Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Monday and Tuesday were two of the hottest days of the summer followed by some of the coldest. Unfortunately I have been inside working but will try to make a cord or two of wood this weekend. I would like to knock down 4 more cords total for June and then I can take a break until the heat breaks in August.

Several storms recently brought windfalls to the community. I have enough trees I don't have to scrounge for my wood. Craigslist locally is loaded with "come take this tree" ads. But, I find plenty of folks who want wood, aren't equipped either mechanically, or physically to handle the trees. I've still sold several cord in the past couple weeks. I did do one remote sawing job - for my Daughter and Son-in-Law. A nice large Maple blew over. The top of it took out three sections of their neighbor's horse fence. I spent one evening limbing out the top and replacing several rails. The horses (all three retired) seemed only casually interested in the noise of the saws, and not at all interested in an escape route from their home.

View attachment 835287

Had a great dinner, and back the next day with a bigger saw:

View attachment 835288

There is a slope in the lawn at this point, so I kind of kick-rolled them to the fence line where my SIL intends to split and stack this wood. I'm not sure he has a firm grasp of just how much wood this tree is going to make.

View attachment 835290

But, I have learned to let kids (34) make their own discoveries. Back on the saw, and I got to this last cut before the single trunk:

View attachment 835289

Home again to change out to a bigger bar. Probably could use a bigger saw, but this is the extent of my arsenal.
Where in PA are you? I'm in Mechanicsburg.

Looks like Hertz got approval to issue new shares while in bankruptcy. I still don't understand how it can be anything but an epic rort of retail investors/new shareholders (if Hertz can find any) but I guess time will tell. When I get more time will dive into it deeper and learn me something.

That leaf looks like Stripe Maple, much more common in Upstate NY than around here, but I have been seeing some down here also.

They are very common at my Upstate property. They seem to grow fast and do not get too large. Eight to 10" diameter is very large. The wood is very white and the bark strips easily. Great for the kids to make marshmallow sticks, etc. I also used it for railings for my hunting cabin. Worked very well.

Looks like Hertz got approval to issue new shares while in bankruptcy. I still don't understand how it can be anything but an epic rort of retail investors/new shareholders (if Hertz can find any) but I guess time will tell. When I get more time will dive into it deeper and learn me something.
Depending on what chapter of bankruptcy a company files, they can reorganize, shed old debt, and operate the business under a new company.

The mutt saw got a good workout on this super hard ash this evening. Man this frankin saw screams!!

37985ffa105a67373192f7529fb7b6c8.plist

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Where in PA are you? I'm in Mechanicsburg.
I'm in the northern tip of Chester County, this tree is at my daughter's place right about where the tpk cuts through Chester County. Both my kids went to Dickinson, and my Son-in-Law played hockey at several of the ice rinks in your area.

Ok, some more pictures of the big Maple. Here is a shot of leaves in the brush pile that hasn't made it to the chipper yet. I know this is a poor way to attempt to id a tree, but here they are:

IMG_7807.jpg

There is another one of these trees still standing in the lawn, actually hangs out over their deck. None of the limbs are low enough to grab a leaf for a close up, but here is a picture of the green leaves on the twin tree just up the hill:

IMG_7813.jpg

Not sure what the spots are all about. I am very interested in learning what the tree(s) are. I don't know of any others near me.

And, I did in fact make the rest of the stump into 20" long chunks for my son-in-law to hack on. You can see two things from this shot:
  1. it was definitely more than 10", rather over 40" DBH.
  2. I didn't have enough saw bar, but with some wedges following my kerf down both sides of the log, I was able to jump back and forth with a 24" bar and get through it
IMG_7810.jpg

