Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 029/390 conversion is running well, idles, runs clean, and tachs right up. Weather permitting I hope to put it in some real wood tomorrow. Compression is just modest, so I'm not expecting an animal, but it was cheap ($25 for the saw and $60 for all the parts). I also converted it with a clutch drum, bearing & 7 pin rim I had left over from a 460.

The Walbro carb (which will fit 044/440 & 046/460) was worth the $25!

FYI, I think 029 is smaller than a 290.

Re: Cleaning ... I don't claim to get it perfect, but usually take the thick gunk off with a screw driver, the often fill a bucket with hot water & soap with a brush, or use WD-40, depending.

Also did a bike ride in over 90 degree weather today, can't count how many glasses of fluid I have consumed this evening! Did not ride aggressively, but still clocked 44.4 MPH on the downhill! All rides are net net flat in the end, so if you go downhill, you went uphill!

cute chipster!, u never tell me u r going, then act like I took a detour over to amberg's..... gzzz... whatza guy! I brot mine too, as a logger's prime mover... thot we might get in a drag race or two...best 2 out of 3... don't sweat the nitrous button and bottle chipster, they are empty... ! :laughing:

:givebeer:

"two xMarks coming to the line now... one is staged, now the other... now both... R lane, one from N L lane, one from S.... one inches... lites set, one is deep..."

"both are staged... tree is dropping... its GREEN and they are off..., 2 good launches!! "

"L lane from the S flies down the quarter... one hand on the steering bars, the other in the air... :rock:"

"R lane looks to be stuck in taffy, although engine roaring... S has literally flown by him... and R lane has look on face as to say:

:wtf:...."

L lane stops the clocks at 11.67.... et and is :numberone: WINNER!!

all the AS guys who came to watch are applauding the winner from the S! L lane takes the win this round... best 2 out of 3, and L lane has 2 wins!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

next round and we have pulling up into the bleach box a custom built .....
That's funny BL is :numberone:.
Did some one say "tree is dropping", and all the AS guys grab their fastest scrounging gear:chainsaw::chop:, and their done it's a new record.
:cheers:& 3" BL Texas steaks for everyone :sweet::lol:.

The 029/390 conversion is running well, idles, runs clean, and tachs right up. Weather permitting I hope to put it in some real wood tomorrow. Compression is just modest, so I'm not expecting an animal, but it was cheap ($25 for the saw and $60 for all the parts). I also converted it with a clutch drum, bearing & 7 pin rim I had left over from a 460.

The Walbro carb (which will fit 044/440 & 046/460) was worth the $25!

FYI, I think 029 is smaller than a 290.

Re: Cleaning ... I don't claim to get it perfect, but usually take the thick gunk off with a screw driver, the often fill a bucket with hot water & soap with a brush, or use WD-40, depending.

Also did a bike ride in over 90 degree weather today, can't count how many glasses of fluid I have consumed this evening! Did not ride aggressively, but still clocked 44.4 MPH on the downhill! All rides are net net flat in the end, so if you go downhill, you went uphill!
That's good to hear Mike.
Sounds like a fun project for sure.
The 029 is a tad smaller than the 290 for sure, maybe @SawTroll will make a surprise visit to tell un some of those details:).
Good morning ST :hi:.
We used to check our speeds downhill skiing with GPS, that was pretty fun, but I must say I was never going that fast :surprised3:.

The OE gets to compete in the 45cc and under class. In the stock class nothing else stands a chance.
Well, I'm still alive, I'm still learning.
That's one of the things I love so much about this site, there is always so much opportunity to learn:yes:.
Now I know:).

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:
Nice load!;)
Thanks for the help Nate LOL.
The guy on the skid threw them on there no problem, gotta love those type of scrounges:dancing:.
It cost me a bottle of gatorade and a couple gallons of fuel in the Suburban, as I was going to that side of town to do a mowing job.
Next time I'll get a picture for you:picture:. The whole thing is I'm helping him to get these logs out of there so it needs to happen as quick as possible. He almost always wants talk after loading, but wants the work done first so I follow suite, as that's how it should be anyway.

No sir to many broken bones for me. All I do is work rodeo stock My grandson rides youth bull riding he has made it to the youth bull riding world finals 5 times now. First time at age 6
So you did ride a bit then.
I talk a whole lot of bull lol.
I've ridden all sorts of dirt bikes, road bikes(crotch rockets), equipment, and all that and get the broken bones for sure.
That's crazy, ridding that young, but then again it's just what you are raised around I guess.
Do you happen to have any pictures, or are there any videos of him riding, I would love to show my son who is 8.

