Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was bidding on some stuff at an online auction and noticed these plastic lids off collapsible totes. I thought they might work good to lay on the ground and dump my splits onto off the conveyor. They are 40"x 48" and about 2 1/2" high, fairly heavy plastic. I bought about 150 of them because I'm crazy but figured I could always burn them in my OWB if they don't work out. I also have some 4 wheeler trails in the bush that are pretty mushy and these might work good enough for bridges there too. I also bought about 75 bags or covers for these totes. They will fit over my wooden firewood crates that I already have. Honest honey it's a win win.
20181129_103432.jpg 20181129_103428.jpg 20181129_103413.jpg

Ooooohhhhh, you threatened to burn plastic in your owb! It won't end well....I predict at least 3 pages of comments about that. Although..... It seems, thankfully, the scrounge thread is much more laid back than elsewhere so maybe it'll slide right by. No colourless spiders here to fan the flames.

Ooooohhhhh, you threatened to burn plastic in your owb! It won't end well....I predict at least 3 pages of comments about that. .
He would deserve much more than that if he did.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt in favor of sarcasm.

Philbert

Sorry I have been kind of MIA lately. Busy as heck with family and work. Haven't started a saw in weeks.

I have been studying my ancestry a lot over the past few years. The other nationalities did not keep good records prior to the early 1800's but the Scot/Irish/English records are quite good and go a long ways back. On Monday I discovered I am related to William Wallace (as in Braveheart of Scotland). His younger brother was my 21x-great grandfather. Most of my male relatives from that line were imprisoned and sent to London for execution after the rebellion so luckily for me they spared the children.

Also found out through my English side that I am DISTANT cousins, several times removed with John Wayne, Marlon Brando, Laura Bush, Lady Bird Johnson, Thoreau, and few other well known people. Apparently there is software that you can chart your family tree against that of other people through the ancestry website and it will give you individuals who share a common ancestor. All of the folks listed above shared a great grandmother with me in the 1500-1600's.

Ooooohhhhh, you threatened to burn plastic in your owb! It won't end well....I predict at least 3 pages of comments about that. Although..... It seems, thankfully, the scrounge thread is much more laid back than elsewhere so maybe it'll slide right by. No colourless spiders here to fan the flames.
LOL

When I get into it, I will be sure to ask some questions. I dont think there is going to be to much wrong with it. They said it was running pretty good when it was parked. The fact that it took very little effort to get it unstuck suggests to me it is just a victim of being left out in the weather. I can buy a chinese carb for about $35 not sure what a oem carb would cost. I suspect the carb is a victim of ethanol gas and the fact it dried out. I will probably find rust and corrosion inside when I tear it down. I have/had a bucket I used to put old carbs in to clean. I would fill it with carb cleaner and I had a small air line soldered in the bottom of the can. I would hook up a low pressure air hose and make the carb cleaner just boil. This would pretty much remove any corrosion and varnish, but you couldnt put any diaphrams or rubber in it. Not a sonic cleaner, but works similar. Whether or not gas leaked thru the carb into the crankcase I havent checked. If it leaked in while the machine set not running, then it shouldnt have done any damage, but a oil change will be needed.

I've never seen one stuck from sitting unless it had water in it. However the starter clutch can lock up and takes a bit to free it up. Once free they are usually fine. Don't do the chinese carb. You'll regret it. Clean like you do and replace the o-rings and probably the needle and seat. Yamaha diaphragms are tough as nails so if it isn't ripped you can leave it and the fuel will soften it. They were a great work machine. Was the last big oil cooled wheeler that Yamaha built. Had some dairy farmers with well over 10k rounds on them with original motors.

Most of us have seen it all Neil. Railroad ties,telephone poles,tires and whatnot. Couple of plastic pallets I didn't even blink an eye.:laughing:

We got snow at camp... I'm still looking to scrounge up a deer.
c1a89b7edd9e830e52fec7b6c0cb824b.jpg

Not that I’m shopping for a new chainsaw but I came across this and it looks like a pretty awesome tool.

Ah! A Christmas present for me....but then the specs show it is an almost direct replacement for my 2 yoa MS362 except a bit lighter. Intriguing "no carb" fuel injection. I was expecting a 4 cycle engine. I'll still be tempted every time I enter a dealer's store.

The rate my health is deteriorating though I don't think I'll be swinging a saw much longer. Spinal surgery last summer to clear arthritic condition in right leg. Now my left hip is getting to be a real problem.

Been Mia too. Visiting dad, helping mum, then this week, dads funeral. there's a lot more helping mum to do obvs. some of that involves wood as i am primary supplier of seasoned wood and kindling. i've moved 2m3 there now since august. 2/3 of acube has gone up in smoke so far. dad used to be the stove operator but mum has learnt that art well already. need to get her to run it for heat not just ambience.....i keep saying, ' mum, burn my wood, not my inheritance.' :D

I think this deserves it's own thread :D

my neighbour is burning tote lids
what chain for plastic
what saw for tote lids
best way to stack lids
will these season by winter
my flue looks full of creosote, why
what brush set
last night i needed the fire dept

one thread? just one? ;)

Latest posts

Back