Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a lot of well executed noodling you got there. My compliments. I do the same thing to downsize our logs for the splitter.

Consider this: if you are making 18" firewood, you can make noodling cuts deep enough to cut off two firewood lengths with a 36" bar. With less bar than that, your options are more limited. If you are making 24" firewood, then there won't be much benefit with a bigger bar unless you step up to a monster bar. My 50" bar was really good for making firewood out of big logs.

That's kind of you to say. That's also a good point about having the long bar to noodle two firewood lengths at a time. I like to cut mine to about 15 inches so it wasn't worth blunting the 25in chain on the 661 noodling so I used the 20in bar on the 460 to do the noodling cuts and the 661 to buck. A 30 or 32 inch bar would have been really handy there.

Look Jeff it’s not so bad the likes of you Dancan and Cowboy who have wood piles you can see from space make me look tame. I’m two years ahead and only burn 2 cord per year and my neighbors think I have issues. All I have to do is point my neighbors to this thread to see I’m not too bad......... only problem is once they see I’m on a wood scrounging forum they’ll know for sure I have issues :surprised3:

Yeah, people laugh at you so I tend not to say it either. I told Dave that and he had a chuckle but he didn't give me too much of a hard time since, after all, I was cutting 1.5 cords for him for free at the time.

Thanks for the response/advice.
Do you find they run small for you, or are the sizes pretty accurate.
I can get a pair with the composite toes(Bekina Steplite X X290GB) delivered for $85 USD, seems reasonable, not many places to price shop them here.
Bummer is I won't be able to try them out, the only size I can get close to what I wear is a 9 which is what I wear :).
View attachment 682841

The StepliteX is slipperier on ice and in snow than the Thermolites plus they're not as warm .
The sizes are listed on the boot in 3 sizes , for example mine are 43 EU , 10 USA and 9 UK .
From experience the 9 UK matched up with the Canadian sizing from the 70's and early 80's then things changed somehow that a size 10 fit like the 9 .
I've bought boots and sneakers over the last few years and have had to buy some that were tagged 11 USA , I figured size has become a Texas thing because I've read that everything is bigger in Texas lol
It would be best to find a EU sizing chart and go with that , it seems to be standardized .
If I recall Haix had a size chart on their US website .

Re: Stupid Honda G200

So would you believe the wires to the points were loose enough to intermittently ground out on the points cover?

Then when I saw they were loose I tightened them where they were. Which grounded immediately once I put the cover on. Ran purty good without the cover.... Put the cover on notta sparky to be had.

Runs and split the last 2 buckets of the little oak. Tenacity got it done. But am sure glad I wasn't making wages on that. Took me the better part of 2 days to sort it out. Was Damn close to buying a $100 6.5 Predator just cause it would work good enough.

On the other hand this reminded me why I like the Honda in the first place. Its quite and sips gas.

While scrounging for parts in the barn I spotted a modern Honda GX150 on a snow blower that shouldn't be... Ancient snowblower probably had a Fairbanks Morse or Clinton originally. No clue definetly early 60's or so.

Re: Stupid Honda G200

So would you believe the wires to the points were loose enough to intermittently ground out on the points cover?

Then when I saw they were loose I tightened them where they were. Which grounded immediately once I put the cover on. Ran purty good without the cover.... Put the cover on notta sparky to be had.

Runs and split the last 2 buckets of the little oak. Tenacity got it done. But am sure glad I wasn't making wages on that. Took me the better part of 2 days to sort it out. Was Damn close to buying a $100 6.5 Predator just cause it would work good enough.

On the other hand this reminded me why I like the Honda in the first place. Its quite and sips gas.

While scrounging for parts in the barn I spotted a modern Honda GX150 on a snow blower that shouldn't be... Ancient snowblower probably had a Fairbanks Morse or Clinton originally. No clue definetly early 60's or so.
Glad you got it figured out.
I also had a rough day starting my Honda GX motor :cry:, I pulled it and didn't have a good enough grip on the handle and it pulled out of my hand, then I had to pull it one more time to get it to actually start, two pulls, very disappointing :laugh:.
To bad I'm letting this one go down the rd, I like the Honda gx series engines, but the 35 ton huskee is too heavy for me(specifically the tongue weight).
You better get some more oak :chainsaw::chop:.

The StepliteX is slipperier on ice and in snow than the Thermolites plus they're not as warm .
The sizes are listed on the boot in 3 sizes , for example mine are 43 EU , 10 USA and 9 UK .
From experience the 9 UK matched up with the Canadian sizing from the 70's and early 80's then things changed somehow that a size 10 fit like the 9 .
I've bought boots and sneakers over the last few years and have had to buy some that were tagged 11 USA , I figured size has become a Texas thing because I've read that everything is bigger in Texas lol
It would be best to find a EU sizing chart and go with that , it seems to be standardized .
If I recall Haix had a size chart on their US website .
Bummer, I can't find the thermolites here, there aren't very many of the Steplite-X either.
Maybe they would be okay since it's not quite as harsh here :havingarest:.
I've noticed my shoe size seems to be growing as well, been wondering about that.

Bummer, I can't find the thermolites here, there aren't very many of the Steplite-X either.
Maybe they would be okay since it's not quite as harsh here :havingarest:.
I've noticed my shoe size seems to be growing as well, been wondering about that.
It's gravity, first your hair falls out then your stomach sags, your b-lls drop were you sit on them and your feet get bigger. lol

Gave the 310 its first workout in over two years today. Nice little scounge 50 yds from my aunt's front door. My boy was there with his grandmother to supervise things. After I put the saw away I noticed there is a locust tree just to the left of this one that was part of the same root ball. I probably would have fooled with it first had I known. This looks to me like maybe an elm tree? What say you fellow scroungers?

IMG_8368.JPG IMG_8373.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8387.JPG
    IMG_8387.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8388.JPG
    IMG_8388.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8367.JPG
    IMG_8367.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
Back