Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KK, I'll bet you were glad you had a big gun that day, and probably would have preferred your 416 in that situation!

By the way, pretty coat on that one!
Mike, I hit him in the neck with the first shot. He was looking me right in the eye standing on his hinds. Even though it was only a fifteen yard shot. I missed his vertebrae and spinal cord. Lets just say my shooting was a little off due the the adrenaline in both I and the bear's veins and also due to the OVERLOAD of **** I had just UNOVERLOADED in to my hunting trousers! 🤣
Anyway, he dropped and started rolling and thrashing. He was rolling and thrashing so hard and fast it was a blur. Like to cats fighting. I momentarily saw a front leg go up in the air and an exposed target through the vitals. That was when I let fly with shot number two. That's the shot that ran him through and did him in. The trashing stopped almost instantly after the second shot fired. As his front leg started to slowly fall. I let fly with a third shot and placed it right next to shot number two. He was definitely expired at that point. A saw the grass moving just a little bit so I fired a fourth shot just to make sure. Now dont get me wrong Mike. I really like both my riflles in .338WM and its an excellent bear cartridge and I've taken bruin off Kodiak with both my .338's, In fact. I will continue to use a .338 for hunting bear. Yes, bullet construction
and shot placement is probably more important that cartridge type and I say "cartridge type" WITHIN REASON, but after seeing the terminal performance of a .416 on Brown Bear. It's the rifle I will always grab out of the safe if I'm backing another hunter. Or hunting bruin in areas with thicker foliage and cover. 👍

There’s a roll on eBay, I’d like get but haven’t pulled the trigger on it , from Australia lol
I be hesitant to buy an entire spool of it myself. Being as it is for one, .404 and for two. I've never run it to see if I like it. I'd definitely be interested in trying a loop of it though if I had the opportunity. 👍

I be hesitant to buy an entire spool of it myself. Being as it is for one, .404 and for two. I've never run it to see if I like it. I'd definitely be interested in trying a loop of it though if I had the opportunity. 👍
I really like using it in , less than desirable conditions if wood isn’t clean, it last much better than 3/8 pitch chain ,

It’s a older chain , witch isn’t made any more, I would be surprised if they had it ,
Double checked with my dealer just in case he had an old roll laying around but nothing. He said he can get it in 3/8. He wanted to know what nut stihl used .404. :laughing:

Yup did a couple tips on my bars , ezy - pzy
Super easy, but I have 4 pro saws and twenty different bars! That's a bit of time and money in buying and swapping tips and wheels. I have actually considered swapping over to .404 on all my big saws, but I will wait until I use up the two remaining spools of 3/8 chain I have. I can't justify replacing all my saw chain, tips and drive wheels. When everything Im currently running is STIHL working fine. I went to .50g when I was cut'n timber in 2022 a year ago. The only reason I did, is because I had to. All .63g light bars were back ordered everywhere across the country for months! .50g, LOL! 👎What a joke that **** is in big wood and in an industrial setting! Pain in the ass is what it is! 🤣

Super easy, but I have 4 pro saws and twenty different bars! That's a bit of time and money in buying and swapping tips and wheels. I have actually considered swapping, but I will wait until I use up the two remaining spools of 3/8 chain I have. I can't justify replacing all my saw chain, tips and drive wheels. When everything Im currently running is STIHL working fine. I went to .50g when I was cut'n timber in 2022 a year ago. The only reason I did, is because I had to. All .63g light bars were back ordered everywhere across the country for months! .50g, LOL! 👎What a joke that **** is in big wood and in an industrial setting! Pain in the ass is what it is! 🤣
I have a variety of them to 👍

Latest posts

Back