Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the same point when they close a southern city because of an inch of snow is ridiculous. Anyone can drive in that provided they go slow.
No they cant, just sit on the side of the road somewhere and watch.. Big intersection or next to a bridge is a good place to watch.

Made a trip to tenn this morning ang got stuck behind their snow plow.
View attachment 549056
i scrounged this wood off of craigslist so i could make a path to the woodpile. sux gettin old.
ed5356e547b1be15a168a1587a73ded2.jpg

No they cant, just sit on the side of the road somewhere and watch.. Big intersection or next to a bridge is a good place to watch.

8a88b40f491a2d431d5fc13b4b3b68bc.jpg

My trip home last night , 4"down at rush hour , all them cars squish the goodness out of the snow then gridlock happens , took me an hour to travel 1 mile through the core of the city , took me 40 minutes to travel 24 miles at my own pace once away from the yahoos .
BTW , I have a US truck so that's 0 in mph , didn't want anyone confused about driving 0 in kph up here .
I was about a half mile from the bridge .

Southern roads will often get their version of black ice after an extended dry period then rain or snow drives the contaminants to the surface.

At the same point when they close a southern city because of an inch of snow is ridiculous. Anyone can drive in that provided they go slow.
My parents moved from Wisconsin to southern Indiana back in the 60's. If they got 2 inches of snow, the town would shut down and no one would be on the road. My parents would go for a drive and enjoy the beautiful winter wonderland while everyone else would be huddled at their homes.

My parents moved from Wisconsin to southern Indiana back in the 60's. If they got 2 inches of snow, the town would shut down and no one would be on the road. My parents would go for a drive and enjoy the beautiful winter wonderland while everyone else would be huddled at their homes.
we got about 3 or 4 inches. I havent even been outside, heck I havent even put my shoes on today. I have been cleaning up and repainting my basement, which is where the wood stove is, just a pair of shorts and a paint brush.

8a88b40f491a2d431d5fc13b4b3b68bc.jpg

My trip home last night , 4"down at rush hour , all them cars squish the goodness out of the snow then gridlock happens , took me an hour to travel 1 mile through the core of the city , took me 40 minutes to travel 24 miles at my own pace once away from the yahoos .
BTW , I have a US truck so that's 0 in mph , didn't want anyone confused about driving 0 in kph up here .
I was about a half mile from the bridge .

Is your check engine and ABS light on Dan?

Nazi, I built a steel cab with plexi glass and safety glass for my Kubota. I left the back window out because I also have a manual crank blower. I buy the heavy clear plastic table cloth and use it for the rear window. I fasten it across the top and the sides but I leave a 6" fold near the bottom and cut it so I can get may hand out to turn the blower. Never even bothered putting the rear plastic in this year. This picture just shows the plastic, the next year I did the fold.
IMG-20120108-00505.jpg

You can go anywhere you want when you have 4x4. Jeep gran whatever. Was making great time going past a bush as soon as he got past the bush, instant white out. Went into the ditch and got air borne when he hit the farmers snow piled up at his driveway. No idea of injuries. It's storming out here again today, took me 1 hour for a 25 minutes drive. I don't mind being late, better than getting towed home.
IMG_20170105_105950.jpg

Didn't get to cutting any firewood today, decided it was just going to be a crappy day anyway. Got this half built. Going to use it for the trail to the bush, couple passes and it should be fine for the tractor and log trailer. It was a 4' wide Trackless blade that I bought for $10 about 10 years ago, about time I used it. I'm widening it to around 8'. Just have to finish the sides and put a couple of braces on. Tried it out and it even works decent the way it is. Had to make a complete new quick hitch plate because in my rush I left the factory built one at home, along with the keys to the shop at work. Made my wife bring me the keys, My shop at home is full, short box truck getting a body job and 2 darn sleds in there.
IMG_20170107_130519.jpg IMG_20170107_183324.jpg IMG_20170107_183751.jpg

We got a couple feet of snow since Wednesday but before that was warm and rainy so the ground isn't frozen. Lots of wet slushy spots under the snow despite it being -19c early this am. Had a neighbor call, his snowmobile found one of these spots and sank. Front end stayed up thankfully. Had to wade in over knee deep to get it and while we were there, along came another guy and sank. By the time I got home I was quite cold. Snow pants were frozen, zippers, bootlaces. Got everything in front of the woodstove including myself!

Latest posts

Back