Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ppfff....every vid I see makes it look easy
It is once you know how to do it :yes:.
At least I told you what was going on, the most important parts to me are from 3-5 seconds, knowing what is actually happening is important as the actions themselves are not necessarily natural.
Kickback is caused buy the portion of the tip on the top front 1/4 of it(this causes the tip of the bar to get pushed up by the chain rotating down the tip), and pushback when in the bore starts there usually and then is transferred to the top of the bar and can cause the chain to grab as it's going forward and then transfers that energy to the saw pushing it back.
If you understand why kickback/pushback occurs you can avoid it. Thus if you understand why you have had difficulty boring (kickback) you can learn to avoid it and make a bore cut. Many times we learn a technique without knowing why it works, I think it's good to learn both as it will apply in other areas of work. Perfect example; most avoid upper front 1/4 of the tip, but understanding why you need to helps to do a bore cut or to use the action of the tip lifting in a cut to make effortless cuts when bucking firewood with the top of the bar. Also understanding this you can even make a bore/plunge cut starting with the top of the bar first, but that's one the safety police will be all over:crazy2:, there are places where knowing these little tricks can make a seemingly impossible cut quite easy and also safer.

So last night I’m outside at the cabin at 8:45 and I see headlights and hear an ATV up in the woods by my neighbors cabin (they live 4 hours away and aren’t here), loud voices, then the ATV takes off at high speed.

Text my other neighbor (he lives closer to town) and ask if that’s him. He answers right away “nope” and then he says but I’m on my way now. I said great, I’ll head out on the road and see what was going on and then head your way. Check my neighbors door and no issues.

He came up on the people in the wheeler about 50 yards before they hit the county road. Guy was evasive and played dumb but the lady nodded when he asked if they were back by the cabins.

They (or someone with similar tracks) were back up the road again after he left. Not sure what’s going on back there... Luckily that’s 3 miles from my place and there are several other cabins back there that aren’t occupied if they are looking for an easy mark.

Knock on wood we’ve been pretty lucky. My local neighbor is pretty aggressive with making people feel unwelcome back there if he comes across them so it helps, I think. I’ve still had people in my yard (same guy on the trail cam 3 times and on the 4th I was there on a Monday and surprised him, he hasn’t been back).

Stuff like that makes a guy wonder...I can see accidentally driving into someone’s yard once. But what’s up with coming in several times?

I've been working through this mess at the gun club. It's white oak with the occasional stick of beech or walnut thrown in. It's been there for 2+ years, so it should be ready to burn sooner rather than later.
20180929_130617.jpg

I'm going to start the stove with the maple that I have and burn this stuff in the dead of winter when it's colder than f**k.

Hope they lit a match:lol:.

Don't need one, my outhouse is a "deluxe" (according to the Alaskan Channel) because it has a window! Also has a soft seat, which works just like a hot seat, it is NEVER cold!!! And those fools bring their out house seat into the cabin to warm it!!! (Don't worry, I knew what you meant with the match).

And since we recently ran pipes, it now has the "Acme" self flushing system from the cabin gutters when it rains (beep beep)!

I've been working through this mess at the gun club. It's white oak with the occasional stick of beech or walnut thrown in. It's been there for 2+ years, so it should be ready to burn sooner rather than later.
View attachment 677889

I'm going to start the stove with the maple that I have and burn this stuff in the dead of winter when it's colder than f**k.
me thinks you have ash ther3 Bobby. at least the big log. heres a pic of a small white oak.
20171213_095610.jpg

Don't need one, my outhouse is a "deluxe" (according to the Alaskan Channel) because it has a window! Also has a soft seat, which works just like a hot seat, it is NEVER cold!!! And those fools bring their out house seat into the cabin to warm it!!! (Don't worry, I knew what you meant with the match).

And since we recently ran pipes, it now has the "Acme" self flushing system from the cabin gutters when it rains (beep beep)!
Man what's the addy, your sounds nicer than the one at my house :).
One day I was taking a leak in the bathroom and looking out the window and thought, why am I in here, I could be out there doing this, it's great living in the woods :yes:.

Man what's the addy, your sounds nicer than the one at my house :).
One day I was taking a leak in the bathroom and looking out the window and thought, why am I in here, I could be out there doing this, it's great living in the woods :yes:.
Just got the camper down to the land last weekend

Attachments

• Resized_20180929_123314.jpg
    Resized_20180929_123314.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 21
395 is a man of a saw! First plunge cut I ever did was with a craftsman. A saw I felt I could out muscle. Try with the grain first like noodling as there is less resistance. Then move to cross cutting.

In Ireland right now. They are burning turf/peat. Kinda smells but puts off a nice heat.

Latest posts

Back