Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had the tail end of the big Iowa storm go through Southern Illinois and do some tree damage. I’m going on Thursday with my tractor and saws to work on a +/- 40”dbh Pin Oak. Should be lots of wood for next winter. I guess I’ll take a few saws. My brand new 462 (25”) that’s never been used. The 362,361 and my 660 that wears a 36”. They all need a chance to play.
I’ll post pictures of the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe, at last count I had over 25 trailers and wagons laying around here. I've since bought 6 or 7 more. Maybe this weekend I'll do an updated count. I have pics on here somewhere of most of them. Darn I just realized I've likely bought 10 in the last couple of months, forgot a couple wagon running gears and the 5th wheel trailer my wife got. The woman has no control. I bought 500 lawn mowers blades two weeks ago, she's still shaking her head over that deal. Local auction has a tote bag 3/4 full of golf balls that I been looking at. If I get them I might cover the lawn with them. I once bought a skid of the emergency triangles from a trucking company auction. My wife was away one night so the kids and I lined the road in front of our house with them. I think there was 60 boxes with 3 in each one so 180 reflectors lining the road, it looked like an airport runway.

Attachments

• 20200724_120731.jpg
    20200724_120731.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
Found out last Friday I'm DECEASED. :wtf: My retirement checks stopped coming and I called the company to do find out why. Their records say the info they got said I had passed away.NO my saws aren't for sale.:laughing:
Sorry to hear of your passing. Sure your saws aren't for sale? Got a 660?
Let us know how long it takes to become Un-Dead.

I think I'm going into withdrawal. I haven't been out to the log yard in over a week. I've been splitting the 3 loads of R. Oak on my drive and getting it down the hill. Today and the rest of the week, I'll tackle the Hackberry. I did scrounge some used 5/4 decking (trailer) for stacking all the extra firewood I've got. Just double up on them with bricks underneath. Found some HD brick pallets that have a full 1" slats for stacking, too.IMG_9719.JPGIMG_9720.JPG

The cool down...crops out of the field...

A long time ago when I was at university (major midwestern university) I was helping my uncle combine corn (they call it picking corn) in east central Illinois; his father-in-law was also helping. Finished the corn on November first. The father-in-law commented that they didn't used to start picking corn until November first so the horses wouldn't get over-heated.

And what about crawfish? crawdads? crayfish? any other names for them?

I should be doing some storm cleanup in Westchester tomorrow. I hear it is a large Tulip tree. 8 saws loaded in the F-150 including 2 with 36" bars.
Seems to me that I've seen a picture of 10 saws in the Mustang. Maybe not with 3ft bars but I can't help but think that maybe you're slacking just a little bit. Come on, ten saws in a mustang compared to eight in a truck? Am I right fellas?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

The cool down...crops out of the field...

A long time ago when I was at university (major midwestern university) I was helping my uncle combine corn (they call it picking corn) in east central Illinois; his father-in-law was also helping. Finished the corn on November first. The father-in-law commented that they didn't used to start picking corn until November first so the horses wouldn't get over-heated.

And what about crawfish? crawdads? crayfish? any other names for them?
Mudbugs

Can’t remember if I showed this pic the other day. Wanted a quick way to secure saws from walking away at Walmart or other questionable parking areas.
82B3BBC4-E942-439E-A065-527E728EDC04.jpeg

I don’t feel unsafe in the Walmart lot, but when you read about all of the crime that happens there on a weekly basis, it reinforces that I need to get my CCW permit.

SVK, I always do that with chain covers on to prevent damage … I call it siamesing them! They take up less space and don't slide as much or tip over.

Seems to work better with Stihl saws than with Husky's … has to do with the shape of the recoil and handle.
Yes!

Seems many of the saws with plastic handle bars are less able to be Siamesed.

Can’t remember if I showed this pic the other day. Wanted a quick way to secure saws from walking away at Walmart or other questionable parking areas.
View attachment 849432

I don’t feel unsafe in the Walmart lot, but when you read about all of the crime that happens there on a weekly basis, it reinforces that I need to get my CCW permit.
Yes I do that too with anything of value, even a 5 gal can of gas. And not just WM either. There are other stores I frequent that I don't trust some of their clientele. Sad it has to be done, but there will be that one person who has no morals.

Joe, at last count I had over 25 trailers and wagons laying around here. I've since bought 6 or 7 more. Maybe this weekend I'll do an updated count. I have pics on here somewhere of most of them. Darn I just realized I've likely bought 10 in the last couple of months, forgot a couple wagon running gears and the 5th wheel trailer my wife got. The woman has no control. I bought 500 lawn mowers blades two weeks ago, she's still shaking her head over that deal. Local auction has a tote bag 3/4 full of golf balls that I been looking at. If I get them I might cover the lawn with them. I once bought a skid of the emergency triangles from a trucking company auction. My wife was away one night so the kids and I lined the road in front of our house with them. I think there was 60 boxes with 3 in each one so 180 reflectors lining the road, it looked like an airport runway.
Yeah, but I’m on 1.3 acre. I’m almost out of golf balls. We use them for targets on the range. I was at a sale last year where they had ten, five gallon buckets of golf balls. One guy bid them up to $30 a bucket. I figured he’d buy one bucket and I’d still get one for about $5. Dang if he didn’t take all of them

Finished up splitting the free wood that got dropped off but I still have a ton of other wood to be cut and split. My wife and dog saw a dead possum on the side of our driveway that had no damage from critters getting it. Yesterday the Turkey Vultures were at it, they were to quick to get the pic of them but here is what was left of the possum. Just a tail and some spineIMG_20200818_145724037_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Seems to me that I've seen a picture of 10 saws in the Mustang. Maybe not with 3ft bars but I can't help but think that maybe you're slacking just a little bit. Come on, ten saws in a mustang compared to eight in a truck? Am I right fellas?

Not sure how many were in the truck last fall at the GTG.
20191026_152653.jpg

Back