Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did have this silver maple when we moved into our house.
IMG_0869_zpspjuxif1f.jpg

That looked much better like this
IMG_0881_zps1pxqis26.jpg

I did have this silver maple when we moved into our house.
IMG_0869_zpspjuxif1f.jpg

That looked much better like this
IMG_0881_zps1pxqis26.jpg
I would refuse to mow until those big giant evergreens where gone.
I can't stand them, they make my sinus's go nuts:crazy2:.
I would use the sprayer on them with some alternate type of chemicals:yes:
Silver maples.... I can't wait to get this one down.

4227f4c0b08afdaffda821f1d39d6ef5.jpg
Get-R-Done, you got the saw power:chainsaw:

I would refuse to mow until those big giant evergreens where gone.
I can't stand them, they make my sinus's go nuts:crazy2:.
I would use the sprayer on them with some alternate type of chemicals:yes:

Get-R-Done, you got the saw power:chainsaw:

Those giant evergreens are the neighbors and are rubbing the siding on his house. I dont know why they are there. I have removed 8 or 10 spruce trees since moving in. Those trees were everywhere. The silver maple in the front gets a pass for a few more years until the crimson king we planted next to it gets some size on it. Then my arborist friend will take the silver maple down and not harm a tree or the drive way.

well stormy weather brings wood. my buddy called and said a big locust branch came down on his road and was blocking the neighbors driveway and mailbox. did i want it?:laughing::laughing::laughing:
View attachment 488278
Nice score FS, I can hear the conversation now;).
Branch down you say(slippin boots on), Black Locust are you sure(hat on, forget about the jacket)I'm on my way:sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet:
I like how you cut it a bunch of wacky sizes, forgot your arrow. You don't want all those scrap pieces that stuff is no good, here's what you need, some nice ash:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
Sometimes people ask silly questions:dumb:
Right.
I probably would have left without a jacket and just drug the thing home just in case someone else wanted to try and get in on the action:rock::crazy2::happybanana::dancing:.

Nice score FS, I can hear the conversation now;).
Branch down you say(slippin boots on), Black Locust are you sure(hat on, forget about the jacket)I'm on my way:sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet::sweet:
I like how you cut it a bunch of wacky sizes, forgot your arrow. You don't want all those scrap pieces that stuff is no good, here's what you need, some nice ash:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Right.
I probably would have left without a jacket and just drug the thing home just in case someone else wanted to try and get in on the action:rock::crazy2::happybanana::dancing:.
except for ends they are all 16" except the end pieces. there is an arrow or two in every vehicle 'cept the wifes and every tractor tool box has one or two. most of my buddies that cut wood have one too just in case they are cutting something for me. the only worry we had was that the neighbor called the township about the limb in the road.

I like the silver maples as a shade tree. I planted 3 when I built and they really grow fast! I also planted a willow (which my dad calls a rich mans tree. Costs nothing to grow and a fortune to get rid off) None of these are close to the house. I planted sugar maples as well and if I live another 40 years, I may get to tap them. Since I built on pasture land, and there were no existing trees, there won't be anything chainsaw worthy in my time.
Found another guy wants all the ash cut off his land. Free wood!

except for ends they are all 16" except the end pieces. there is an arrow or two in every vehicle 'cept the wifes and every tractor tool box has one or two. most of my buddies that cut wood have one too just in case they are cutting something for me. the only worry we had was that the neighbor called the township about the limb in the road.
Nice, glad you were prepared with a full quiver lol.
You should be worried about those township guys, they might come and confiscate the contraband for their personal stash.

I cut about a 1/2 a cord today, nothing over 6-7" cherry, box elder, and one 4" branch of black locust:sweet:. I still have a bunch more on my property and the neighbors to get to. I got a little cold and went in to warm up and couldn't shake the chill I had even though the house was 76, which is tropical to me:havingarest:. I went back out and filled the quad trailer up with 2 loads, but came back in quickly. I think I'm still getting over the crud I had last weekend, because I like the colder weather.
The little ms200 did great except when I didn't have it revved up a bit when starting a cut and the chain stuck the limb, it's a bummer having that sharp of a chain:lol:.

