Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks nice!

EDIT: Just saw this Grizzly saw mill. When I first read the description I THOUGHT it said that it was electric, like a large bandsaw used in a cabinet shop. Thought that might make a nice mill 'in-between' chainsaw and larger, trailer mounted ones. But it is powered by a 13.5 HP gas motor, and is 800 pounds; not exactly portable without some assistance. Sorry for any confusion.

View attachment 826407
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-28-Portable-Sawmill/G0901
Philbert
Thanks!
That looks like a nice mill, thanks for the info. Would like something like that some time but don’t have a very good way to move logs on to it. Been wanting something little better more efficient than what I have but still portable and low to the ground so I actually just ordered one of thesehttps://www.norwoodsawmills.com/en_us/portamill-pm14
Wanting something for making D logs also and my panther mill doesn’t work well for that.

Spent some time in the woods today with the Ford and the 241. Dragged five logs that were down, four were dead as and one was a small sugar maple that the one ash fell on and took down with it.

My good buddy called while I was finishing up dragging, and asked if he could come help buck them up. I said "hell yeah" and he ran straight over with his muff modded 310.

We made quick work of the logs, and the little 241 kept up with that 310 no problem!!

Almost got two good loads from it. Should be more than enough to fill the rick. The one was a big ash, had to cut her in half to drag it. Not that the tractor couldn't pull it, it was just too long to weaver through the woods on my one trail.

Today was a good day. Time for some food, and some bourbon.

5B359CE9-5A76-491E-A05C-B8B1AD066637.jpeg2E4D4F8E-D527-4966-A936-5253DDC9AC97.jpeg1D67B56D-1646-4640-B9EE-B46030924056.jpeg566EDF78-D79F-4139-A8C5-D45955588B03.jpeg5DD0BF0B-F27E-4AFD-A558-5163A4EC69AA.jpeg

Spent some time in the woods today with the Ford and the 241. Dragged five logs that were down, four were dead as and one was a small sugar maple that the one ash fell on and took down with it.

My good buddy called while I was finishing up dragging, and asked if he could come help buck them up. I said "hell yeah" and he ran straight over with his muff modded 310.

We made quick work of the logs, and the little 241 kept up with that 310 no problem!!

Almost got two good loads from it. Should be more than enough to fill the rick. The one was a big ash, had to cut her in half to drag it. Not that the tractor couldn't pull it, it was just too long to weaver through the woods on my one trail.

View attachment 826471View attachment 826472View attachment 826473View attachment 826474View attachment 826475
Good looking wood and tractor.

This showed up at my house today. Neighbor called and asked if I would like some cut wood from a tree that her daughter had taken down at her house in town. (These questions are silly - of course I want it.) So her daughter delivered it, 6 trunk loads in her little Chevy car plus a round in the back seat that wouldn't fit in the trunk. I offered to pick it up but she insisted on delivering it. So I split and then played in the yard with my daughter between deliveries. It's maple so it's not awesome, but you won't hear me complain about free delivered wood.
20200509_174139.jpg

View attachment 826471View attachment 826472View attachment 826473View attachment 826474View attachment 826475

Looks great! I look forward to the pics of your supplementary woodshed build now that you have finished filling this one.

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

This showed up at my house today. Neighbor called and asked if I would like some cut wood from a tree that her daughter had taken down at her house in town. (These questions are silly - of course I want it.) So her daughter delivered it, 6 trunk loads in her little Chevy car plus a round in the back seat that wouldn't fit in the trunk. I offered to pick it up but she insisted on delivering it. So I split and then played in the yard with my daughter between deliveries. It's maple so it's not awesome, but you won't hear me complain about free delivered wood.
View attachment 826476

Sweet! I'd take anything that was cut and delivered for free. Maybe even spruce :laugh:

Thanks!
That looks like a nice mill, thanks for the info. Would like something like that some time but don’t have a very good way to move logs on to it. Been wanting something little better more efficient than what I have but still portable and low to the ground so I actually just ordered one of thesehttps://www.norwoodsawmills.com/en_us/portamill-pm14
Wanting something for making D logs also and my panther mill doesn’t work well for that.
Will you be selling the wood? Is there a market for slabs? For lumber? If the latter, what sort of dimensions would be the max? 2x6, 4x8? Bigger?

Will you be selling the wood? Is there a market for slabs? For lumber? If the latter, what sort of dimensions would be the max? 2x6, 4x8? Bigger?
Hopefully some, haven’t pursued any sales yet. There is some demand for rough cut beams, counter tops, etc. Size really varies. Had one person ask about a live edge counter top but needed something already dry. Will mostly be used for my sons house/cabin (3 sided logs) and shed for me so far, oh and probably 2 chicken coops...

A long time friend gave me his brush cutter. Runs great and comes with string trimmer head, tri blades, and brush blade. I’ll definitely put it to good use.

View attachment 826477
Man them bike handles tear up my low back. Hope it agrees with you. Nice deal

My old new best friend from 3 years ago texted me in mid April with some firewood for me. At that point I expected our governor to end the lockdown in early May so told him I would be over then. Well, we are still not quite free to travel but since I consider firewood an essential life sustaining product I went to get it today with the free for nothing trailer. It's pine which is good for shoulder season and getting coals to fire up right quick and OWB don't care. He socially distanced himself by going in the house while I loaded.
20200509_195748.jpg

Back