Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably 15-20 pieces.
If I put it on the bosses new smooth cook top I'd be living in the shop permanently.
Hey @svk is it safe for farmer steve to use his cast iron on a smooth top stove? If so will you please inform his wife so he lives to tell about it? Mostly so he can post pix tho.

Hey @svk is it safe for farmer steve to use his cast iron on a smooth top stove? If so will you please inform his wife so he lives to tell about it? Mostly so he can post pix tho.
Some say it's safe to use cast on the smooth glass but the manual we got says no. 🤷‍♂️

-10F outside, stoking two woodstoves pretty much 24-7, was 65 in the livingroom this morning.
Late in the scrounging proccess.
View attachment 1144634

Don't envy the hay burners this time of year.
View attachment 1144635
Well compare to that it's down right balmy here near Syracuse NY! Lowest I saw on thermometer was a little after I got up and it was +12ºF.

I did get up either 2 or 3 am to put some more wood in the Vermont Casting stove. When I finally got out of bed for the day around 6:30 AM thermometer in living room read 74ºF.

Built this house in late 1970's with 2X6 studs on 24 inch centers and foam insulation on outside walls. In the attic it has 6 inch fiber glass with about 12 inches of cellulose on top of that. Also cement block full basement with outside walls studded up inside the blocks and 3.5 inches of fiberglass insulation. Almost for forgot there's Jotul 118 wood stove down there so it stays in the mid 60's to low 70's down there!

zzzzxsl.jpg

not these people:

man!! it is cold out there! really cold! and only 33f. but, i went out and felt a headache immediately. winds i guess. but slight. and i am in 4th largest... and we go a city full of problems! traffic. got an 18 wheeler on it side W of town. been there for 4 hours, and expected to take 4 more... at least to right it up! remove it. is it slick out there?
the news guy went to other side of freeway on bridge. and another 18-whleer drive wheels spinning... and truck only moving inch at a time! and the traffic jam is monumental!! for miles! fun to be there... coffee in morning drive... and now stuck put in car etc for hours!!!
real mess. both sides of freeway shutdown!!!
and elsewhere here all the on n off ramps to freeways becoming an issue: black ice!
suddenly, my cold toes (even in flannel slips) not so much of a problem!!!

Some say it's safe to use cast on the smooth glass but the manual we got says no. 🤷‍♂️
Cast iron is perfectly safe to use on flat top stoves.

With that being said if you drag a hot skillet across the glass you'll be moving into the shop as they may scratch. Also due to their weight, if you were to accidentally drip a skillet onto the glass it may break it (especially if the glass is hot). Additionally, use extra caution with older iron that has a heat ring on the bottom as you are concentrating the heat to a smaller section of the glass. But they are perfectly safe to use.

Or you can give them to your buddies who collect iron. ;)

View attachment 1144594
View attachment 1144595
View attachment 1144597
View attachment 1144598
View attachment 1144599
View attachment 1144600
View attachment 1144601
Start to finish "No chase eggs" Easy clean up with a paper towel on my no stick cast iron pan. @svk supplied it. Eat ur heart out boys and girls! :drinkingcoffee:
nice! i like cast iron pans. got some dutch ovens, too. don't use them often. plan to put put in front of fireplace in wilderness cabin. like in the olden days. effect!

i dont do eggs in cast iron. hear it ok. but i prefer my oxo pans... winners of Am Test Kitchen fry pan shootout!
1705344446739.png

We've been using cast iron on a glass top range for 5 years now with no issues at all.....not being any more careful than we would on a regular electric stove.....go for it!👍

12 outside this morning . Fresh eggs from a friend runny yoke for me . No sides or bread this morning . Well I haven’t had bread in a few months . View attachment 1144616
😋

no yard eggs for me! sent my buddy a text. got any? no, don't know why!!

omg

just getting over a bout of RSV. had it in oct 2019 and it put me in the hospital for 3 days. i didn't feel bad, i just coughed my fool head off. slept in my a chair for 5 days because i couldnt lay down without hacking up my lungs. i have my little wood burner going too. stay warm
I know about coughing and my lungs was congested too from a respiratory infection. I went to the doctor and was in the ER for 6 hrs and got a albuterol breathing treatment every two hours and gave me a strong dose of mucinex.
Still got the nagging cough but i am better just tired from the lack of rest.

Latest posts

Back