Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added another "new to me" horse to my stable,

Resized-20240220-135152-S.jpg

I'm looking forward to changing all the fluids and getting it to work!

SR
You been hauling smurfs, what's up with the blue chain 😆.

There's always a doubter here that I have to ed-u-ma-kate, lol

Resized-20240226-175547-S.jpg

I paid for grade 100, and that's what the chain is tagged.

SR
Then they ordered it in blue, standard coloring for g100 is black or some would refur it as grey.
We use g100 for overhead lifting at work. Never seen it in blue color.

Attachments

• 20240226_182904.jpg
    20240226_182904.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Blue chains are grade 100 chains, I'm sure you know about chain grades.

You need good chains to hold smurfs down!!

SR
I do, but I can honestly say I've never seen those smurf chains before.
That took a turn... :laughing:
Other stuff...
Then they ordered it in blue, standard coloring for g100 is black or some would refur it as grey.
We use g100 for overhead lifting at work. Never seen it in blue color.
The 3/8 chains we used for hauling steel were rated at 10k they were steel lol. I'm not familiar with the color coding or grading, but I have seen different color chains in the steel mills, just thought it was for coding like chokers or double hooks.

I do, but I can honestly say I've never seen those smurf chains before.

Other stuff...

The 3/8 chains we used for hauling steel were rated at 10k they were steel lol. I'm not familiar with the color coding or grading, but I have seen different color chains in the steel mills, just thought it was for coding like chokers or double hooks.
I think we ran all Grade 80 when i was flatbeddin', but we didn't use chain a lot and none of it was heavy haul.

I think we ran all Grade 80 when i was flatbeddin', but we didn't use chain a lot and none of it was heavy haul.
Yep, 4 thru the eye and one over top with the coil bumped up against a block held by a chain, hammer down. Didn't matter to me wether it was eye to the front or the side, but either way you better have it tied down. Only time I used straps on a coil was over the top to help hold my tarps, and then one on the back or front to hold the extra.
Glad I don't have to toss tarps anymore, especially lumber tarps :baba:. You missing that 😅.

I was thinking about the color charts, wonder if the different color straps have different ratings. I see the normal yellow, then red and blue on occasion?
Funny how you can do something for so many yrs, but not know about some of the finer details of it. Must be how guys who cut trees for a living feel when they get on AS:laughing:.

I have a Ferguson to-30 joining the stable at my place

Again, it pales in comparison 🤣
Gotta start someplace.
Here's the first tractor I owned. When I bought it, I did so knowing I wanted to upgrade soon as possible. This one was a manual, with manual steering, two wheel drive, and had 625 hrs iirc. I did some fixing on it and then sent it down the road :hi:. Also notice, no barn in this picture :).
Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 7.34.16 PM.png
Then I snagged this one up. Same size chassis, but with hydrostatic trans, power steering, 4wd(sort of), and only 88hrs :happy:. Also to be noted, I didn't have a woodshed back then. I'm so glad to be done with tarps on wood :yes:.
Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 7.34.49 PM.png

Yep, 4 thru the eye and one over top with the coil bumped up against a block held by a chain, hammer down. Didn't matter to me wether it was eye to the front or the side, but either way you better have it tied down. Only time I used straps on a coil was over the top to help hold my tarps, and then one on the back or front to hold the extra.
Glad I don't have to toss tarps anymore, especially lumber tarps :baba:. You missing that 😅.

I was thinking about the color charts, wonder if the different color straps have different ratings. I see the normal yellow, then red and blue on occasion?
Funny how you can do something for so many yrs, but not know about some of the finer details of it. Must be how guys who cut trees for a living feel when they get on AS:laughing:.
Truth be told, I don't miss tarping, untarping, tarp sailing, rolling frozen tarps or repairing damaged tarps. Mytee sells the same identical strap in yellow, green, blue or pink to match your underwear, if you're that sorta' trucker. ;););)

Back