A couple weeks ago I swapped a crane from one truck to another for a tree guy. I told him if he ever needed to dump a load of wood that I knew a guy..hehehe. anyways, I forgot about it until I get a call tonight " be over in 15 minutes, where do you want this wood?". Is it scrounging when the wood comes to you?
5c3b8697a89ec675ea8d37b4b6c466bd.jpg
1cb050790607f1807976ca1382446959.jpg
a2f3a8dc148e60378ef23376da3bdb26.jpg
fce98fc5d0b6f20a09ec7698f1dccd5c.jpg
ed5b256b3d269c2dcabf774d20db8642.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Ok, some more pictures of the big Maple. Here is a shot of leaves in the brush pile that hasn't made it to the chipper yet. I know this is a poor way to attempt to id a tree, but here they are:

View attachment 835411

There is another one of these trees still standing in the lawn, actually hangs out over their deck. None of the limbs are low enough to grab a leaf for a close up, but here is a picture of the green leaves on the twin tree just up the hill:

View attachment 835412

Not sure what the spots are all about. I am very interested in learning what the tree(s) are. I don't know of any others near me.

And, I did in fact make the rest of the stump into 20" long chunks for my son-in-law to hack on. You can see two things from this shot:
  1. it was definitely more than 10", rather over 40" DBH.
  2. I didn't have enough saw bar, but with some wedges following my kerf down both sides of the log, I was able to jump back and forth with a 24" bar and get through it
View attachment 835415
That looks bark wise and size wise like regular old silver maple. Maybe some sort of cross to get the funny leaves?

Why did Hertz file for bankruptcy? I've not bothered to read into it but the common reason is not a business that isn't making a profit, it's usually a debt that can't be paid due to lack of cash. If that is the case with Hertz, perhaps the debtors will agree to wait is Hertz raises cash? Hence the shares?
$19B of debt, losses for four consecutive years and a fleet of 700k cars while going into a pandemic that halts air travel and most car rentals. i still can't find any reason why anyone would buy the new share offering given they could be exposed to 100% losses, except for the parasitic/speculative BS greed that has been a pervasive cancer on markets for too long. When speculation replaces fundamentals and society allows it to happen, I have zero sympathy for those caught in the ensuing carnage. Uncle Fed might step in and save their arses but I hope not.

The leaves in your first pic look like Red or Black Maple (Red more likely in your area). I would guess the tree is Red, unless the wood is very hard.

Second pic still looks like Stripe Maple to me, with some Black Walnut in the background.

Maybe this will help:

http://www.maple-trees.com/pages/maple-tree-identification.php

Not sure what our overnight low was, but it’s still only 37 degrees outside. Going to make some mountain music in a little while.

Got to work yesterday and there was a box of saw stuff on the deck for me. A disassembled 240 Husky, K095 .325 bar and chain, and RSN bar with chain for large Homelite. The piston is still good on the 240 so I’m wondering why it was disassembled. A friend called and said he got it all from the free pile at the dump. I think I’ll reassemble the 240 as I have time. I’ve always wanted to see if I could fix the issues with them.

BCECA5CE-7C05-4107-8CA0-3F31A8B20155.jpegA13BD727-2B33-4D10-B301-7EC09099921D.jpeg496BE6B2-5D87-4AEF-9207-36D377AB924B.jpeg
And one for @Philbert
08F71F22-E160-4B4A-B190-159116D281B3.jpeg

Put the free for nothing trailer to the test today and broke my new rule about not getting greedy. Actually my new old new best friend was loading and he stacked it high (did I mention he's an ol' farm boy and is as strong as an ox? One of those guys who doesn't know their own strength - see it in him when playing basketball.) The second load was just a little smaller. I'm guessing a bit over a cord total. The biggest rounds were over 26" before they were split.
View attachment 832255

So what did you find inside the rounds? I see a lot of blue stains...

So what did you find inside the rounds? I see a lot of blue stains...
I thought the same thing initially. I never did find anying with the Fiskars or the metal detecting chain on the saw. The rounds were already cut but I did noodle a few stubborn pieces. The staining was in the center of the tree from the ground up so I'm wondering if it was some kind of fungus or mold. Or maybe the tree grew on top of a piece of metal in the ground. I really don't know.

Latest posts

Back