Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just because of my lack of knowledge with maple syrup collection, and love it by the way...do y'all drill into trees per say, screw in some sort of tap, funnel, then set up collection buckets/pans for lack of better words? Then get the resin/sap from that point into other containers for the final 'cook down?'

No pic, and not sure if a scrounge, but.....tree service buddy dropped off a dump truck load of some nice straight ash 6-7 logs 16-18' long about 24" average diameter. No twigs, mess, no nothing.

Oh, and love the maple syrup pics. I know nothing about it, but sure could get use to havin a cold one and sitting by the fire "working" on some tasty syrup. I have heard takes a long time to boil down, never heard of doing it outside.

Just because of my lack of knowledge with maple syrup collection, and love it by the way...do y'all drill into trees per say, screw in some sort of tap, funnel, then set up collection buckets/pans for lack of better words? Then get the resin/sap from that point into other containers for the final 'cook down?'
Yes that's pretty much it.

unnamed (17).jpg

Here's an easy way to boil some at home, this is what we use to make a few batches. I believe it had 3 gallons in it when we started and it took about 7 hours to boil the water out of it. For three gallons of sap you only get approximately 10 ounces of syrup though. We boil most of it off outside then switch to a smaller pot and finish it off inside just because you really have to watch it close at the end plus putting it in a smaller pot raises the level of liquid and there is less chance of burning it. I am by no means a professional though this is just our method, we just do it for fun and to expose our son to some cool outdoor activities. Nothing in the super markets tastes as good as home made syrup either I think.

No pic, and not sure if a scrounge, but.....tree service buddy dropped off a dump truck load of some nice straight ash 6-7 logs 16-18' long about 24" average diameter. No twigs, mess, no nothing.

Oh, and love the maple syrup pics. I know nothing about it, but sure could get use to havin a cold one and sitting by the fire "working" on some tasty syrup. I have heard takes a long time to boil down, never heard of doing it outside.
Maple syrup is usually processed in what they call a 'sugar shack' dedicated for that one purpose. If it was done in the house, you would have a sticky film over the whole house after boiling off all of the water in the sap. Your better half would not be happy:(

Neat track stuff! Icefishing it would be perfect.

I love driving my truck and trailer to cut logs. Can't imagine how much more time and energy I would take to cut same amount of wood and hump it out, or even skid out.

Maple syrup is usually processed in what they call a 'sugar shack' dedicated for that one purpose. If it was done in the house, you would have a sticky film over the whole house after boiling off all of the water in the sap. Your better half would not be happy:(

I only talked to one older guy that did it in his basement, on an old 1950's propane stove, with window open right by it.

Vet stories... always interesting to sit and listen. My Grandfather flew a B24 and was shot down in Germany on 2nd (I believe) mission. My great grandfather emigrated from Germany and great Grandma was from Alsace-Lorraine so my grandfather was treated very badly. I had no idea until he was near the end of his life that he'd been forced to march hundreds of miles from camp to camp as a POW. I only knew to ask about his service because he'd go to the VA and get dang near anything he needed, and I knew the VA had a system of determining assistance based on experience in the service.

My friend's grandfather had dementia and ended up living with my friend's parents at the end of his life. He was Navy, on a sub in WWII. I went to visit the family one day and said "Hi" as he came out. Something tripped in him, and he started talking to me as if I was a buddy that he'd served with. After a while he must have realized where/when he was because the tone of his conversation changed, but he continued. The family dragged out a camera and recorded it after 20 minutes. He talked for over three hours. No one had heard the stories, ever. Pearl Harbor, Japan immediately after to destroy ships in a harbor, Midway... all mixed in with stories about his brother, a cousin that went in with him, and friends he served with. What an honor, even if it was just dumb luck, to get to sit and listen to what he wanted to talk about. He passed away a few months after that so it was pretty amazing that it happened at all.

Here's a photo of some scroungers on my property on Sunday. They hung around for about 10 minutes while I spoke to them and went about my business. Out of the picture on the lower left is a Rhododendron they want to get.
NCM_0408.JPG

here's today's scrounge. they are trimming trees across the road from my shop. only had 1 lane open so i took advantage of that and got the tractor and saw and went at it.

2015-03-2309.51.47.jpg this bucket is green stuff.maple .walnut and locust. got 3 like this.
2015-03-2312.33.54.jpg this bucket was all dead white oak. got 2 full ones like this.
also got 2 buckets of 6 foot stuff that i couldn't get sawed till they opened the lanes. all green oak. about 1 1/2 cords total in 7 buckets full.

here's today's scrounge. they are trimming trees across the road from my shop. only had 1 lane open so i took advantage of that and got the tractor and saw and went at it.

View attachment 414169 this bucket is green stuff.maple .walnut and locust. got 3 like this.
View attachment 414188 this bucket was all dead white oak. got 2 full ones like this.
also got 2 buckets of 6 foot stuff that i couldn't get sawed till the opened the lanes. all green oak. about 1 1/2 cords total in 7 buckets full.
Sweet! And they didn't even leave you with any ultra short pieces lol

Latest posts

Back