Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 3.0 V6 in my parents 2000 Toyota Camry runs the water pump with the timing belt, as do Subarus back into the 90s and probably earlier, so unfortunately this is not a new thing
Haven't seen you around before Echo, welcome to AS and the scrounging wood thread.

Sitting here watching it snow eating my bacon that was cooked in the lodge, wonder if I should save the grease for anything 🤔 🤣.
Doing any green beans for dinner? A friend of mine Granny use to keep a can on the stove for cooking. Went into her beans and anything else.

Doing any green beans for dinner? A friend of mine Granny use to keep a can on the stove for cooking. Went into her beans and anything else.
We filter it all and save it, unless it's real dirty, then it get.poured on all the scraps for the chickens.
@WoodAbuser will be along shortly to edumacate you on finer attributes of bacon grease.:ices_rofl:
I'll be waiting to learn :reading::lol:.

You're correct...difference being a 2-4 hour job vs. an 8-12 hour job. Another difference is people aren't prepared for a $1500-$2000 water pump job.
Took me 1/2 an hour to change the water pump on the Cummins most of that was getting the shroud moved .

OEM Cummins pump cost me 100 and change

I should get a few pics of the trees that are an issue. I could trim them back some, but they still lean right towards the house and the trucks are 10 feet off my property line, the entire top hangs over the property line on my side. The tree that dropped the branch on the fence behind the wood shed I'll cut up for fire wood and toss the small stuff over his big fence. I'll fix the little wire fence. Keeps the chickens on my property. I'm hoping he kicks the bucket soon and his wife (I get along with her pretty well.) Let's me clean up the fence row and take a few trees down. But like they say, "only the good die young." he's like 80 and in pretty good health. Crabby old bugger he is.
Those rotten b-st-rds seem to live forever. Hopefully your wish comes true sooner than later. The tree my neighbor de-limbed is just a standing stem now. I had planned on removing it last Summer. When he had all the branches removed I just said to myself, thank you. Now if it dies and falls on his horse barn it will have been his fault, not mine.

Sitting here watching it snow eating my bacon that was cooked in the lodge, wonder if I should save the grease for anything 🤔 🤣.
Like bacon, bacon grease makes everything better. Especially when produced and used in cast iron. In an emergency it can be used in your greasegun for ZigZagging bears also.
@WoodAbuser will be along shortly to edumacate you on finer attributes of bacon grease.:ices_rofl:
WoodAbuser to the rescue! :laughing:
Edit: just finished cooking my sausage and eggs with bacon grease. In cast iron naturally.

I made a good contact yesterday for firewood . Tree company was cutting at a neighbors house talked to the owner of the company about the wood told me to take it . He also said he had been looking for someone to take wood . Told him I didn’t want any **** wood and he said he wouldn’t drop anything but hardwoods .
Getting a load next week at his place with my dump trailer, he said he had oak maple and black locust all in firewood length . Would do it this week but his yard is snow covered and he needs to clear a path to the piles

I made a good contact yesterday for firewood . Tree company was cutting at a neighbors house talked to the owner of the company about the wood told me to take it . He also said he had been looking for someone to take wood . Told him I didn’t want any **** wood and he said he wouldn’t drop anything but hardwoods .
Getting a load next week at his place with my dump trailer, he said he had oak maple and black locust all in firewood length . Would do it this week but his yard is snow covered and he needs to clear a path to the piles
That's awesome.
Curious to see what his definition of firewood length is. No matter though, you've got a saw or two in case it's not the same as ours:chainsaw:.

That's awesome.
Curious to see what his definition of firewood length is. No matter though, you've got a saw or two in case it's not the same as ours:chainsaw:.
My stove takes 21 inch wood . Most crews cut 16 to 18 inches as it’s easier to load specifically oaks and such

I always have the saws in my truck

Hmmmm,

I have a few more (few 🤣) runners, but this may be my three saw plan….
If(let's be clear that's not the plan), but if I had to go with a 3 saw plan, it would be 50, 70, 90, or 35/40, 50, 70. For jobs I typically get by with the latter, a 90 sure can be nice on a big solid stump, but a ported 70-79 does real well.
What I dislike about the 562, is it's so close in weight to the 371/371, then if you compare it to a 462 :cry:. That being said, it's sure nice to head out to cut with a bunch of saws that are all fueled up with sharp chains, you sure can get a lot done like that.

If(let's be clear that's not the plan), but if I had to go with a 3 saw plan, it would be 50, 70, 90, or 35/40, 50, 70. For jobs I typically get by with the latter, a 90 sure can be nice on a big solid stump, but a ported 70-79 does real well.
What I dislike about the 562, is it's so close in weight to the 371/371, then if you compare it to a 462 :cry:. That being said, it's sure nice to head out to cut with a bunch of saws that are all fueled up with sharp chains, you sure can get a lot done like that.
👍👍👍IMG_2174.jpeg

Latest posts

Back