Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20160416_174041268_zpsledkvwfb.jpg

It's not firewood but I did scrounge all the lumber from work, pallets,crate, plywood, 2x, and 1x. I think i have about 30.00 in it. Ducks will be moving in soon. Any of the real farmers out there have any tips?

I put two dams down my ditch in the side yard so when it rains it fills up into duckponds, they love it! Certainly easier than constantly tending a kids backyard pool.

Shot up to 50* and sunny this afternoon so .....

IMG_20160417_131126.jpg

IMG_20160417_132803.jpg

I figured that it's time to start moving some wood before someone buys one of the lots that we have all the wood staged at .
I learned quickly to save the smaller sticks for last because the pile gets higher LOL
Second load to go .

IMG_20160417_140553.jpg

It was all good till I went to dump , I hit the switch and nuthin happened :(
Unloaded that one with my trusty pulp hook so it was pretty fast .
When I got back to the landing I figured I'd better have a quick look .

IMG_20160417_144738.jpg

Easy fix :)
With the hoist back in commission I cut a load for home .

IMG_20160417_161634.jpg

I've got more wood to split :)

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC
Trucking Division

Shot up to 50* and sunny this afternoon so .....

IMG_20160417_131126.jpg

IMG_20160417_132803.jpg

I figured that it's time to start moving some wood before someone buys one of the lots that we have all the wood staged at .
I learned quickly to save the smaller sticks for last because the pile gets higher LOL
Second load to go .

IMG_20160417_140553.jpg

It was all good till I went to dump , I hit the switch and nuthin happened :(
Unloaded that one with my trusty pulp hook so it was pretty fast .
When I got back to the landing I figured I'd better have a quick look .

IMG_20160417_144738.jpg

Easy fix :)
With the hoist back in commission I cut a load for home .

IMG_20160417_161634.jpg

I've got more wood to split :)

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC
Trucking Division
That trailer is badass.

The life of the urban wood burning scrounger is one of siezing opportunity.... And all sorts of wood. A house in the street backing on to mine has been undergoing some major renovation and rework, including the addition of rooms in the roof space. My regular neighbourhood walks (often at some odd hours, pushing the pram with my 7 month old daughter in an attempt to get her to sleep!) Had given ample opportunity for me to survey the work and the growing pile of building rubble appearing at the front of the property. This pile included a lot of roof timbers :clap: So as the house is not currently occupied I dropped a note through the door and hoped it would get read. First one lead to nothing :nofunny: This was frustrating, more so each time i looked out my rear bedroom window and gazed at the scaffolding around this other house....and annoyingly so with each pram push past the front and each longing gaze as more roof and first floor ceiling joists appeared on the pile. Soi dropped a second note through the door. Yay! :dancing: success, and permission to scrounge. So over the weekend ive done 3 trips with the car, scrambling over the rubble and fishing out all the easy timbers. Cut to 6' to fit the car and fill the boot. Ive ended up with nearly half a cord of mainly 2" x4", 80 year old kiln dried. Oh yeah! Easy heat. :havingarest:

@dancan , love the tippy trailer! If you want boards to raise the sides could you rig some supports down either side which can be pulled out, the top boards lifted off and laid on the support to provide a shelf, lift the rounds to the shelf, stand there yourself and lift the rounds to the top of the trailer, once full lift the top boards into place and retract your side supports. Just an idea.

Yeah hundreds or even thousands of years old stately homes and fire protection systems don't play well..neither do the homes and fire. Worst I can remember was Yorkminster, the very impressive cathedral in York, ruined, including its amazing vaulted roof and incredible stained glass windows.

20160417_191646.jpg Neighbor texted me today he have up on splitting these so I brought them home w tractor.
They were some big logs.
Towards the end I only could take one at a time.

While I was out there some guy dropped by and offered me 3 more cord that is cut already.
About 5 min from my place.
ChadView attachment 498975 View attachment 498975

It was beautiful T shirt weather and I got out today and did a half day of cutting. Took down a solid Oak and a hollow Hard Maple. Also lowed that 40+" stump a level.

When I got home, I got my newly acquired MS440 running. I must have done OK cleaning up the jug cause there was no smoke at all! I deleted the gasket, advanced the timing and installed a dp muffler. Fingers crossed it runs strong when I put a b&c on it.
How long is that longer bar? Is that your newest modded saw wearing it?

IMG_20160416_174041268_zpsledkvwfb.jpg

It's not firewood but I did scrounge all the lumber from work, pallets,crate, plywood, 2x, and 1x. I think i have about 30.00 in it. Ducks will be moving in soon. Any of the real farmers out there have any tips?
get chickens instead.:crazy2:

Had a great weekend scrounging.

I was able to pick two of these dump trailers saturday.

96ad0489c9a2057c2630a5573ac32cd6.jpg

b6c870981b4cac99f8f46e29969dacde.jpg

Then tonight I found two tree out at the curb. I was able to pull two truck loads out. They even helped loading. I have probably two dump trailer loads left if available, I'm guessing it is because it's all wood that needs noodled. I'll go back tomorrow.

053185986347a7d1d41156ad4541bf65.jpg

Right now the dump is sitting waiting to be loaded with two full loads of maple at another scrounge site. I'm busier than I have ever been. I'm swimming in wood.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

8aa5be1a40fa6c7585cf9fa51c5d3d8f.jpg

33d457bd4386d2e6d29943d278c09806.jpg

Nice hauls ryan.
Looks like the trailer was having the same issues as @dancan had:(.
If it needs a battery scrounge one up from Costco, they are cheaper there than anywhere I can get one.
I can pick one up if needed just let me know:).

Nice hauls ryan.
Looks like the trailer was having the same issues as @dancan had:(.
If it needs a battery scrounge one up from Costco, they are cheaper there than anywhere I can get one.
I can pick one up if needed just let me know:).
Batteries in dumps only make sense if you use it commercially, I think. I can run a set of cables to the tractor or the truck. Otherwise I feel you are always maintaining a battery or going to use it and finding a dead battery.

Back