Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well no firewood wood scrounging last weekend, did burn some scrounged wood thoughView attachment 750419went camping up by Montana boarder with our son and daughter in-lawView attachment 750416 , great time. Sure nice not having cell service for awhile :)
Took the ole ford, different trailer this time though;)View attachment 750415Lots cedar up there, and white pine, and even found a few birch, don’t see them around home.

nice pix! I could feel the freshness of that Montana mountain river scene. only thing missing, imo... was some fly fishing! :D

Hey guys, I want some advice and recommendations here. I just saw a truck at a used car dealer. It is a 2007 Ford F-350, eight foot bed, single rear tires, single cab, under 90,000 miles. It is priced at about $10,000, plus tax, tag and title. The bed seems to have some rust under a sprayed on bedliner; it was a work truck, but been in Georgia since new.

The question has to do with the engine: it is a 6.0 turbocharged diesel. What do I need to know about this engine in particular and diesels of this time in general?

Thanks for any input.

Abbott295

6.0 ford- if you delete the egr , catalytic converters and upgrade the cooling components related to the turbo, makes a nice eng. you can also stud the heads & add a second o-ring head gasket if doing a lot of heavy towing. I have 250k miles on my 04 F250 had to replace the High pressure fuel pump ( HPOP) at 240k still on the same injectors and turbo, with good fuel I get 21mpg- with run of the mill stuff 18-19 . automatic and a 3.7x rear end 4x4
The gassers will range between 12-15 hwy, 8-10 in towndepending on rear gears

My friend who purchase a used 5.0 wanted a stick also, but you just can't find them any more! I'm just glad the 10 speed I got in the new truck is supposed to be rock solid.

Even the new Vette and GT 500 Mustangs will not be available with stick shifts, an era is ending!

I'm on Mustang #10, and only one was an auto (a 67 390 with AC etc). Just could not find a big block stick for sale at the time, and I was running ads for one!

Every 3 k change oil and filters- synthetic and drain fuel water collector which is part of the low pressure fuel pump assembly. 7.3 solid eng but not in the same league as the 60,6.4,6.7 there was no turbo on the 7.3 until about 3/4 worth of its run 02 was the last year of the 7.3 in the f250/350. the V10 and 7.3 turbo were neck in neck on hp and torque. The 7.3 would only win out on long heavy tows- at the time diesel was almost a $1.00 more per gallon than gas. From maintenance stand point $ wise the V10 was out front. Replaced my 6.9 diesel ( another good engine, truck body and frame died of the red death) with the V10 because of the fuel cost

The 6.0 seems hit or miss. Some people have all the problems and others are as reliable as an anvil. Have a coworker with 286k on his with nothing but oil changes and general maintenance.
I had a 2004 6.0 in a F350 and could not get away from it fast enough. Motor was at shop 13 times for egr and massive oil leaks, last straw was when turbo went out. Had around 60,000 on truck and Ford offered to add 100,000 bumper to bumper on top of 60,000. Traded it in on a 2006 2500HD GMC lbz, still driving it.

I'll add my 2 cents. Bought brand new 2008 6.4 F-250. Ran great except for doing the regen what I thought was to often. At about 40K the EGR valve started leaking. Almost $2K to repair. My mechanic is top notch. Head diesel mechanic at the Ford dealer. I just didn't want problems out on the road when pulling the camper far from home. Got a great deal on a leftover F250 2017 6.2 gas. Mileage is about the same as the diesel but a $10-15 savings at the pump at fill up. Can't tell much difference in pulling.

Thanks, guys. I think we have come to a conclusion here. I will leave it alone.

How about a 1969 Mercedes Unimog 404, troop carrier, gas engine that needs rings and reassembly. A totally different animal. The story is that the engine was stuck and in forcing it to turn, believe they broke piston rings. Three cylinders have no compression, maybe it was two. The engine is assembled, the cab and such needs reassembly. I don't need more projects and I have no place to put it to work on it. Been this way for eight years. I suspect there could be more or other things found to repair or replace.

Back