Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh God.....

That only means purses will be swinging soon.....
This place sure has calmed down though. Still a little saw banter from the fanboys exaggerated claims and those calling BS on them over in chainsaw but remember the "ax wars" that happened not long ago in here? Anytime someone would mention X27 the flame retardant suits would come out LOL.

This place sure has calmed down though. Still a little saw banter from the fanboys exaggerated claims and those calling BS on them over in chainsaw but remember the "ax wars" that happened not long ago in here? Anytime someone would mention X27 the flame retardant suits would come out LOL.
Hmmmmm......Maybe I could blow a little compressed air on those coals. :blob2:

The X27 has been through utter hell the last couple weeks and still wanting more.

Hmmmmm......Maybe I could blow a little compressed air on those coals. :blob2:

The X27 has been through utter hell the last couple weeks and still wanting more.
Remember when CTYank told you that you were using the Council Tools Maul wrong and should eat your wheaties and try again? That was one of the best.

Took dogs for a walk after work and ventured into another section of the woods. Holy cow.

I'd have a weeks straight worth of scrounging.

Sugar maples down. I'd have to clear a way in for the rig.

Big one broke off.

The frontside of the standing.

It's interesting that a lot of the downed trees have blowouts like this.

There is some treacherous looking stuff that I won't mess with.

Another one with a blown out bottom. I think this is from the sap freezing. Just my theory.

Another sugar maple top.

A big popple down with an interesting break at the base.

Covered in toad stools so pretty good chance it's rotted

Panoramic of the sugar maples coming up on the forest floor.

Downed sugar maple top on the trail that happened within the last 2 days.

It goes "tink" when you hit it.

And Clint mad at me because I'm not shooting the squirrel

Do you still swing the fiskars for some of this or do you only use the hydro?

Sure I still use it, but the hydro does most of the work. The X27 pounds wedges, and was used to split what finished off the back of the trailer load, as the hydro as at the other location. And when the hydro is in vertical mode, the X27 finishes off a lot of stringy stuff! I still split all the Ash & Cherry up at my hunting cabin by hand. Likely a couple of cord/year. Does not matter if I'm cutting or splitting, the X27 usually comes with me.

I split up that 1+1/2 cord of Red Oak today, and added it to the other 2 cords of Red Oak at the Brewster location (from the big 40" log) (pics 1+2).

Already delivered 6 cord from this pile (on the ground) so far this year, and have about 3 cord left in it (pic 3).

Also have a few additional cords of this mix of Oak, Hard Maple, Hickory, and Black Birch up above on the skids (pic 4).

And I also busted up some rocks that were sticking up in the yard with the 16lb sledge. I've been busy!

Attachments

• IMG_20161014_153024416 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20161014_153024416 (Large).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20161014_153034008 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20161014_153034008 (Large).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20161014_153056046 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20161014_153056046 (Large).jpg
    915.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20161014_153106578 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20161014_153106578 (Large).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
If OCD is a sliding scale then this thread proves I'm in remission. Thanks all.

That's awesome!!!!

Did he hang around the whole time and watch?

I've heard a lot of stories of a saw not bothering deer and they will actually
Show up to see what's going on.

My Dolmar dealer talks about them browsing on popple tops of trees he's dumped while he's bucking them.

ETA- my bad. Quoted wrong post. Meant for haywire.

That's awesome!!!!

Did he hang around the whole time and watch?

I've heard a lot of stories of a saw not bothering deer and they will actually
Show up to see what's going on.

My Dolmar dealer talks about them browsing on popple tops of trees he's dumped while he's bucking them.

ETA- my bad. Quoted wrong post. Meant for haywire.

They pay no mind to the sound of the saw. I was fallin' some green Doug fir yesterday and these darn critters were munchin' on the tree within 10 seconds of it hitting the ground! Makes slash cleanup a bit easier! haha

I can easily get a big horn sheep and mule deer tag since I am the only allowed to be in a 30 to 50 square mile area. Most wildlife hang out in or near my camp. Probable because they are bored and curious. The Mt lion that was hanging out got taken out by fish and game because they said he was too aggressive. He would wander near Ontario in the foot hills and look for easy meals, since I am kinda a health freak he wanted lots of left over bacon and cooked carrots did not appeal to him. I do feel partly responsible. However what will it be like when in the past 50 or so deer tags were filled. The deer come out about midnight and just stomp around. My dog does not even growl during the night, but by 5 AM he is ready for a big hunt. At a whooping 20 LBS the deer are plenty safe. They are still nice to watch, as far as the big horn sheep they are so much more interesting to watch. Thanks

I loooooove the 16lb sledge.

I use it for my beating on old tires.

Yea, a 16 lb hammer seems to get it done for me just fine. My brother uses a 20 lb, but he also used to do push ups on his thumbs and pull ups by pinching the rafters, so I won't go there! The 12 lb ones just seem a little too light at times.

Back