Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish my week went smoothly

I feel for Sean, nothing worse when our loved ones are hurting and we are helpless to help

Here is the email I had to send

Remember when I said “put everything in writing”

“Eric, I hate to be the customer that complains about service as I am the person at the dealership that handles 95% of our customers complaints but I feel you need to hear my displeasure with you company.

Your filed technician came on Wednesday the 20th to perform what I was told a mandatory 50hr PM that is fully covered by the warranty.

Upon his leaving, the very first time we went to operate our $68,000 piece of machinery, it fails. It fails in the middle of our shop with a 600lb engine on its forks. Being that it is blocking our shop and has a trail of hydraulic fluid leading from it, we needed to quickly assess the situation and move it out of the way. We found that the filter for the hydraulic system was the culprit, having two gaskets now instead of one. It will not properly seal. We remove the gasket and operate the machine low on fluid to move it out of the way.

I contact Brandon last night to notify him of the situation and he assures me that he will be by today to repair the machine.

He arrives this morning and starts to clean up all the hydraulic fluid from the machine and make it fully operational. He now cannot make the "new" filter stop leaking and does not have another on his truck. We still had the old filter from yesterday in one of our oil buckets. He reinstalled that filter and as of now I walked away as, I know he is doing his best but I am beyond frustrated and do not want to be perceived as the "jerk customer".

Hydraulic pumps that run at the pressures needed to operate a forklift are very reliant on the fluid to keep them lubricated. So now I have a $68,000 dollar machine that is only a few months old that was operated below proper fluid level and experienced an unfortunate failure to its system. What is xxxxx going to do to remedy this?

If this was one of my customers, they'd be in my office demanding I clean their driveway (we already cleaned the mess in our shop, don't worry about that), they would be wondering if I was going to re-do the maintenance, they'd be wondering if the component that just was operated lacking proper lubricant was going to be replaced or the warranty extended on it.

Please let me know what xxxxx is going to do for WS Healey to make this unfortunate situation right.

Matthew Noviello
Fixed Operations Director
WS Healey Chevrolet”

Ughhhh, always something

In happier news, this fella Sampson seems like he is gonna fit right in with us

On the firearms front

I was once threatened by a guy wielding a Beretta 9mm, I quickly drove home with him giving chase. I got home, loaded my shotgun and called 911

I told the operator the situation and told them if he comes to my door I was going to shoot through the door and kill him

The operator told me I couldn’t do that, I replied, like hell I can’t it’s gonna be me or him and I don’t wanna die

He showed up, driving an Oldsmobile Aurora, red (crazy the details you can remember) and as we was coming up to my door, 3 state troopers pulled up

He got charged with illegal possession of a firearm, obstruction of justice and menacing

I will tell you, I was never so scared in all my life

Had to go fill out supporting depositions and go to his trial

I was beyond frightened, but adamant it was gonna be him and not me

Case of mistaken identity, another guy almost hit his kid with their car. He thought it was me!

We all can think we are gonna be tough, but when push comes to shove…. I was scared like I had never been before in my life

It’s something to know that you might be taking someone’s life in the next few moments

Well, I gave in to my older daughters wishes

She carried a 3.6gpa through her first semester at college. This from a girl I had to battle almost every week during her high school years to get her to do her assignments. So to reward her, well, she now has her first guitar. Been in her room learning notes all evening. Cheap Fender with a cute little amp. She absolutely is overjoyed.

My wife….. ehhh not so much

I told her, if Cailey (younger one), said dad I like that lever action or Bolt action rifle, I wouldn’t hesitate. Kristina is FINALLY doing great in school. If rewards keep the great grades coming. Maybe drums are next.

That last line was for humor, she didn’t laugh…..

She’d been asking me for a guitar for a few months now, I pray the wife gets over it soon 🤦‍♂️
Here's a good starter set ;).
Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 10.10.38 PM.png
It was the two door Alero

Crazy what your remember

That had to be 24 years ago!
But what model was the Berreta :laugh:.

Definitely want to hold on to that one, eventually you or someone you know will need a part or 6 off of it.
Spoken like true hoarder
:laughing:

Here's a good starter set ;).
View attachment 1137695

But what model was the Berreta :laugh:.
M92, nickel or stainless

He brandished it and I hit the gas and drove like my life depended on it

I don’t often think about that afternoon, but when I do, it comes back pretty clear

I remember being beyond frightened I might be shooting to defend myself

I think if I had less time to think about it, I’d react instinctively. But given time to think about it, it’s quite terrifying

I know, wild. I’ve been in MANY a fist fight

But a life or death gun fight, that is something entirely different

And…..

That is why I keep coming back to scrounging thread

Guys with balls willing to say what needs to be said!

Not sure how my post got interpreted so outrageously.. I suppose I didn't properly characterize this audience

I support 2A and everyone's right to carry and self defend..

I was just trying to point out that not everyone wants to have to learn how to operate and train to use firearms in order to feel safe in their day to day lives, and that far too often ego battles end up turning into gun battles.

