Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice load there, is that white oak?
It's not oak, but I'm not sure what it is to be honest. Guy I got it from called it a swamp cherry and the leaves could have fooled me into believing it was a cherry of some variety from a distance. The wood may be a little more red than it appears in the pictures. It's medium hardness for cutting and much heavier than the pine I've been getting from him. The base of the tree was rotted and was probably close to 30"diameter. When I go back I'll have to get some leaves and take a closer look - I was in a bit of a hurry on Monday night and it was getting towards dark, but I don't like to turn down free wood because I may not get the call the next time.

Yeah, I might not have posted that so soon with some guys but you sure have a good attitude about it. Not much else you can do about it now, so might as well have a few laughs.

To show I don't come here just for humor (or humour, eh!) at Dancan's expense I picked this up last night. At least 2 more loads like it waitin' on me this week.View attachment 450558
Bark looks like silver maple to me.

Well I picked up the 372xp tonight. Ran it for 10 minutes or so before I bought all was good. 140psi cold. Got home and it would not run for now then 3 seconds before dying. Was I hot, after I settled down I calmly checked things over. The end of the impulse cracked and was off. New impulse line and everything was ok. Hopefully tomorrow I can use it with the new chains I picked up on the way home.

Man sorry to hear. I had somehow missed this post the other day. Speedy recovery.
I missed it too, Sorry about the mishap, glad it wasn't worse.

Smashed the tip of my ring finger between a pallet jack handle and a cement filled steel post. Same result. The healing hurt worse than the injury. It was very sensitive to cold for many years after, still is more sensitive than the rest to some degree. Get some good warm gloves / mittens. Thawing out is always so painful ;)

Hello fellow scroungers had a nice redwood today approximately 60years old unfortunately was dieing had to come down I got all the big wood the homeowner got the twigs I managed to get abit of a load on my trailer and some on the hilux.
What is stacked on the pallets is one trailer load and a few pieces on the truck.
Had a 066 660 661 251 034 for the job today
My friend had his huskys

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hello fellow scroungers had a nice redwood today approximately 60years old unfortunately was dieing had to come down I got all the big wood the homeowner got the twigs I managed to get abit of a load on my trailer and some on the hilux.
What is stacked on the pallets is one trailer load and a few pieces on the truck.
My friend had his huskys

View attachment 450629 View attachment 450630 View attachment 450631 View attachment 450631 View attachment 450634 View attachment 450631 View attachment 450635 View attachment 450628
Man that is some gorgeous wood

Yeah, I might not have posted that so soon with some guys but you sure have a good attitude about it. Not much else you can do about it now, so might as well have a few laughs.

To show I don't come here just for humor (or humour, eh!) at Dancan's expense I picked this up last night. At least 2 more loads like it waitin' on me this week.View attachment 450558
I say silvdr maple also
Bark looks like silver maple to me.

My friend had his huskys

View attachment 450629 View attachment 450630 View attachment 450631 View attachment 450631 View attachment 450634 View attachment 450631 View attachment 450635 View attachment 450628
Beautiful stuff for sure. I don't know that I have ever seen redwood cut into firewood before.

Who are you addressing?
All that scrounge firewood. Called about an add on Craig's list last week and got in touch with a tree service. He said he'd just let me know when and where he had wood for me. I'm just wondering from those that scrounge, how far they will drive for free wood. This is something different I'm trying. I normally cut right around my place but figured if I could find good wood for free. I could help them and me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I personally move stuff about 40 miles from my hunting cabin to my main cabin where most of my wood is consumed via boiler and fireplace. Granted 99 percent of the trips are made with another purpose making the wood delivery cost zero except for the difference in mileage from running from unloaded to loaded.

You have to determine if there is a value on your time ie could you be working at $XX per hour instead and the actual cost of fuel and a small amount of depreciation on your vehicle. I would happily drive an hour to get good wood knowing that my truck and trailer can haul 1.25 cords. Don't need many trips like that to put up a season of wood. Or if I had to haul alot I would borrow my buddy's dump trailer and haul a couple of cords at a time.

Latest posts

Back