Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. . .awesome pictures!!!!!! That is a lot of work. Holy cow. Did you use a filter or some sort of color tweaking? They are just stunning with the contrasts.
Copied those photos from other folks in our group - some of them had real cameras with real lenses. Looks like the first 2 were taken that way. My photos are snapshots taken with an iPhone, and look more like the last 2 (also taken by others).

Philbert

We got 2" of rain from 0130 until maybe 4.

No real wind but the driveway and my tomatoes too a beating from the rain. Driveway needs a lot of love from the wash outs and my tomatoes got a healthy pruning due to a lot of breakage.

I spoke with one of my physicists today that lives in Duluth and he said that he has 150-200 trees that are down on his property. :eek:

@Philbert awesome pictures!!!!!! That is a lot of work. Holy cow.

Did you use a filter or some sort of color tweaking? They are just stunning with the contrasts.
Sounds like the Saginaw/Twig area got hit hard and the rest of the area was unscathed.

Nate, the wood I encounter is much different, almost always cutting Hard Woods, but still can't go wrong with a MS440 and an X-27!!!

Finished delivering a cord of wood this morning, then milled some 4" thick Hickory boards in the afternoon.

IMO, the square file chain is providing a remarkably smooth surface.

Attachments

• IMG_20160805_101500488 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20160805_101500488 (Large).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20160805_164638735_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160805_164638735_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20160805_164704373_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160805_164704373_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 38
Nate, the wood I encounter is much different, almost always cutting Hard Woods, but still can't go wrong with a MS440 and an X-27!!!

Finished delivering a cord of wood this morning, then milled some 4" thick Hickory boards in the afternoon.

Ya I would think they would work good in hard wood too! Have you tried the max flow air filters? Thinking about getting one. When I got the 440 it didn't have any muffler screens and... well a "free flowing" (defective) air filter , amazing how well it ran that way!
Nice looking boards! Looks like there heavy. Sure is rewarding making boards. CSM is time consuming but worth it.
Used to square file when I was logging amazing how much better (and smoother) it cuts. Had a silvey razor sharp II grinder, sure miss it.

Happy birthday Mike. :happybanana: have a good one buddy. :cheers:

Thanks everyone, the wife sent me a copy of that Beatles song this morning, of course with sub text in Spanish!

On the MS 440 I like an HD-2 filter (fits under the cover) and a dp muff cover (don't need the screens here with all the hardwoods). I also like to advance the timing (20/1000) and delete the base gasket. They will easily out run a 460 with those mods, and fully fueled weight about a pound less. They are one of the best all around saws out there. I run either a 20" E bar (lighter than an ES) or a 28" ES light bar (expensive, but great).

I had file the square, seems to be working well.

Thanks everyone, the wife sent me a copy of that Beatles song this morning, of course with sub text in Spanish!

On the MS 440 I like an HD-2 filter (fits under the cover) and a dp muff cover (don't need the screens here with all the hardwoods). I also like to advance the timing (20/1000) and delete the base gasket. They will easily out run a 460 with those mods, and fully fueled weight about a pound less. They are one of the best all around saws out there. I run either a 20" E bar (lighter than an ES) or a 28" ES light bar (expensive, but great).

I had file the square, seems to be working well.
Happy birthday young man!

It just dawned on me I was not clear here, them darn Beatles did too many songs! She did not forward "You know it's your Birthday", but she forwarded "When I'm 64".

At least "she still feeds me". After selling some firewood, cutting some Oak, Hickory & Hard Maple, and splitting some wood, I came home to a grilled Munster Cheese with garden tomatoes on toasted multi grain bread, GREAT!

Now off to see my daughter, then dinner with my brother.

Bye!

My rear grapple is really working nice. Saves a lot of jumping on and off. Don't have to use a chain at all now. I'm clearing a couple of house lots in my spare time. Cedar and birch mainly. I bought an Alaskan to mill some of the bigger clear cedar, the rest is being cut into posts. Using my 260 for cutting down and trimming, I think it's time to buy a brand new one. I have a couple of 380 but they seen a lot heavier.
IMG_20160805_103739.jpg IMG_20160806_091031.jpg IMG_20160806_131725.jpg

Some of it is solid right thru others are rotten most of the way up. The lots are high and dry stony ground so I think that helps them stay solid. I wish they were all straight though, most are really curved. There are several that are more than 25" across, they split into 2 or 3 stems up about 30'. Tons of small ones too that will make good fence posts. Telling my wife that I'm going to sell the posts to pay for a new saw. Also told her that the only "new" saw I ever bought was the little 170. The other 20 were used ones. She's already forgotten about the money I spent to build the grapple.
And I forgot I did have to use one chain, I broke the quick link on one side of my 3 pth arms. I had to back up to miss a stump and the far end of the log hooked onto another stump, little bit of side pressure and the quick link broke. Just another good reason why I put the lighter quick links on it. And yup that's black tape holding the chain together so I could finish the day out. Git-r-dun.
IMG_20160805_094144.jpg

Wow crazy storms, hope everyone is staying safe.
Was able to go back and get some more of the big red fir, 3rd load from one tree. View attachment 517836Sure glad it's down hill to the road.View attachment 517837Sure like the new 440. View attachment 517838Still more for next time, still standing too.View attachment 517839

impressive truck load!... not so much all the wood, but the size of the chunks!!! wow. and I like that u left all the nesting materials for the chipmunks, too... ;)

Don't scrounge too much since I have 11 acres (mostly soft tho) but when hydro came clearing out their lines, well I had to try to liberate some of the logs. Some beech, birch but mainly pine. This small pile (compared to other lucky sods here) was about a quarter of what I got one weekend before I had to head home (stashed some in bush, too tired to move to cabin). Come back two weeks later and they took a huge shredder to the rest of the wood. I almost cried but they did leave behind a small tangled mess of logs I'll try and tackle at some point, but again mostly soft so destined for the pit. So basically an excuse to run the saw and let chips and noodles fly.

Attachments

• earlyscrounge.jpg
    earlyscrounge.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Back