Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The high sugar content like honey inhibits bacterial growth as long as good canning practices are kept it will last years . I can it at high temps the syrup itself is around 217 * when put in the jar then I boil bath it . I’ve looked into using the instapot method basically pressure canning but deemed it unnecessary for the amount I make
I wouldn't ever trust an "Instapot" for canning.

I love them for pressure cooking but never for canning.

SR

I'm banned 6 months out of the year anyway 😂
They disabled my account a few years ago after it got taken over. Some scumbag was using my credit card to buy advertisements on FB. I had to open up a new account. I was pissed.

On another note I saw a Mass license plate today that said ZIGZAP. I would have taken a picture of it but the guy was doing 65 while I was doing 75 keeping up with traffic.

I wouldn't ever trust an "Instapot" for canning.

I love them for pressure cooking but never for canning.

SR
Pressure cookers are used all the time for canning . I Don’t do it with syrup because it gets it to hot and can ruin the syrup . There are plenty of videos using instapots for pressure canning it’s just a self contained pressure cooker . We use the Instapot all the time I do have an older one that goes on a gas or electric stove top .

Pressure cookers are used all the time for canning . I Don’t do it with syrup because it gets it to hot and can ruin the syrup . There are plenty of videos using instapots for pressure canning it’s just a self contained pressure cooker . I have an older one that goes on a gas or electric stove top .
Here's the deal, an independent lab tested the instapot and several other brands and found that they did NOT stay above 10 pounds pressure when they went to their off cycle, the pressure would drop just below 10 pounds.

If you know anything about canning, you know IF you drop below 10 pounds (at sea level) you have to start all over!

I bought the only one (electric) that DID stay above 10 pounds and that's what I use for small batches, for big batches I use one of our American canners.

I think my small electric canner is a "Curry" brand, that's rated for canning, not just cooking.

BTW, I have one of the non rated for canning, electrics too.

SR

Here's the deal, an independent lab tested the instapot and several other brands and found that they did NOT stay above 10 pounds pressure when they went to their off cycle, the pressure would drop just below 10 pounds.

If you know anything about canning, you know IF you drop below 10 pounds (at sea level) you have to start all over!

I bought the only one (electric) that DID stay above 10 pounds and that's what I use for small batches, for big batches I use one of our American canners.

I think my small electric canner is a "Curry" brand, that's rated for canning, not just cooking.

BTW, I have one of the non rated for canning, electrics too.

SR
Learn something new everyday.

I saw something about accessing your account from another person's phone when I was googled stuff earlier. 🤷‍♂️
Steve is messenger working for you?
I’ve tried from other machines with no luck. I need to wait for the appeal unfortunately.
It’s Uncle MustangMikes favorite of all my “pets”
Sarcasm detected ;)
That’s awesome

Do you make/cure/smoke the ham and bacon or do you take it somewhere to have it made? Nice looking pigs.

I wish I would've spent more time with my Grandpa when he butchered steers. He made cold smoked summer sausage that was out of this world. The recipes were all in his head and died with him.:(I found a local butcher who makes a very close version but it's $15 a lb, about $30 a stick.

Do you make/cure/smoke the ham and bacon or do you take it somewhere to have it made? Nice looking pigs.

I wish I would've spent more time with my Grandpa when he butchered steers. He made cold smoked summer sausage that was out of this world. The recipes were all in his head and died with him.:(I found a local butcher who makes a very close version but it's $15 a lb, about $30 a stick.
Yes, we do everything ourselves, it's just not cost effective to pay a processor.

Our bacon is very good, the hams are good but still need some improvement, our sausage is almost perfect now.

Actually my kids do almost all of the meat processing, I just buy the inputs and critique the outcome.

Yes, we do everything ourselves, it's just not cost effective to pay a processor.

Our bacon is very good, the hams are good but still need some improvement, our sausage is almost perfect now.

Actually my kids do almost all of the meat processing, I just buy the inputs and critique the outcome.
Awesome to keep those skills alive.:numberone:

Awesome to keep those skills alive.:numberone:
Yes, definitely.
Sadly it's not a matter of keeping skills alive anymore, it's more like the majority of the human race has forgotten how to do things basic to survival, so now we get to re-learn things that people had been doing for thousands of years.

Latest posts

Back