Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was my philosophy. Retired from County Dispatch and went after more scrounges. Didn't need any more wood and wife wanted me to stop but I knew if I ever quit working and just sat around I wouldn't lasst long. I currently have some 90-100 cord, half or more is locust, in the 'wood yard'. Sell a few cords/yr. I figure I lose about $100 a cord when I sell as my gas bills are outrageous with all the running I do back and forth.

I will admit that swinging that MS441 drssed with a 32" bar is getting a bit much.

My 6 weeks doing nothing after the back surgery (thread 'house bound') didn't do me any favors. Lost some conditioning and at this age once lost it isn't going to come back much.

Finally gave up looking for my digital camera and bought a new one. I'll shoot some pics in the wood yard and see if I can post them.

Ooops "I currently have some 90-100 cord, half or more is locust, in the 'wood yard'. I took a good look this monring. Make that some 60=70 cords out there, most being Black Locust".

Tried taking a film clip of me splitting wood. Now all I have to do is figure out how to down load from the camera and if it's there, how to post it here. Someone sent me instructions and they sound simple enought for even I to do it.

Ooops "I currently have some 90-100 cord, half or more is locust, in the 'wood yard'. I took a good look this monring. Make that some 60=70 cords out there, most being Black Locust".

Tried taking a film clip of me splitting wood. Now all I have to do is figure out how to down load from the camera and if it's there, how to post it here. Someone sent me instructions and they sound simple enought for even I to do it.
Upload the vid to youtube then copy the link and paste the link here. Find a young wippersnapper and they will have you fixed up in a jiffy

Attachments

• 20180319_181448.jpg
    20180319_181448.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 36
Didn’t use it much today but maybe you axe swingers aren’t totally nuts. That Fiskars impressed me on some ash and elm. I have some big oak rounds I’m going to try it on to see if I can get them into manageable pieces so I don’t have to take the splitter. That way I can take the trailer and haul more home per trip.

Didn’t use it much today but maybe you ace swingers aren’t totally nuts. That Fiskars impressed me on some ash and elm. I have some big oak rounds I’m going to try it on to see if I can get them into manageable pieces so I don’t have to take the splitter. That way I can take the trailer and haul more home per trip.
On that Oak, don't hit the round in the center. Try more for off center. Split it in thirds. Trust me on this one, ask me how I know. The oak will be more like a two strike split.

Hayum....I have tried plunge cutting several times and it never works. It just stutters and kicks back real hard. I have full chisel on everything. Is it because of the chain? What am I doing wrong? I understand the concept of how its supposed to work but it never works. Full throttle? half?

Hayum....I have tried plunge cutting several times and it never works. It just stutters and kicks back real hard. I have full chisel on everything. Is it because of the chain? What am I doing wrong? I understand the concept of how its supposed to work but it never works. Full throttle? half?
Start with the bottom part of the bar nose and cut a bit and then tilt your way into it.

Start with the bottom part of the bar nose and cut a bit and then tilt your way into it.

I probably plunge cut more than any other cut. I'm a little nervous when it comes to leaners and barber chairs. Make sure you got the rpm's up and angle the tip when starting. Once you get it started you can usually just push the saw through. Your gonna cut most of the side anyways so if you have to scribe it wider than the tip to make it work that doesn't matter. Pretty crazy how small of a strap can hold so much wood.

Back