In my cutting area we a bit of ash , lots of red/swamp maple , a bit of sugar maple , a fair amount of white birch , a bit of yellow , a bit of black birch the odd beach tree and only 1 popple that I've found so far .
The popple is safe lol
45 minutes from here I can silver birch but it only gets to maybe about 4" max and then dies out , 45 minutes from here in the opposite direction there's plenty of that daum oak oak oak you guys keep blabbing about .
Wood Nazi , nice fire pics :)

In my cutting area we a bit of ash , lots of red/swamp maple , a bit of sugar maple , a fair amount of white birch , a bit of yellow , a bit of black birch the odd beach tree and only 1 popple that I've found so far .
The popple is safe lol
45 minutes from here I can silver birch but it only gets to maybe about 4" max and then dies out , 45 minutes from here in the opposite direction there's plenty of that daum oak oak oak you guys keep blabbing about .
Wood Nazi , nice fire pics :)

One shop I worked at years ago used white birch from NS, they got in railroad cars of it. Smallish diameter, but plenty of it. That was some of the nicest firewood I ever used, the scrap I mean. Most of their scrap got used in a GE steam boiler to do their own electricity for the shop, but there was enough employees could get some. At that time frame, I was feeding a room heater dragon and a wood cookstove. At home, I could only scrounge some nasty elm in the woods and some pine, $%^&&^& axe split that stuff every day, moved in, in the winter, with no stash, at least it froze super solid made it easier. But that scrap would get fresh cut burning fast and in the cookstove it was about as perfect as wood gets.

I like the silver maples as a shade tree. I planted 3 when I built and they really grow fast! I also planted a willow (which my dad calls a rich mans tree. Costs nothing to grow and a fortune to get rid off) None of these are close to the house. I planted sugar maples as well and if I live another 40 years, I may get to tap them. Since I built on pasture land, and there were no existing trees, there won't be anything chainsaw worthy in my time.
Found another guy wants all the ash cut off his land. Free wood!

I think silver maple is a good choice for a shade tree as long as folks do not have valuable items permanently beneath them. Lots of them in the yards around here and even more in the low ground. Maybe that is why a few call them swamp maple. LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_saccharinum
http://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_acsa2.pdf
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/acer/saccharinum.htm
http://eol.org/pages/583072/details

Grapple update.

I still need to add the cylinder and mount for the lid.
Looks great.
Is that new tractor SSQA.

Did you get the little one sold.
My son would still like to buy one.
My daughter said yesterday she wants to sell her quad so she can go to gymnastics class.
I made them work around the yard cleaning up the last batch of sticks before the snow to pay for skating $3.
I guess she would rather sell quads than do physical labor, I like both, the prior just pays better :envy:

Looks great.
Is that new tractor SSQA.

Did you get the little one sold.
My son would still like to buy one.
My daughter said yesterday she wants to sell her quad so she can go to gymnastics class.
I made them work around the yard cleaning up the last batch of sticks before the snow to pay for skating $3.
I guess she would rather sell quads than do physical labor, I like both, the prior just pays better :envy:

No unfortunately it is JDQA. Bu the rest of my loader implements were that already so it works out.

I am still waiting on my boss, I leave for Germany next week if he doesnt commit by the time i get home itll be up for sale. I plan on asking 12k for it, however if your son is interested tell him ill let it go for less.

Th
No unfortunately it is JDQA. Bu the rest of my loader implements were that already so it works out.

I am still waiting on my boss, I leave for Germany next week if he doesnt commit by the time i get home itll be up for sale. I plan on asking 12k for it, however if your son is interested tell him ill let it go for less.
Dang bosses so indecisive lol.
What yr model hrs.
To rich for our blood, but I may know someone about 20min from you looking.
They are straight south of Dutton. 76th and Hanna lake. I did some tractor work for them last spring.
Since it's quickly coming around to that time here's a few pictures. This was a job I "scrounged" off of craigslist. No one else would touch it.
Cut in drainage and tilled.

Attachments

• 20150427_191102.jpg
    20150427_191102.jpg
    704.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20150427_191045.jpg
    20150427_191045.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20150503_175820.jpg
    20150503_175820.jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20150503_175811.jpg
    20150503_175811.jpg
    911.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20150503_175858.jpg
    20150503_175858.jpg
    1,005.3 KB · Views: 42
Th

Dang bosses so indecisive lol.
What yr model hrs.
To rich for our blood, but I may know someone about 20min from you looking.
They are straight south of Dutton. 76th and Hanna lake. I did some tractor work for them last spring.
Since it's quickly coming around to that time here's a few pictures. This was a job I "scrounged" off of craigslist. No one else would touch it.
Cut in drainage and tilled.

2004 JD 4010 Compact
410 loader with 60 bucket
60 in mmm
760 hours
R4s with 160 rear weights per side.

I sent you a pm.

Back