Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2435b39051327fbc5f66b6305eddde2e.jpg

Scrounged up 3 of these roofs today.

10x16
8x16
9x9

Going to be my new wood shed roofs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Awesome deal Ryan.

Just strong wind. All three of them came from one loafing shed. Plus I got a bunch other sheet steel.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
You didn't happen to get any of the old rusted stuff did you:).

I use a couple wet paper towels, dip it in the ash in the stove. Scrub wet ash until it loosens the film on the glass then wipe off with clean damp then dry paper towels. The ash works wonders at cleaning the glass. I use no abrasives or cleaners. Do not clean glass unless it's cool.
I tried the ash thing, but I don't like it at all with black locust. You said no abrasives, the ash from locust can have some grit to it, I think that might be how i scratched mine:(. I did try one cleaner and I was totally unhappy with it. I wait til the glass has cooled some, but not anything I would want to touch. That's part of what makes what I do work. It's like cleaning a microwave, you put a bowl of water in on hi til it starts steaming, then you just wipe it out.
That's all I do is just wipe off the glass, then use the steel wool to get rid of any streaks, done.
Cleaning the glass-
Glass must be cold to warm, cool enuf not to boil the spray cleaner I spray on it.
Start at the top and wipe with clean cloth, on baked on I have used a razor blade.
Keeping the fire back from the door will help in keeping the glass clean.
Chippers, I hate to see what gets chipped, my chipper is limited to 3 1/2", anything bigger gets burned.
You need two pulp hooks, hook one in each end of the log, now you have a round with handles.
Tools with a splitter, hatchet, hookaroon and a pulp hook. You don't have to move your butt off the seat if you
place half dozen rounds within reach.

How does "Ugly Coyote Logging" sound?
Should I get some Tee shirts printed?
What cleaner do you use on yours.
I won't use a razor as I have scratched glass with them many times.
I have done a bit of auto detailing and used razors a lot and steel wool all the time unless tint was present.
Our stove loads north south so If my wood gets cut a little long I try and put it in at an angle, but sometimes I can't, and if there is any moisture in it at all it spits on the glass. My stove likes a good hot fire, so that's how I run it, and I only have a little to clean that is heavy on the outside couple inches of the glass.
I hate seeing that wood go in the chipper, but what can I do, I don't want to slow him down.

CAUTION! ARBORISTS AT WORK!

today, this morning... I went to get some gasoline for outdoor chores... etc. the gas station is close by. I took a route I normally do not take. one street over. omg, as I drove down it I counted 1, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12! a dozen scrounge piles of wood, limbs etc!!! a dozen! :surprised3: all down the street... some bigger than others, all in all...scrounge - able.

scrounging is fun stuff! free firewood. BIG scrounge... MED scrounge and evern LITTLE scrounge... then there is the new category, well haven't heard about it yet, so maybe am inventing it here... lol... the micro - scrounge! lol

had I wanted to work some of these scrounge piles, I mite have ended up with a MED scrounge. but I had decided to pass. needed gasoline. had things to do and besides behind on my CSS as it is... but just as I was about to leave... thinking I should return with my camera and get some pix... 'for the boys back home!' lol I spy me some ez pickin's. and when it comes to firewood... ez pickens always gets my attention. in such cases, imo... micro just as good as BIG! lol... it's all relative and the word free... is the unifying catylist. well, imo...

so here is the scrounge pile that caught my attention most:
P1010001.JPG

right off I see oak! and its the kind I like... seasoned. old and fell, I guess and plenty more in there. some newer. and I spy the 2 lil pcs on top. omg, I say... a micro - scrounge! :) this is actually, a pretty good scrounge considering it's an urban scrounge... free for the taking! a man could make him some nice bundle of oak firewood... easy enough! ;)

I really like the long oak limb that is mid-pile up front. an easy cutup :chainsaw: for sure. in any event, I park on side road and go and get the micro - scrounge... the two pcs of split oak. heck, I got a campfire in mind soon and perfect for that. I also see other suitable pcs in this scrounge I take...

P1010003.JPG

thot some might like to see some of the scrounges along this street...

this one I thot was oak. but it's not. would be just fine for outdoor fire pit, but I don't want to cut it up... one street over.
P1010004.JPG

some good oak etc under this pile. stump to noodle down... the street had about a dozen of these, various sizes...
P1010005.JPG

so once back at my urban timber yard, I unloaded my scrounge... and proceeded to work it up with my 'babykins' lil Echo... :) fired rite up and roared with a commanding authority... soon it had done its thing!!! :) [love that lil saw!]...

P1010024.JPG

CSS... perfect for a campfire start!
P1010025.JPG

and that is what we did... me and Brutus... had another 'daily' campfire... on oak... it was only 84F or so out... lol. I just love a campfire...

and here is my 'today's' micro scrounge... bucked, stacked and making fire... oak, lots of oak!

P1010027.JPG

P1010028.JPG

P1010029.JPG

I really enjoy seeing it take off... I think the early stages, building it, lighting it, getting it going... most fun part of any campfire... unless way cold, then the heat ranks #1 lol.
P1010030.JPG

and like never too much firewood, imo... there is never too much smoke. imo... it's all in the smoke! lol
P1010031.JPG

well, that's my micro - scrounge for today. hope you may have enjoyed coming along with me... not too big by BIG standards, but certainly good enough for my needs! keep them saws running, sharp and your eye out for your next scrounge... be it BIG, MED, LITTLE or... micro! ;)

Congrats! Some folks here call that 'Zogger wood', due to his comments on not wasting the smaller stuff. Since I live in the city, on a city lot, most of my scrounges hav been 'micro scrounges' - don't even have room for any macro scrounges!

(P.S. 40V battery saw is ideal for micro scrounges - always ready-to-go, and almost ninja stealth like!)

Philbert

Congrats! Some folks here call that 'Zogger wood', due to his comments on not wasting the smaller stuff. Since I live in the city, on a city lot, most of my scrounges hav been 'micro scrounges' - don't even have room for any macro scrounges!

(P.S. 40V battery saw is ideal for micro scrounges - always ready-to-go, and almost ninja stealth like!)

Philbert
did a google search for "ZOGGER" wood and it's for real...... well it must be. i saw it on the internet.:yes: most of the pics are from "scrounging firewood".:rock2:

Attention Hoarders:

What are we supposed to do all summer?

Much easier to hoard in the summer, as you aren't burning any or as much. Also, if you have to go scrounge curbside, craigslist, asking tree services, etc., the heat wussies thin out leaving more scrounge to garner.

Plus, offroad easier without deep winter snow or deep winter mud, most places.

Much easier to hoard in the summer, as you aren't burning any or as much. Also, if you have to go scrounge curbside, craigslist, asking tree services, etc., the heat wussies thin out leaving more scrounge to garner.

Plus, offroad easier without deep winter snow or deep winter mud, most places.
Ever had ticks all over your sack and legs?

This thread is beautiful diverse it is split in 2. It's got your full on lumber merchants farmer Steve and dancan ( yep, your full on now) and it's got'roots' guy scroungers. Zogger, myidol..ZOGGER! no wood too small. Even backyard lumber is a choosy wood toff by comparison! Maine wood, ... OurOP.. True ZOGGER scrounging. Me.....I feel I'm scrounge. I'm desperate, give me wood! Any wood! I work for sticks!

Still love dancans pics, and Steve vk, mike and All, great guys, great stories, great, info, great photos, .... But scrounging? Zog, is gold toa true Scrounger.... You guys aren't wood snobs but you aren't filling your trunk with zog..... I want more zogstories!

Latest posts

Back