Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The showed up a few years ago, and they do a WONDERFUL job of controlling the destructive porcupines.

They are supposed to be about the only animal that knows how to roll them over and kill them w/o getting quilled.

View attachment 1156370Found a track from one last weekend. It would climb up and then slide down the other side of the ridges. Pretty cool to follow.
I've heard of random sightings in my neighborhood, but quite rare. Good population of them just north of me in the U.P. There were a few odd claims of Wolverine sightings around here in the late 90's, but I'm betting those guys are what they saw.

I’ve seen them a few years now up at camp and the young fellow with a dozen acres between my brother in-laws and the big dairy farm, I was helping him track a deer and had one come past me.

Was tracking super quiet, almost still hunting, as the shot wasn’t the best and didn’t want to jump the Buck again, and this fisher comes trotting past

That day was pretty cool, saw a red fox and the fisher within an hour of each other

Speaking of 4 legged critters. Spent some time in the woodlot this afternoon, and stumbled on to some coyote tracks, and some other canine tracks that are too big to be coyotes, and likely not domestic dog. We ain't overrun with wolves like Minnesota, Wisconsin and the U.P., but they are around. Busch can for reference, notice the size difference.

20240224_151424.jpg20240224_151431.jpg20240224_151431.jpg

The video of the Fisher for anyone who it interested!

Also, did some research. They primarily eat Snowshoe Rabbits and Porcupines, but also Turkey, Bob Cat and Lynx!

They must be some tough little critters!
They are fierce predators for sure,

Cut a few tops this afternoon that the loggers left tangled up in the middle of the trail. Cutting them up where they lay isn't the easiest way to go about it, but there's no tractor available right now.
Running a loop of the Stihl RS Pro 23 narrow kerf .325 chain, as recommended by Squareground3691.

20240224_150807.jpg20240224_150330.jpg

Speaking of 4 legged critters. Spent some time in the woodlot this afternoon, and stumbled on to some coyote tracks, and some other canine tracks that are too big to be coyotes, and likely not domestic dog. We ain't overrun with wolves like Minnesota, Wisconsin and the U.P., but they are around. Busch can for reference, notice the size difference.

View attachment 1156480View attachment 1156482View attachment 1156482
Looks like wolf to me. We're overrun by our place north of Wausau. 20190112_145845.jpg
Here's a track pic for size reference.

Looks like wolf to me. We're overrun by our place north of Wausau. View attachment 1156483
Here's a track pic for size referenc

In cold winters where the Straits of Mackinaw freeze up, we see more of them as they will come down across the ice from the UP.

Latest posts

Back