Sorry that my opinion got you folks riled up

M92, nickel or stainless

He brandished it and I hit the gas and drove like my life depended on it

I don’t often think about that afternoon, but when I do, it comes back pretty clear

I remember being beyond frightened I might be shooting to defend myself

I think if I had less time to think about it, I’d react instinctively. But given time to think about it, it’s quite terrifying

I know, wild. I’ve been in MANY a fist fight
LOL.
I had a similar incident(although I have no idea what he had, must have been an assault pistol ;)), while driving, I put him in the ditch :happybanana:. It was like it was meant to happen, not sure why anyone who knows me would thing that attacking me when in a car is a good idea :dumb:.
Picked this guy up who was walking in the pouring rain one day, he said why'd you pick me up, well because it's raining and that's what I'd want someone to do for me(lets just say, it wasn't "my" part of town). So then the guy says, don't you know I could kill you, I said I have a seatbelt on you don't and theres a big tree! The rest of the ride was pretty quiet:laughing:.

Wish my week went smoothly

I feel for Sean, nothing worse when our loved ones are hurting and we are helpless to help

Here is the email I had to send

Remember when I said “put everything in writing”

“Eric, I hate to be the customer that complains about service as I am the person at the dealership that handles 95% of our customers complaints but I feel you need to hear my displeasure with you company.

Your filed technician came on Wednesday the 20th to perform what I was told a mandatory 50hr PM that is fully covered by the warranty.

Upon his leaving, the very first time we went to operate our $68,000 piece of machinery, it fails. It fails in the middle of our shop with a 600lb engine on its forks. Being that it is blocking our shop and has a trail of hydraulic fluid leading from it, we needed to quickly assess the situation and move it out of the way. We found that the filter for the hydraulic system was the culprit, having two gaskets now instead of one. It will not properly seal. We remove the gasket and operate the machine low on fluid to move it out of the way.

I contact Brandon last night to notify him of the situation and he assures me that he will be by today to repair the machine.

He arrives this morning and starts to clean up all the hydraulic fluid from the machine and make it fully operational. He now cannot make the "new" filter stop leaking and does not have another on his truck. We still had the old filter from yesterday in one of our oil buckets. He reinstalled that filter and as of now I walked away as, I know he is doing his best but I am beyond frustrated and do not want to be perceived as the "jerk customer".

Hydraulic pumps that run at the pressures needed to operate a forklift are very reliant on the fluid to keep them lubricated. So now I have a $68,000 dollar machine that is only a few months old that was operated below proper fluid level and experienced an unfortunate failure to its system. What is xxxxx going to do to remedy this?

If this was one of my customers, they'd be in my office demanding I clean their driveway (we already cleaned the mess in our shop, don't worry about that), they would be wondering if I was going to re-do the maintenance, they'd be wondering if the component that just was operated lacking proper lubricant was going to be replaced or the warranty extended on it.

Please let me know what xxxxx is going to do for WS Healey to make this unfortunate situation right.

Matthew Noviello
Fixed Operations Director
WS Healey Chevrolet”

Ughhhh, always something

In happier news, this fella Sampson seems like he is gonna fit right in with us

On the firearms front

I was once threatened by a guy wielding a Beretta 9mm, I quickly drove home with him giving chase. I got home, loaded my shotgun and called 911

I told the operator the situation and told them if he comes to my door I was going to shoot through the door and kill him

The operator told me I couldn’t do that, I replied, like hell I can’t it’s gonna be me or him and I don’t wanna die

He showed up, driving an Oldsmobile Aurora, red (crazy the details you can remember) and as we was coming up to my door, 3 state troopers pulled up

He got charged with illegal possession of a firearm, obstruction of justice and menacing

I will tell you, I was never so scared in all my life

Had to go fill out supporting depositions and go to his trial

I was beyond frightened, but adamant it was gonna be him and not me

Case of mistaken identity, another guy almost hit his kid with their car. He thought it was me!

We all can think we are gonna be tough, but when push comes to shove…. I was scared like I had never been before in my life

It’s something to know that you might be taking someone’s life in the next few moments
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't very shaken with my encounter. Having had that experience, I still don't know how I would react faced with a similar situation. I think about such things quite often at night, how would I handle a situation if someone broke in the house, or tried something with my wife and kids. I just started dating my wife back when that happened, I like to think I'd act differently, a bit more calm and less shaken up. But truthfully I'm not sure how I'd react, and I really hope I'll never have to find out.
knife/tool making has always fastened me, but I've never found the time or spare money to get into it. Truly a fine craft to heat, beat, and hone metal into a beautiful, functional tool.

I'm not sure when they restricted handguns here in Canada. I'm 56 and all I ever remember is that not many had them and their use and transport was very limited. Until we moved to the USA, I had never seen a handgun except for on the hip of a cop. For most of the 90's and 2000's I lived immersed in the southern gun culture of Arkansas and Mississippi. I enjoyed owning and shooting both long guns and handguns. We got used to seeing people carrying guns, in the grocery store, their cars.... A fellow I know had split with his wife but they were getting back together. Her ex boyfriend shot her then himself in broad daylight at the business adjacent to where I worked, I heard the shots. A coworker of mine was shot by another coworker of mine. A friend's brother shot himself at a party, blew his brains all over another friend of mine. I had a young man point a gun at me because I had politely asked him to turn his radio down. These are some of my experiences. I'd bet that a lot of Americans have their own list of experiences. I'm not being judgmental or trying to start a debate on gun control. Just sharing personal experience. You can't know what it's like to live somewhere unless you have lived there. Since I've been back in Canada, I've only seen handguns on cops.
🤷 Crazy world we live in.

Latest posts

Back