Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 870 was the first gun I was able to buy (when I was 18) w/o bringing my Mom with me!!! (I needed her the year before when I got the Mdl 94 Buff Bill commemorative w/26" octagon barrel in 30-30. Still got both of them.

Hey, if you want to go big bore lever, my top choices are .348 Winchester (I have an original - deluxe), or .35 Winchester in a Mdl 95 (never found one, but I do have a Browning repro in 30-06).

The deer teased me this evening, staying just out of range, and in a direction I could not shoot. But at least I saw them, my time will come.

Was perusing the walmart garden dept yesterday, which of course has been overtaken by christmas junk. Off in a corner was a pile of axes, mauls, &wedges. Two mid length fiskars& a fiskars X15 were in the pile. I noticed the X15 had some nicks on the blade so i asked about a discount. They flagged a nearby manager down, he looked at it and said "take 50% off" to the cashier. I think it was mislabeled to begin with at $44, but at $22 it feels like a win.

Might be worth a shot at your local walmart to look at the garden section. This time of year they're focused on selling chinese trees and lights, and couldn't care less about where they throw the Fiskars or what condition they're in. Deals can be had!

Its funny
Here in Australia the whole "Prepper" thing hasn't bit.
No mass hysteria stocking underground bunkers with canned food, water and millions of rounds of ammo. In fact I have trouble just buying basics like projectiles, primers and powder to reload for a bit of target shooting cause America is stockpiling.

If China or Indonesia wants us we are probably ripe for the picking with the majority of our coastline vastly un-populated, and who wouldn't want us with the East of the country being made of coal, the West made of Iron Ore, rich deposits of uranium in the north and oil and gas all around.

I figure if the Chinese and Russians team up and decide to take over, no tin can under ground filled with canned beans and bottled water is going to save us.

Oh..... and what I looked this thread up for......

I have got onto 3 x 3 meter long 1 meter round (12 foot by 3-4 foot thick for the imperially challenged) eucalyptus logs that have been sitting dead for a year or 2
Gunna go smash them with my 066 on the weekend, see if they are any good

Was perusing the walmart garden dept yesterday, which of course has been overtaken by christmas junk. Off in a corner was a pile of axes, mauls, &wedges. Two mid length fiskars& a fiskars X15 were in the pile. I noticed the X15 had some nicks on the blade so i asked about a discount. They flagged a nearby manager down, he looked at it and said "take 50% off" to the cashier. I think it was mislabeled to begin with at $44, but at $22 it feels like a win.

Might be worth a shot at your local walmart to look at the garden section. This time of year they're focused on selling chinese trees and lights, and couldn't care less about where they throw the Fiskars or what condition they're in. Deals can be had!

Same here, same box of assorted and I asked, they haven't gone down a penny yet.

The 870 was the first gun I was able to buy (when I was 18) w/o bringing my Mom with me!!! (I needed her the year before when I got the Mdl 94 Buff Bill commemorative w/26" octagon barrel in 30-30. Still got both of them.

Hey, if you want to go big bore lever, my top choices are .348 Winchester (I have an original - deluxe), or .35 Winchester in a Mdl 95 (never found one, but I do have a Browning repro in 30-06).

The deer teased me this evening, staying just out of range, and in a direction I could not shoot. But at least I saw them, my time will come.

My 870 was the first gun I bought but my dad was with me. Lol

It's one of the first Express Models and I think it was '87 or '88. When the express was introduced it was mainly as an ugly Wingmaster, just cosmetic and wood differences.

A far cry from the Express models now.

And I forgot allllll about the 348 and 358 Winchester. Giggle. I'm off to Gunbroker.

Same here, same box of assorted and I asked, they haven't gone down a penny yet.

There wasn't a box involved in my situation. Literally a pile on the floor of either mislabeled or unlabeled axes, mauls, ect. I thought the price was wrong on the X15 initially because 44 seemed too high, and when they scanned it nothing came up on thier computer. It seemed to be because they redesignate the outdoor tool section to christmas section, and in doing so certain items either become "homeless" or disappear from their computer system. At least the cashiers seemed to think so.

Its funny
No mass hysteria stocking underground bunkers with canned food, water and millions of rounds of ammo.

The "government" here is the one buying up billions of rounds of ammo and has the majority of the bunkers. Most individual Americans just want a couple thousand rds to stand a chance of having any. As far as "mass hysteria" goes, Let's compare the behavior of people that are starving and helpless to armed people with food after a supply chain interruption and we'll see which group is a hysterical mass.
As i'm typing this post, i'm about 15-20 minutes away from where the "Baltimore riots" very recently took place, and i'm not a big fan of this inverted logic social stigma. It completely fails the logic test on initial inspection, much less historical reality.

Yup , desperate I tells ya desperate LOL
Been over a couple of months since I drug a load home :(
With the mild weather up here I've not touched my hardwood yet , only zogger wood , some 2x's and I've finally started getting some from my stacks of spruce :)
Calling for 40's to 50's for the next 7 days up here in the Great White North :)

For your 2xs or pallet scrounges, you ever try to nail pieces together before burning to create more mass? I figure the thin pallet pieces will burn fast but if you could nail them together you essentially make a big split.

