Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well fellow scroungers I did it! I ordered a new milling chain from granberg. The one where every other tooth is 1/2 the width. I've just been curious to see the difference between it and my standard full chisel chains. I've been disappointed at how long it takes to make a cut and how much it labors a saw.
If I find the time , I plan to do an apples to apples comparison on the same log. Stay tuned!

Well fellow scroungers I did it! I ordered a new milling chain from granberg. The one where every other tooth is 1/2 the width. I've just been curious to see the difference between it and my standard full chisel chains. I've been disappointed at how long it takes to make a cut and how much it labors a saw.
If I find the time , I plan to do an apples to apples comparison on the same log. Stay tuned!
Are you talking about 1/2" kerf?

Stihl used to make a narrow kerf milling chain exclusively for Logosol. You could not buy them through a Stihl dealer. I used them when I milled the post and beam for my upstate cabin (from Ash logs). It was clearly a little faster (I used round file at the time). Last time I checked, they were NLA.

I now just use regular 3/8 full chisel square file.

I wonder if Police post speed traps. Would be affective and a good joke all in one.
They don't work and neither do those flashing speed signs that show how fast you are going. They set them for 40mph on my road. They shut off at 60mph. You would be amazed at how many people speed up to shut the signs off.

Stihl used to make a narrow kerf milling chain exclusively for Logosol. You could not buy them through a Stihl dealer. I used them when I milled the post and beam for my upstate cabin (from Ash logs). It was clearly a little faster (I used round file at the time). Last time I checked, they were NLA.

I now just use regular 3/8 full chisel square file.
That's ironic being they make everything else only available through Stihl dealers!

Well it was 13 degrees out yesterday and today. Both days I fired up my Kioti to bring in some rounds and 4 logs. The worst part is that the ground is still not frozen due to snow cover and way too much surface water from recent rain storms. Yesterday we got another inch of snow.
i got some rounds yesterday. chunks. just down the road from my place a bit. couple houses. walked it home... 👍 it was a chilly day! real nice, imo. ez afternoon's wood scrounge... (is that word still ok on this thread? 🤔) i was bundled up somewhat... felt like a day up in the mountains... gathering firewood. only, no winter snow! 🤩
P1010024.JPG

i got some rounds yesterday. chunks. just down the road from my place a bit. couple houses. walked it home... 👍 it was a chilly day! real nice, imo. ez afternoon's wood scrounge... (is that word still ok on this thread? 🤔) i was bundled up somewhat... felt like a day up in the mountains... gathering firewood. only, no winter snow! 🤩
View attachment 1146645
Scrounge word still allowed. Just covers other stuff along with wood.

Morning guys.

Busy but good weekend here. Basketball, attended our Lions district conference and also was able to connect with a few good friends. Our club was awarded the excellence award for our efforts in the 22-23 term. I received a leadership award as well. I do not volunteer for the awards but it does feel nice to get them, especially for our group.

The cold weather broke yesterday morning although we had high winds all day yesterday. It is a balmy 20 degrees here now as compared to the negative teens to twenties at the end of last week.

Scrounging some dead standing Black Locust with Hyacinth, our Fordson Major Diesel. Both are great for this cold snap.View attachment 1146286
yesterday; scrounging some dead lying oak! was a widow maker in-the-making. BAM! suddenly this heavy limb broke loose! hitt road hard!

hard to pass up on something like this!
P1010023.JPG
what it looked like just cleaned off street...
zzzzxtr.jpg
what a mess. they cleaned it up nicely. when i was done, i raked treet and blew clean both sides of road for the
homeowners.

That cause you gotta use the right pedal to merge, not the left.
Just watched a woman in Toledo slam the brakes on and come to a complete stop at the bottom of a ramp where the dotted lines started, she had another 1/4 mile of lane to use to merge :dumb: . I get told I'm number one for not moving over for people merging all the time, my favorite is when theres a weave lane all the way to the next exit a mile away :nofunny:.
If I can get a semi up to speed by the end of the ramp/weave lane, I sure as heck ain't moving over for a car!
i had a Peterbilt 1705935745284.png bearing down on me other day on freeway. traffic to L and R of me... i moved over and let him drive on by me. easier for me to move, than for him....

Latest posts

Back