Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Ben , that spruce looks familiar .... LOL
I scrounged up a new saw this week , the husband bought it for his wife so she could do some chainsaw carving , 2 years later she decides that she doesn't have enough time to do it .

20161019_190625.jpg

Works great , plenty of power , cuts up scrounged up wood nice and quiet :)

That's pretty neat Dan!!!!!

Let me guess...Canadian only deal?

Like Black Crown Tall Boys, Tim Horton's, plastic Copenhagen cans, and Letter Kenny?

For the last few weeks (when it hasn't been raining, which it has been for most of the last 5 months) I've been out scrounging along a ridge at the lady farmer's farm. The northern facing side is clear for grazing and a fairly mild slope while the southern side of the ridge is steep and treed. The top of the ridge has plenty of living and dead trees as well as plenty of blackberry bushes as well, unfortunately. With so much rain though, a whole lot of springs have opened up which made the going a bit hard getting up there let alone sliding down with a trailer behind. So, cutting and piling up for later collection has been the order for the last little while.

My first trip up there was a bit of a reconnaissance mission. With a saw, naturally. There's an absolute crapload of wood along there, it's a pity I have a job and stuff or I'd be there every day (that it doesn't rain, that is).

In the foreground there's some dead fallen peppermint, very nice. In the middle distance there's a branch that fell off a blue gum, also nice and dry.

Ridge2 7th Sep 16.jpg

Here's that blue gum branch from another angle. There's a nice dead standing peppermint in the middle of the picture but he has a fair lean away from my vantage point here and if dropped will land square amongst a million blackberries. Pity about that, but I'll pass.

Ridge 7th Sep 16.jpg

Now that blue gum branch has fallen off a decent sized tree. Blue gums grow very tall, up to nearly 300ft but this one didn't have much competition so he just got big and fat. That is my 460 with 20 inch bar at the base for comparison.

Ridge3 7th Sep 16.jpg

Do you think I might need a longer bar?

I think the Stihl Dealers here have the 250 on sale for $250 right now.

My new moisture meter is saying the wood I'm selling is in the teens in wetness (20% or less is deemed good). It is mostly from 12-18%. Also, some Red Oak that was cut last year but just recently split (those 40" rounds) are testing under 20% also, I'm pleasantly surprised, I can move them this year if the demand is there.

Seems that if the tree does not have this years sap in it, they dry fast after they are split.

Thanks on finding prices , since base prices are traded in US dollars at the wholesale level and we're at a 30% disadvantage on exchange I guess it's close , I think the Aussies get hit the hardest for some reason .
Hey txtroop , what model Dolly ?
Cowboy , great scrounging arrangement , looks like two win on that deal .

Thanks on finding prices , since base prices are traded in US dollars at the wholesale level and we're at a 30% disadvantage on exchange I guess it's close , I think the Aussies get hit the hardest for some reason .

It's a 112. Going to be a nice project for me and my boys to tinker around with.

Had an unexpected target of opportunity this past week. Bossman had one of his guys start clearing an old overgrown fenceline down the county road. I think it was there since the 70s, before he made this area an airport. Most of it was small scrub and weeds, but a few decent trees, two big maples, some smaller ones, a few baby willow oaks and some wild plum. Bummer was, get it while you can, literally trying to cut and get off to the side while the huge loader and excavator were working. It sucked, dangerous, but managed to squirrel out two cords. Proly ten worth of zogger wood in the burn pile now, but buried in dirt etc, so, heck with it. Largest diameter, 2 foot evenIMG_20161018_185938.jpg IMG_20161018_185923.jpg IMG_20161013_150702.jpg IMG_20161016_170304.jpg

Do you think I might need a longer bar?
Nope. Cut some springboards, start a few feet up and cut yourself a bunch of windows on the way down until it's faced then rinse and repeat for the back cut. If you survive that and can post pictures, you'll be AS LEGEND status.
Good luck :)

Nope. Cut some springboards, start a few feet up and cut yourself a bunch of windows on the way down until it's faced then rinse and repeat for the back cut. If you survive that and can post pictures, you'll be AS LEGEND status.
Good luck :)

Sounds pretty easy, I think I'll go and do that now. Keep an eye out for my obituary. :laughing:

The kids had today and tomorrow off of school so we hit the trails this morning. Did the circle and I got over half of the brush pitched off the third trail. Picked up one grouse this evening.

Sadly the foresters were up yesterday and flagged off another chunk of public land for timber sale. I've hinted that land since I was young and it's sad to see it go. It appears some of the nice norways on one side of it will be spared anyhow.

Hey Dan, The MSE170 is $379 with 14 inch bar and chain here and the AUD is comparable to Canadian. I think after a while of getting royally shafted on everything you get used to it so I dunno if that's expensive or not.

KiwiBro, you blokes are copping a hiding, what gives? You can buy VB cheaper that we can yet it's made just down the road but you pay horrendous prices for a little saw. I don't get it.

Back