Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mountain, good to see you posting again.

I love animals, and my wife and I have volunteered numerous hours at the local Humane Society over the past several years walking dogs etc, and we currently have 2 rescue pit mixes that also get a lot of our time.

However, it is generally not a good idea to adopt any wild animal, and is often illegal. Except in very rare circumstances, I would not recommend it.

image.jpeg Took advantage of the cooler temps and got some wood stacked. 8 facecord for now and I have 2 more racks that are currently full of my selling wood. I have tin between the deck joists sloping away from the house to keep rain off. Works pretty good. I've never burned more than 8 even in the polar vortex years. So pressure is off, I can finish splitting and stacking.....or not. Lots of free wood around, I just don't need any, if I don't sell, I can sit it out for 3 years or more. I might have to noodle some rounds because I miss running the saw!

Mountain, good to see you posting again.

I love animals, and my wife and I have volunteered numerous hours at the local Humane Society over the past several years walking dogs etc, and we currently have 2 rescue pit mixes that also get a lot of our time.

However, it is generally not a good idea to adopt any wild animal, and is often illegal. Except in very rare circumstances, I would not recommend it.

Thanks Mike ... always good to see the goings on in everyone's wood piles and scrounging efforts. Makes the day to day journey all that much more rewarding.

I agree with you about not adopting a wild animal as a wise general policy, but Zeus certainly did the best he could for that little stranded critter that didn't stand a chance without his intervention, and you've gotta love that :)

I'll still be a sparse poster here as duty continues to call. Have a great weekend all!

I managed to get this load after dropping the tractor off at a job. Then I went back and spread 30 yrs of sand, then went home and cut it all into rounds for next years pile. Since the day was still young and I had lots of energy left :laugh:, I went to our church building and did some cleanup. Our old landlord sold the building at the beginning of summer and we just got it back so it was a bit overgrown.
Hoping to get a bit more next week after the holiday.View attachment 523122View attachment 523123View attachment 523125View attachment 523127View attachment 523128
Glad to see all is well. I have two scrounges that I have to collect on one a tree that's getting taken down for a co worker and the other is a family friend that has a pile that he wants gone. I'll get some pictures as I get it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

img_20160901_160917639_hdr-large-jpg.523118

Look at all that Zogger wood !!!

Glad to see all is well. I have two scrounges that I have to collect on one a tree that's getting taken down for a co worker and the other is a family friend that has a pile that he wants gone. I'll get some pictures as I get it.

Thanks buddy.
Sounds like you have a lot going on also. This time of the yr get crazy with my wife going back to work and everyone calling with projects they can't complete and they need my help. I always say if your good with your hands and people find out your not working you'll be busier than you can handle, and here I am again refusing work, and even scrounge wood.
I will probably get at least one load this week if not more, but I have to be careful with my schedule :yes:.

I was thinking zogger wood, and zogger siding :).

I think it would be a little heavy for siding (2" thick Red Oak). My friend (who is a carpenter) says that cut that thick it is even too heavy to be used for flooring!

I stacked most (but not all) of my 2" boards (Shag Bark Hickory, Pig Nut (Smooth Bark) Hickory, and Red Oak. Was moving it by myself, and that slab side of Red Oak (top left) almost made me drop a nut! Still need to seal the ends.

Attachments

• IMG_20160903_170248283 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20160903_170248283 (Large).jpg
    986.8 KB · Views: 20
Thanks buddy.
Sounds like you have a lot going on also. This time of the yr get crazy with my wife going back to work and everyone calling with projects they can't complete and they need my help. I always say if your good with your hands and people find out your not working you'll be busier than you can handle, and here I am again refusing work, and even scrounge wood.
I will probably get at least one load this week if not more, but I have to be careful with my schedule :yes:.
This time of the year gets quite busy have 40 hour job and work with my dad at his business which he is semi retired and leaves to Texas for 3 and a half months during the winter so I do his work when he is gone. Also do small engine repair in the evenings. And try and grab the scrounge lol.

Took the CAD Crapsman down to the woodpile and was rather nonplussed with its performance even after a chain touch up. So I immediately did a muffler mod. First pic is the baffles before. image.jpeg And after. image.jpeg The tiny slits are easy to open up and dent in. Put a little bend in the deflector as well and presto! Saw idles way better and starts easier. Tiny tweak on the high jet to make it clean up in the cut. I sank it into a piece of hard maple that my splitter wouldn't touch and it cut not bad. I don't intend to cut anything over 6" with this saw so it should be adequate for its intended purpose. Anti vibe is nice on it as well. image.jpeg

View attachment 523472 View attachment 523473 I am now a card carrying member of the creamsicle gang. Came up on the interweb and I picked it up for 200 (I sold an 032 for more than that) of my Canadian dollars. Starts first pull. Compression looks good, can't wait to put it in some wood. CAD is in full effect!
My good buddy Chris lebrun up that way had a couple of those said they are real good saws along with the 038.

Back