Oh, people care all right..millions. I was in a second amendment shop today, they were doing a jam up business, non stop.

FWIW, working in a all major brands warranty repair shop before, I paid attention to what *didn't* come in for repairs. Because this makes sense. Top of the list hands down because of the zillions made and out there over generations now, rem 870 pumps. Thousands of guns went through there in the time I was there, not a single 870 came in for anything other than cosmetics, different barrels, stuff like that.

I don't know, maybe that's the minority. John Oliver did a show where they went to NY and asked people on the street about Edward Snowden. No one knew exactly who he was or what he did. Bunch of them had him confused with Manning. Americans have always been kinda clueless with international affairs. Hell, most of us have no clue about our own political system.

I always wanted a Remington 1100. Also like the Beretta 390s. I don't think you can beat the sound of a pump action in regards to a sound deterrent though lol. More reliable too. For a handgun, I may go with a revolver. I know they have lower capacity but they are much more fail proof IMO. I see a lot of women in the Guard limp wristing the M9 which results in failure to feed. If I go through with my military plan she may have to live without me for a year or two.

Its funny
No mass hysteria stocking underground bunkers with canned food, water and millions of rounds of ammo. In fact I have trouble just buying basics like projectiles, primers and powder to reload for a bit of target shooting cause America is stockpiling.

If China or Indonesia wants us we are probably ripe for the picking with the majority of our coastline vastly un-populated, and who wouldn't want us with the East of the country being made of coal, the West made of Iron Ore, rich deposits of uranium in the north and oil and gas all around.

I figure if the Chinese and Russians team up and decide to take over, no tin can under ground filled with canned beans and bottled water is going to save us.

I definitely have no desire to become a prepper. Always thought those guys were kind of crazy. The damn Chinese have about 2.6 million military members! The Russians just started to build a high tech tank that's supposed to rival ours. Only thing holding them back from mass producing is their finances.

The "government" here is the one buying up billions of rounds of ammo and has the majority of the bunkers. Most individual Americans just want a couple thousand rds to stand a chance of having any. As far as "mass hysteria" goes, Let's compare the behavior of people that are starving and helpless to armed people with food after a supply chain interruption and we'll see which group is a hysterical mass.
As i'm typing this post, i'm about 15-20 minutes away from where the "Baltimore riots" very recently took place, and i'm not a big fan of this inverted logic social stigma. It completely fails the logic test on initial inspection, much less historical reality.

Well the government has been giving a lot of rounds and equipment to the local police forces. Not really sure why the police need machine guns.

I'm planning on being back in Baltimore soon. Hopefully this time they at least give us riot gear.

Nice!!!!!!!!
I loooooove 35 calibers!!!!!

After this past season of using my 44 mag 1894 it brought a renewed enjoyment in lever actions. I might have to look into a 35 Rem.

I've owned half a dozen Winchester 94s and several 336s, all thurdy thurdys, this .35 is cool for sure. Not really a whiskers difference between the two ballistics wise, but some people swear the .35 kills em deader. Can't argue so far.

Oh, people care all right..millions. I was in a second amendment shop today, they were doing a jam up business, non stop.

FWIW, working in a all major brands warranty repair shop before, I paid attention to what *didn't* come in for repairs. Because this makes sense. Top of the list hands down because of the zillions made and out there over generations now, rem 870 pumps. Thousands of guns went through there in the time I was there, not a single 870 came in for anything other than cosmetics, different barrels, stuff like that.

Your repair shop knowledge is valuable. I have had a couple 870's and to me were flawless. I argued with a guy one day that said the Mossberg 500 was the best pump in that price range.
So, what did you see the most of and least of?

I remember witnessing the riots of the 60s first hand (in the Peekskill NY area). People died. An out of control mob is something you don't forget. My Dad's office was 2 doors down from the Police Station, and the protests were going on right in back of it.

I was not allowed to leave the office w/o a parent, unless I had my dog with me, then my parents knew I would be safe. He was a good dog!

As a former Boy Scout, I will "Be Prepared"!

I've owned half a dozen Winchester 94s and several 336s, all thurdy thurdys, this .35 is cool for sure. Not really a whiskers difference between the two ballistics wise, but some people swear the .35 kills em deader. Can't argue so far.
I've got two model 336 CS's in .35 Rem. I've killed more deer with one of them, than probably all other long guns combined, over the decades. Much better brush gun in the thick stuff, especially launching 200 gr rounds.

I've got two model 336 CS's in .35 Rem. I've killed more deer with one of them, than probably all other long guns combined, over the decades. Much better brush gun in the thick stuff, especially launching 200 gr rounds.

That's what people keep saying, I believe it. Around here 100yds is a long shot in the hollers and brush, I'd much rather have a good brush gun than a 300yd tack driver any day.

That's what people keep saying, I believe it. Around here 100yds is a long shot in the hollers and brush, I'd much rather have a good brush gun than a 300yd tack driver any day.
Agree...unless overlooking a corner of a field, power line or gas line hunting, rare is the shot in the woods here over 80-100 yards or so...perfect .35 territory. I got plenty of action glass-bed, barrel free-floated, bolt actions for the tack driving, long yardage stuff.

Back