. Not long afterwards he was arrested on multiple counts of raping a female minor over a long period of time. On one of my bicycle trips I had two separate instances down south where letter carriers approached me and said "you shouldn't be here" and "you need to get out of here." Hell, I was just following my maps (paper ones)! For several years I did street light inventories at night, on my bicycle, including in crime ridden areas of my city... areas where I attracted the attention of gang bangers due to my flashing tail light and headlight and my stops at seemingly random places (utility poles). I carried a pew pew and had a Sure Fire flashlight and a cell phone with me. I reported over 360 outages myself. The city ended up replacing a bit over 2,000 fixtures with LEDs for reliability and energy savings.

Granted, I've been "out and about" on foot and by bicycle a lot over the past 50+ years. In that time the damned two-legged varmints have been far more troubling than any bear, deer, elk, coyote, bob cat, alligator, water moccasin, dog etc., that I've encountered. Now that I'm over twice the age where I can be trusted (like aged guys know what I'm talking about 😉) I may appear more vulnerable than I did in my 20s and 30s so the risks haven't declined while I'm out and about.

Well, I gave in to my older daughters wishes

She carried a 3.6gpa through her first semester at college. This from a girl I had to battle almost every week during her high school years to get her to do her assignments. So to reward her, well, she now has her first guitar. Been in her room learning notes all evening. Cheap Fender with a cute little amp. She absolutely is overjoyed.

My wife….. ehhh not so much

I told her, if Cailey (younger one), said dad I like that lever action or Bolt action rifle, I wouldn’t hesitate. Kristina is FINALLY doing great in school. If rewards keep the great grades coming. Maybe drums are next.

That last line was for humor, she didn’t laugh…..

She’d been asking me for a guitar for a few months now, I pray the wife gets over it soon 🤦‍♂️

A few more gems from the master himself.

“One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that ‘violence begets violence.’ I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure—and in some cases I have—that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.”

“A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it.”

“The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.”

A friend of mine gave me this old vintage power saw. It's in rough shape and by the looks of it. She hasn't run in a long long time. Probably never will again either. It appears to be missing some parts. Like the throttle handle and stuff. It's pretty cool and interesting though. Check it out guys! 👍20231220_213304.jpg20231220_213627.jpg20231220_213523.jpg20231220_213535.jpg20231220_213357.jpg20231220_213343.jpg20231220_213332.jpg

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

A friend of mine gave me this old vintage power saw. It's in rough shape and by the looks of it. She hasn't run in a long long time. Probably never will again either. It appears to be missing some parts. Like the throttle handle and stuff. It's pretty cool and interesting though. Check it out guys! 👍View attachment 1137477View attachment 1137478View attachment 1137479View attachment 1137480View attachment 1137481View attachment 1137482View attachment 1137483

Nice old saw KK.. Looks looks like a model 60.
https://www.acresinternet.com/cscc....2e7a6fa527e268d488256b47000d87c2?OpenDocument

A friend of mine gave me this old vintage power saw. It's in rough shape and by the looks of it. She hasn't run in a long long time. Probably never will again either. It appears to be missing some parts. Like the throttle handle and stuff. It's pretty cool and interesting though. Check it out guys! 👍View attachment 1137477View attachment 1137478View attachment 1137479View attachment 1137480View attachment 1137481View attachment 1137482View attachment 1137483

Screenshot_20231221-071331.png
That's a cool piece of history. Imagine how a guy felt wielding that.

That is an oldie. I have an old Titan but not that old.

We have been having some very good weather, I even managed to get some logs sorted,

Resized-20231220-142003-S.jpg

When I get some time, I'll turn those into 2x6's...

SR

Definitely want to hold on to that one, eventually you or someone you know will need a part or 6 off of it.

Latest posts

Back