Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a few pics of the neighbor's 'tops' that I was referring to. Still haven't caught up with him, but here's hoping I can at least scrounge some:
View attachment 489007View attachment 489009
Here's a scrounger's breakfast before venturing out to the sugar bush to check my taps, complete with fresh syrup:
View attachment 489010
And here's the view from the sugar bush:
View attachment 489013

Scrounge on fellas.

homemade syrup... and homemade pancakes! can't beat that!! :)

Made some progress on the grapple. Had to redo the cylinder locations to fit off the shelf cylinders. I'm dropping off the plywood templates and getting the clams and top brackets plasma cut at a machine shop. Hopefully they can do it fairly quickly.
View attachment 490140 View attachment 490141 View attachment 490142 View attachment 490143 View attachment 490143

like ur designs... we would expect it to be nice in steel... but the claw... in wood... great pattern! so will u trace the wood buck to steel and replicate in steel? wondering....

Backyard Lumberjack, I'm copying off a heavier grapple and reducing the size so plywood is more forgiving. I'll get a local shop to plasma cut the pieces. And yes all but the 2 pieces I will keep for future will end up in the OWB. Heats me twice, once when burning my brain trying to figure it out and again when I throw it in the OWB. Setting a house in Pickering this week so I will stop in at Princess Auto in Newmarket and pick up the cylinders on the way home. This should speed up dragging small tops out of the bush.

Backyard Lumberjack, I'm copying off a heavier grapple and reducing the size so plywood is more forgiving. I'll get a local shop to plasma cut the pieces. And yes all but the 2 pieces I will keep for future will end up in the OWB. Heats me twice, once when burning my brain trying to figure it out and again when I throw it in the OWB. Setting a house in Pickering this week so I will stop in at Princess Auto in Newmarket and pick up the cylinders on the way home. This should speed up dragging small tops out of the bush.

no doubt a piece a cake for a dude who routinely... takes over full streets and drops in houses... sections at a time. impressive! cranes even more!! :) if I was a tree... sure would hate to see 'that claw'... eyeing me over... lol iukwim! great fab up project... enjoyed seeing the handy craftsmanship... in steel, no less! :) I like the 3-pt set up... [yep!]

looking fwd to seeing the final version...

The only scrounged wood I handled this weekend was the stuff I threw in the furnace .
I love seeing pictures of you using the winch, I travel to Vermont this weekend to pick up the Igland 3501 I bought. It will lead a much tougher life here than it did in the barn where the guy kept it.

Shea
You back yet and where are the pics ?

got the wood all split and cleaned up from yesterdays saw carnage. made a nice pile. thanks nomad_archer. :rock:
View attachment 490123 View attachment 490124
Anytime. No seriously any excuse to exercise the saws, I am in for.

It also seems the wife has given up and does not care about my saw collecting anymore. I told her I was saw shopping on craigslist and she told me to have fun. Then we had a good laugh at a used stihl ms460 listed for $950. For a few pennies more you can have a brand spankin new ms461.

I managed to scrounge up some wood related items yesterday.
First was a wood splitter about 10 min from my house,
second was the Super Jolly,
third was the creamsicle:sweet::laugh: ms290 and 4 extra chains.
Hope to have the splitter and saw sold quick to pay for the grinder, just have to see what happens though.View attachment 489951View attachment 489952
You are going to really like that grinder. I bought the exact same model this past January thinking I would just use it to even out chains after they get filed inconsistently and fix rocked chains but I have not picked up a file since I mounted the thing on the bench.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Made some progress on the grapple. Had to redo the cylinder locations to fit off the shelf cylinders. I'm dropping off the plywood templates and getting the clams and top brackets plasma cut at a machine shop. Hopefully they can do it fairly quickly.
View attachment 490140 View attachment 490141 View attachment 490142 View attachment 490143 View attachment 490143

Awesome!!!!! Very handy attachment.

The neighbor built on similar for the skid steer this past fall. He found a smaller grapple on auction time.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/homemade-skidsteer-log-grapple.286855/

Works really slick and we have a pretty good system down now of me cutting a log load while held in the grapple. After he lets the last cut go he goes back to the log yard for another load and repeat/rinse. His turn around times are about 5 +/- minutes.

Almost forgot. Went with the neighbor yesterday to check out a job he's doing this week. The 394 is being put to a little different use this week.

He's going to be dredging out a local lake harbor and here he's making some relief cuts in the ice.

Aaaaaaand on the way we saw this guys woodpile. I think he wins.:eek:

Back