Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My uncle bought a 400 tripple in 76 I think .
Drove it for years then put it away in the shed , sold it in the early 2000's for what he paid new lol

I own one of them and know how to use it ;)
I should take lessons. Have a few treddle machines and 2 or 3 electric. I can barely thread a needle to sew a button on. They were investments... Let ya know how that turns out someday.

I got caught up today, and it was sunny and beautiful, so I played with my Asian 440 Big Bore a little.

I gotta tell you I'm impressed with it. It is all Asian parts, except the piston, piston pin bearing and pull cord, and I did all the port work myself, and it is the first time I did any modifications to a carb (I opened up the venture).

I did not have any more rounds to cut, so I noodled some Red Oak and Red Maple. It started and idled well, accelerated well, and held speed very well in the cut. I'm sure it is not the best thing since sliced bread, but considering the jug is AM and has not been machined, and my porting tools consist of $6.99 Dremel impersonators from HF, and it has a modified AM carb … I'm pleased as punch with how it runs!

A medium size Ash tree blew down a few houses down from me and I got permission to cut it up (in the future) for my Daughter's firewood. I plan to give this saw it's first real workout converting the tree into firewood in the next week or so.

My first two stroke. Bought it at 16 years old. 1975 Kawasaki two stroke triple, 500cc.He had a 750 but refused to sell that to me....View attachment 818180
Probably a good thing he didn't sell it to you!! I had a 750 in my early 20's (1978 - 79) and damn near killed myself on it. Amazingly quick bike:oops: I had to sell it to keep my license..

Well MOTHERSTUMPER!!!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

f8d602e97971b13f451f444891858da4.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I got caught up today, and it was sunny and beautiful, so I played with my Asian 440 Big Bore a little.

I gotta tell you I'm impressed with it. It is all Asian parts, except the piston, piston pin bearing and pull cord, and I did all the port work myself, and it is the first time I did any modifications to a carb (I opened up the venture).

I did not have any more rounds to cut, so I noodled some Red Oak and Red Maple. It started and idled well, accelerated well, and held speed very well in the cut. I'm sure it is not the best thing since sliced bread, but considering the jug is AM and has not been machined, and my porting tools consist of $6.99 Dremel impersonators from HF, and it has a modified AM carb … I'm pleased as punch with how it runs!

A medium size Ash tree blew down a few houses down from me and I got permission to cut it up (in the future) for my Daughter's firewood. I plan to give this saw it's first real workout converting the tree into firewood in the next week or so.
Nice!

At some point I want to try my hand at modding a saw. Not quite ready yet. I think I'm gonna try on a 254, once I find another one. I have a line on one that needs a new top cover, and maybe a tank/handle, but I'm hoping it has a goof P/C, etc. If it does and I can get it cheap enough, I may put it under the dremel.

What is "AM"? I see that referenced a lot in saw ads.

Nice!

At some point I want to try my hand at modding a saw. Not quite ready yet. I think I'm gonna try on a 254, once I find another one. I have a line on one that needs a new top cover, and maybe a tank/handle, but I'm hoping it has a goof P/C, etc. If it does and I can get it cheap enough, I may put it under the dremel.

What is "AM"? I see that referenced a lot in saw ads.
After Market

So, since I have a key to the gate and own a "No Parking" sign or 2 but don't own the road I still show respect for the privilege of being a key holder .
When I haul out a bunch to cut up
tYwpGIb.jpg

I clean up my mess
otdwE4g.jpg
Good work. I clean up as well. Scrounging often attracts scroungers, almost like people think your scrounging area is magically better than theirs.

Today i saw , how would you say it...? Maybe...” drive by scroungers”

My neighbor had some trees cut down along the side of the road. There still a good amount of wood sitting out there that needs to be picked up.

Saw a pick up truck drive-by and slow down. Then they kept on going in about 10 minutes later they drove by stopped real quick, got out with a saw, Cut a few pieces off as a possible, through them in and took off[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. They were basically running the entire time.

Little did they know if they would’ve stopped and knocked on the neighbors door he would have told them to fill up their truck for free[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

IDIOTS!!!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Went out to the farm again this morning with a helper. Unfortunately Mitch burned the last two logs that I had my eye on, I saw the plume of smoke go up from my house yesterday. Not to worry though, there's always more around the place. First I sacrificed the sharpness of my chain finishing up the blue gum logs.

15th May 2.jpg

15th May 4.jpg

While I was doing that, Cowlad was loading up the Ranger.

15th May 10.jpg

Did a pretty good job, I thought.

15th May 3.jpg

I plan to head out for a load most days providing it is not supposed to rain and now that the boy is on holidays, he can load while I split.

:)

I'd agree and I'd happily add them to the list.
Surprising to most I'd buy a 660 or a 661 for milling duty before buying a 395, not really a fan of the front tensioner on the 395.
@MechanicMatt funny you should like this post just now, you'll never guess what came home with me tonight :omg::lol:.
What's a guy to do?

Back