Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up pretty early. My oldest is doing a day trip with his gf and her mother and grandmother. They wanted him there at 7 am and their house is 45 minutes from the cabin so I had coffee rolling at 5:25. I let him pick up breakfast on the way-Combos and Mt Dew, such a teenage meal lol. Helping a friend move a forced air furnace in a few minutes then back to the cabin to make wood before it gets too warm.

as you can see, 1 round file is stuck.. and it IS stuck. can't pull it out even with needle nose pliers, can't even twist it with vice grips...maybe when it's worn it might come out before the holder breaks but well, I'm not confident tbh. and since i can't even twist it, one side of that file will never do any work...the other will wear fast.
So the fake might not have along life...we will find out in time whether the file comes out before the thing breaks or not.

the other test is of course, does it work? well ..yes! better than the stihl one! I'll start be caveating, I only have this trouble with the 3/8P 2 in 1, the standard 3/8 and 5.2mm version works great on my bigger chains but wit hthe pm3 stuff i have 2 problems. firstly the flt file never does anyhting more than kiss the raker, even on a chain that is right down and losing cutters. I have put this down to a possibly over hardened chain but wasn't convinced as even at the end of use on the chain both sets of guide rails would properly ride along the teeth either side of that one being sharpened. The other problem, although the chain still seemed to cut ok, the round files seem as if set too high and I never got any hook to the cutter. the cutter would go straight up to the working corner, or even backwards by the time the file was really worn. The chinese fake has the flat file/raker problem BUT does seem to get a better shape on the cutters.

not perfect...this tooth still seems a bit straight up.
View attachment 835658
buckin billy ray said get that gullet

Now I know some of you have expressed your concern for my personal safety with me driving a high mileage wheelbarrow for my firewood scrounging. But this week I have been doing some maintenance on it. When I'm done with the BLO on the sledge handle I have been using the leftover to coat the handles on the wheelbarrow.
View attachment 835684
I'm sure some of you woodworking types must be wondering how I get such an antique patina. Well I'm going to let you in on my secret: Do nothing but use the wheelbarrow for the first 25 years, perhaps occasionally overload it, and always, ALWAYS leave it outside. Then coat it with a BLO and paint thinner mix. That's it! All you really need is time. You're welcome.
I like it!!!! I usually replace broken handles on my trash picked barrows with wood from scaffold planks, or big pallets,, then soak em in used motor oil... Get about the same patina as yours!!! That one in teh picture looks very familiar,,,

I’m halfway through a load of aspen. Have about 15 more rounds to split and I’ll be done with wood bucked in 2018. One more tree to go and I’ll be done with 2019 wood too.

It’s sunny and 54 with high winds. Working in the sun gets hot but real nice in the shade. Mosquitoes nearly nonexistent. A few noseeums if you stop moving.
FDBDF067-F6D4-41BA-84C1-2828CF4AE199.jpeg

I’m halfway through a load of aspen. Have about 15 more rounds to split and I’ll be done with wood bucked in 2018. One more tree to go and I’ll be done with 2019 wood too.

It’s sunny and 54 with high winds. Working in the sun gets hot but real nice in the shade. Mosquitoes nearly nonexistent. A few noseeums if you stop moving.
View attachment 835806
Nice!

Glad you liked it Philbert, I thought you might. I thought given the price that they were with a look. In a manner, anybody on the fence about trying the 2 in1 could do worse than buy a cheapy to try, but I reckon the stuck file issue (btw, I've read others say the files are stuck) will mean it gets tossed and if I needed another I'd get the real thing. As you say, I dont expect the files will be high quality and long lasting either, so i expect it'll be tossed sooner rather than later.
I have one of these for my 550 (.325 chain) 56922B76-29BE-4FD9-A355-553185249D8B.jpeg
And as you mentioned it doesn’t seem to touch the depth gauges and not much hook on the cutters. I thought it was just me, lol.

I've had all the chainsawing I want for today. 4 trees turned into 6 then into 11...I lost count. They were almost all leaners, some the right way. The rest we roped. All fell according to plan except one and it was close enough. Mostly smaller trees 14-16" max. My friends neighbor owns a tree service (they are too expensive) and he even complimented me on the felling. I'll take luck over skill any day!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I have. I found it to be very time consuming for the yield, and doesn’t stack close because of twists and turns. The plus side would be no splitting. It burned hot, kind of fast.
I was surprised how much sap is coming out. It's still flowing

I have one of these for my 550 (.325 chain) View attachment 835813
And as you mentioned it doesn’t seem to touch the depth gauges and not much hook on the cutters. I thought it was just me, lol.

Oooh. It seems much better on my 3/8 full size chain on my 365. Although that is lightly used so hasn't been sharpened loads yet, maybe it will display more trouble as it wears further. its easy enogh to take the rakers down and i still like the guide. I think the almost straight up cutters is a choice they made. With most cutting tools as the angle of the working edge gets accute they cut better but are far less durable, I suspect pferd have gone for a reasonable cut/very durable angle by choice. seems odd when its a sharpening tool!

My day started ok but then went downhill. Moved wagon load of oak to shed, went for a load of locust but saw I needed to split some big rounds I placed there some 20 years ago to hold up the ned of the rick. Couldn't start splitter, fooled around with it, no fire...yep, gas in it. Scratch head and the light dawned I had shut the gas off to store the machine last time I used it... so, one pull and in business. Split the rounds to make one wagon full to the shed, another load of willow uglies to the same. Okay, turn to on load of maple logs, drug wagon over with the tractor, checked the grass to find out it was dry enough to mow. Changed plans, back on mower to find dead battery. multiple trips to the garage later I had the battery out and on the charger.

Okayl, back to bucking maple...nope. no start on the MS193T after lots of pulls and trying various choke settings. Okay, back to garage for the Husky T435. Late worked...for about 1 minute when I noticed the bar was loose. Usual time spent getting bar and chain back on right and this time tightened the bar nut. Cut a few small logs. Triied the 193 agtain and it fired. Decided to quit and BS here awhile then take the battery back out and get on the mowing.

Did some chain rehab after lunch from the dump scrounged and “gift” chains. The first one cuts awesome despite being less than pretty. There was almost no hook at all before I started filing. The depth gauges are all over the place but all are greater than .025. The second chain I haven’t tested yet has less cutter than this and it looked like the depth gauges had never been filed at all. Same lack of hook in the cutter.

5D39277F-43AB-42B6-98E7-944C3068E1AD.jpeg

Latest posts

Back