Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i took 4 or 5 days to read in this thread and WOW haha lots of info, i have been in the bush cutting up some tops left behind by the loggers, and seen some of you guys using what looks like a Stihl Can't Hook, or a Peavey Hook, but only made by Fiskar and i don't see anything like that on their website, is there anywhere online i can find them or? I am located in Canada too if that helps, with our dollar the way it is, and shipping it's hard to buy things out of the states

. . . is there anywhere online i can find them or? I am located in Canada too if that helps, . . . it's hard to buy things out of the states
https://www.treestuff.com/store/products.asp?category_id=295

WHAT KIND OF SERVICE DO YOU OFFER TO CANADA?
We are proud to offer timely service to our Canadian customers. We ship to Canada primarily through UPS and also the US Postal System.
UPS allows us to charge all import fees to you ahead of time..... so there are no hidden charges, customs, or surprise brokerage fees.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20118&cat=1,41131
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=70758&cat=1,41131

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/search.asp?stext=peavy
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/search.asp?stext=cant hook

Philbert

Well i took 4 or 5 days to read in this thread and WOW haha lots of info, i have been in the bush cutting up some tops left behind by the loggers, and seen some of you guys using what looks like a Stihl Can't Hook, or a Peavey Hook, but only made by Fiskar and i don't see anything like that on their website, is there anywhere online i can find them or? I am located in Canada too if that helps, with our dollar the way it is, and shipping it's hard to buy things out of the states

Welcome aboard but you know the rule , we need pics or it didn't happen LOL
If you have a good stihl dealer go see them , they have access to stuff that is not on the website , if you search for the member Hamish , I believe he is a Husky dealer in Ontario so another source for tools .

Around here I think the Stihl cant hooks are made by Logrite. This is the one I have but in Stihl colors. Good tool.
http://www.logrite.com/store/Item/60inch-Cant-Hook

WP_20160921_001.jpg WP_20160921_002.jpg WP_20160921_003.jpg
WP_20160921_003_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Here is some of the tops i have already cut up, i think i have 4 dump trailer loads now, running a 5x10 with a single axle, she does the trick, it's nice because it follows the same path as my truck but would be nice to get a 7x14, or 16.

Welcome aboard but you know the rule , we need pics or it didn't happen LOL
If you have a good stihl dealer go see them , they have access to stuff that is not on the website , if you search for the member Hamish , I believe he is a Husky dealer in Ontario so another source for tools .

Yeah i just started to deal with the new Stihl guy here in my area, we had an Amish guy before but he had to sell and relocate, that was a really sad day because the deals left when he did, and i spent a small fortune in his place, so starting fresh with a new guy is a bit hard.

I've got it pretty good with my dealer , they are a Stihl dealer and one of their other stores has the Husky line so they'll stock transfer Husky related stuff from that store for me .
It works out pretty good , I have the shop vehicles plus some of the employee vehicles for service at my shop , I treat them as fair as I can and they treat me as fair as they can , we all have to make a living .
They have a couple of real good counter staff people , They know that none of my gear is bought to look at and I burn a lot of fuel through them given the opportunity , they'll ask me the what's and why's when I get something they've never had or sold and actually listen , they're interested in the feedback I give them and have even had me explain what a FS560 will do to a potential buyer of an FS series trimmer (they bought one LOL) .
Hopefully your new dealer is cut of the same cloth .

Yeah the new guy is starting a little slow in the customer relations aspect at least the way i see it from dealing with him. But then again i had it too good with the other guy. but he did buy the business off him and is now trying to make a living so i see why things are. i have priced parts from a couple of Stihl dealers he is right on MSRP for parts where other dealers are a bit cheaper, but the next dealer is like 30 mins away so do you save 10 bucks, or spend 15 in gas?

Yeah there is a lot of good info in here, and some people have lots of good ideas, i stumbled upon this form from a google search looking to build my own wood splitter, and i found Alex's design A.E Metal Werx of woodsplitters, now just to start saving some pennies and hopefully maybe make a purchase in the spring, just using my fiskar right now would be nice to add that to the arsenal

All dealers are definitely not created equal. I called my local Stihl dealer for a price on a 241 (I'm mulling the thought of reducing the fleet by a couple of saws and repositioning to another pro saw or two).

After an extended time, their response: "Yah we can't find the 241. It's not on the list. Maybe you meant the 251? We have those in stock."
:dumb::dumb::dumb:

I think Brad Snelling can get a fair price on them from his dealer , about 700 in Canadian pesos up here but you'd get a 30% discount because of the exchange .
I run a 14" on it but I was told that the 3/8th spur from a 017 will work good on the 16"
It's a saw that keeps you on top of your sharpening skills and light handed but
I can run with it all day and not have my knuckles dragging on the ground .
I've got plenty of real good saws but it's my go to saw :)

I think Brad Snelling can get a fair price on them from his dealer , about 700 in Canadian pesos up here but you'd get a 30% discount because of the exchange .
I run a 14" on it but I was told that the 3/8th spur from a 017 will work good on the 16"
It's a saw that keeps you on top of your sharpening skills and light handed but
I can run with it all day and not have my knuckles dragging on the ground .
I've got plenty of real good saws but it's my go to saw :)
I know Brad really likes that model.

I know it's quite close in performance and weight to my 550 but it would be cool to have. Also mulling something like a clean 262 or maybe a W or G model Husky just to do something different.

All dealers are definitely not created equal. I called my local Stihl dealer for a price on a 241 (I'm mulling the thought of reducing the fleet by a couple of saws and repositioning to another pro saw or two).

After an extended time, their response: "Yah we can't find the 241. It's not on the list. Maybe you meant the 251? We have those in stock."
:dumb::dumb::dumb:
sliding by my dealer tomorrow. i keep looking at the 241. i'm thinking $549 but not sure. yes i NEED another saw.:laughing:

Make sure that the C-M is on the Stihls .
My Jred is a 2171wh and I have a 026 Arctic , those 2 really shine when the temps are around the +/- freezing and all your gloves are wet :)

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC
I never find myself with wet cold hands as I bring lots of gloves with when I cut and normally I cut in one cord increments as that's what the truck and trailer hold. But it still would be nice to have a G model just in case.

Latest posts

Back