That's funny BL is :numberone:.Did some one say "tree is dropping", and all the AS guys grab their fastest scrounging gear:chainsaw::chop:, and their done it's a new record.:cheers:& 3" BL Texas steaks for everyone :sweet::lol:.

yes! :D the 3" Texas Monster NY Strip EXTREME! served on platters... not dinner plates!!! :yes:

TXMonsterExtreme.jpg

done to perfection. Medium Rare @ 124-126F internal...

Too bad I'm not a lot closer to you CB.
Welcome to AS :).
You have also found one of the best threads on the internet, enjoy :hi:.
Same here. Seems every time I cut hay I find where more mature trees have fallen. Been watching site for a while & didn't take much to pull me in

had this unwelcomed scrounge drop into my front yard this morning... THUD! as a nasty storm rolled in and thru... wasn't too excited about having to cut it up and clean up etc. wasn't really on my agenda today... from about 40' up... twisted 180 from trunk to ground as the wind sent it sailing...nearly took out my yard lights. that would have super PO'd me... grr! in 2 pcs and quite heavy! a scroungy widow maker right in my front yard.

P1010001.JPG P1010003.JPG P1010004.JPG

but as luck would have it, it was tree trash pick up day... and 20 mins after I started to fuss with limb, think about cutting it up, etc. city's crews showed up. I went and asked them if I hauled to curb would they take it... the driver of one big trucks looked down at me from his driver's seat and went: :yes:

P1010008.JPG

That's good to hear Mike.
Sounds like a fun project for sure.
The 029 is a tad smaller than the 290 for sure, maybe @SawTroll will make a surprise visit to tell un some of those details:).
Good morning ST :hi:.
We used to check our speeds downhill skiing with GPS, that was pretty fun, but I must say I was never going that fast :surprised3:.

Good morning! :hi:

The 029 is 54.1cc, the 029 Super and MS290 are 56.5cc.

Thanks Niko, I was searching all over for the size of the base 029, but could not find it (other than the piston size of 45 mm).

So basically, I got an 18.5% increase in displacement, not bad! (Piston increase from 45 mm to 49 mm).

Makes sense, approximately 2.5 cc for each mm increase of the piston.

029 - 45 mm - 54.1 cc
290 (& Super) - 46 mm - 56.5 cc
310 - 47 mm - 59 cc
390 - 49 mm - 64.1 cc

If the T-Storms clear, I will try to do some real cutting with it today.

Thanks Niko, I was searching all over for the size of the base 029, but could not find it (other than the piston size of 45 mm).

So basically, I got an 18.5% increase in displacement, not bad! (Piston increase from 45 mm to 49 mm).

Makes sense, approximately 2.5 cc for each mm increase of the piston.

029 - 45 mm - 54.1 cc
290 (& Super) - 46 mm - 56.5 cc
310 - 47 mm - 59 cc
390 - 49 mm - 64.1 cc

If the T-Storms clear, I will try to do some real cutting with it today.
Know that I know most of the saws from Googling them hundreds of times and reading post from @SawTroll I just look on the saw after I buy them now lol. I know the basics, but find the exact info very easy to find so I don't waste valuable space in my head as there is only so much storage space left :laugh:. I can post some links you can save later, as I'm on my phone now, if you would like. One tip is to skip the AS search as it sucks and just google search what info you want and put "forum" behind it.
So I would search "ms290 vs 029 forum" or "stihl 029 super specs" in the google search. You may find it here, but I always have another tab or widow open as I'm always multi tasking when on here.
Here's an ms290 I sold this month.20160516_141204.jpg And here is a nice example of the 029 from a while ago. I just missed a very clean one for 150:(. Oh well, can't get them all. The good thing is I was able to grab up it's nemesis the 346 oe that I had pictures of a few post ago. IMAG1535.jpg

Thanks for the help Nate LOL.
The guy on the skid threw them on there no problem, gotta love those type of scrounges:dancing:.
It cost me a bottle of gatorade and a couple gallons of fuel in the Suburban, as I was going to that side of town to do a mowing job.
Next time I'll get a picture for you:picture:. The whole thing is I'm helping him to get these logs out of there so it needs to happen as quick as possible. He almost always wants talk after loading, but wants the work done first so I follow suite, as that's how it should be anyway.
Actually I didn't mean to put :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures: in there but that works ;) lol. Nice scrounge btw, sounds like you been busy.

Latest posts

Back