Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No wood scrounging this weekend but I did put together a scrounging tool on the dump trailer .

IMG_20160724_143048.jpg

So I had to test it ;)

IMG_20160724_150902.jpg

IMG_20160724_150909.jpg

Gotta weld in a couple of support ribs under the floor and modify the position of the jack .
Polly gonna get a cheapo electric winch in there to bring stuff closer .
That big flat rock ended up being my new front step :)

Well, the Little Log Hauler, with recent modifications, saw duty in the Adirondacks today! (Note the pivoting log grippers) My neighbor Chris sold the bark from several White Birch, so we went around and dropped a few and hauled the logs back. It worked very well with the mods, but at the end of the day I noticed a bubble in the tire. I will be bringing it back to HF to see what they say. Otherwise, very pleased with how it worked!

I'll see if I can post a few of my pics. (We are in luck!!!)
Very nice! That would be handy.

No wood scrounging this weekend but I did put together a scrounging tool on the dump trailer .

IMG_20160724_143048.jpg

So I had to test it ;)

IMG_20160724_150902.jpg

IMG_20160724_150909.jpg

Gotta weld in a couple of support ribs under the floor and modify the position of the jack .
Polly gonna get a cheapo electric winch in there to bring stuff closer .
That big flat rock ended up being my new front step :)

good set up. I would expect it to pick up chunks. but u being able to manage a rock like that... WOW... that really defines it... :)

Thanks, yes you are very close, good eye, 94, 454, nv4500 5 speed, it was cheap because no one wants 454 mpg but I got 15 mpg driving it 100 miles home and they are a good motor.

Around here it is the opposite, the big blocks go for a premium, either street rods or hugemongous mud trucks.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned because of the 800 some pages....

Every Spring power companies trim trees, Craigslist has posts for the logs that were left behind. Leave pull tab adverts anywhere you can... All high foot traffic stores and places where chainsaws are sold or farm supply stores.

Leave an add on Craigslist for people to drop off wood, many will.

MSU Surplus Store in the Lansing area has free lumber drop off... It's nice having pine studs for fire starter....

Every Spring power companies trim trees, Craigslist has posts for the logs that were left behind. Leave pull tab adverts anywhere you can... All high foot traffic stores and places where chainsaws are sold or farm supply stores.

MSU Surplus Store in the Lansing area has free lumber drop off... It's nice having pine studs for fire starter....
Always good to get back to the basics!

My cousin lives in the outer suburbs of Minneapolis and has a sign at the end of his driveway "we take wood" and has years of back supply from people delivering him logs and rounds.

Just read through first 10 pages...

Advice on Craigslist adverts-
Give them a specific day to expect you.
If their response is, "It's first come, first serve." Or something similar.... Then don't bother with those jerks. Hopefully nobody picks up the wood and they get fined by the city... :buttkick:

Had to share the latest scrounge. Friend of a friend introduced me to a homeowner who had taken down several pines. I love burning pine in my OWB. Figured it would be maybe a load. I went today in the 96 degree heat of the afternoon to assess it and see how much sawing was involved. Turns out it was already firewood length and stacked on the side of the road. We loaded my 5 x 10 foot trailer in 12 minutes. The nicer thing is there is at least 2 and maybe 3 more loads ready to pickup with no sawing involved. Going back in the am for more.

Worked on emptying my trailer from the storm scrounge. Lots of the wood still had small branches attached as we were cutting in a hurry. So tonight I headed out with the boys axe and "detwigged" two heaping wheelbarrow loads.

Going to need a maul for the trunk pieces as they stick together pretty well.

Had to share the latest scrounge. Friend of a friend introduced me to a homeowner who had taken down several pines. I love burning pine in my OWB. Figured it would be maybe a load. I went today in the 96 degree heat of the afternoon to assess it and see how much sawing was involved. Turns out it was already firewood length and stacked on the side of the road. We loaded my 5 x 10 foot trailer in 12 minutes. The nicer thing is there is at least 2 and maybe 3 more loads ready to pickup with no sawing involved. Going back in the am for more.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Had to share the latest scrounge. Friend of a friend introduced me to a homeowner who had taken down several pines. I love burning pine in my OWB. Figured it would be maybe a load. I went today in the 96 degree heat of the afternoon to assess it and see how much sawing was involved. Turns out it was already firewood length and stacked on the side of the road. We loaded my 5 x 10 foot trailer in 12 minutes. The nicer thing is there is at least 2 and maybe 3 more loads ready to pickup with no sawing involved. Going back in the am for more. 2nd load picked up.

Attachments

• pine.jpg
    pine.jpg
    788.3 KB · Views: 36

Craigslist is usually a go to source but this year has been bad, I can call the 1st day and it's gone . I get lots of kindling from skids or the local snowmobile dealer. I am with you on the 1st come idea, I got robbed by a jerk who asked me to take the brush 1st and come back for the wood. Like an idiot I did and came back to no wood:mad: He tells me it was 1st come 1st served, I wanted to drop a tree on his house. Later it came to me I should have hauled the brush back in his drive and say 1st come BUDDY.

Craigslist is usually a go to source but this year has been bad, I can call the 1st day and it's gone . I get lots of kindling from skids or the local snowmobile dealer. I am with you on the 1st come idea, I got robbed by a jerk who asked me to take the brush 1st and come back for the wood. Like an idiot I did and came back to no wood:mad: He tells me it was 1st come 1st served, I wanted to drop a tree on his house. Later it came to me I should have hauled the brush back in his drive and say 1st come BUDDY.

omg, hardly can believe it! that would PO anybody!!!

It's always something.

Went to put on the new to me (free) bias ply tires on my trailer to limp it back to the cabin. Guess what? Rims were right pattern but small center hole. No go.

Axle is bent so it's sitting right where it's at until I get the new one. Enough dicking around. I was planning on replacing it this fall at the cabin but I'll order it Friday and pick it up next Friday.

It's always something.

Went to put on the new to me (free) bias ply tires on my trailer to limp it back to the cabin. Guess what? Rims were right pattern but small center hole. No go.

Axle is bent so it's sitting right where it's at until I get the new one. Enough dicking around. I was planning on replacing it this fall at the cabin but I'll order it Friday and pick it up next Friday.
What's up guys.
Wow svk, it's always something:(.
It was just one of those nights.

Put the new coil in my super mini. Of course the new coil connecting blade was too big for the current clip so I need a different one and didn't have one at home.

View attachment 516175

svk pull that thing back out and grind the blade down a little on each side and throw it back on there.
When you have it out again, blow that beast out, you'll lose about 1/2 lbs of weight on that old girl:).

Latest posts

Back