Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha!

Next time you see an environmentalist be sure and thank them for creating these catastrophic fire conditions. For decades every time the local National Forest planned mechanical thinning or prescribed burns the environmentalists would tie it up with lawsuits, they were trying to save every tree instead of letting the Forest Service create a healthy forest.
Yeah It’s been pretty crazy. Sure glad they are starting to harvest some of the dead, unhealthy, overripe, too thick trees here. Even the forest service turned loose a few sales.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Man your sticking the knife in AND twisting [emoji1787]it
giphy.gif

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Pretty sure it was you who stuck the blade in and gasses on it:laughing:.
Fiskars not only makes killer splitting axes but about the best pruners you can find. Been pruning all day long and only cleaned them once. But they never stuck from resin.
f3e2f2d4e53185c20d1c5330fd166118.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
You said you got a new job, didn't know it was for that company across the rd from your old job :cool::lol:.
Did you get all the "resin" off :innocent:.

Driving by the tree service dump and spotted this. It’s hardwood with tight grain but I’m not certain if it is dogwood or not. I originally stopped because I saw the dark pith and thought hickory, but it’s not hickory. What do you guys say?
19723f47b3423c52f48db651f512ed51.jpg

2b818c41459cef534f3295a67a94dcce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fire appears less than 5 miles away. I hope they stop it in time.

The fire stalled yesterday 2-3 miles from our place, the heat map shows heat further from our place today than yesterday. So maybe there’s a fire break now. That doesn’t mean the danger is past, there’s another prong of the fire that could get pushed our way if winds change. The one that stalled could come around too.

Driving by the tree service dump and spotted this. It’s hardwood with tight grain but I’m not certain if it is dogwood or not. I originally stopped because I saw the dark pith and thought hickory, but it’s not hickory. What do you guys say?
19723f47b3423c52f48db651f512ed51.jpg

2b818c41459cef534f3295a67a94dcce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely Crab Apple...

Well I ended up getting a $25 gift card from eBay for being a long term member of over 20 years. I needed a few rim sprockets as well as some more mix oil so I put together a nice list of parts and did some shopping.

I never got an email about this, it was in my eBay inbox within the site itself. So if you’ve been a long term member, might not hurt to check your messages box within there.
Sure enough...checked ny messages and got the same. Couple loops of 72LGX headed this way for a whopping $13. Thanks!

Went to FIL's over Labor Day weekend to clean up a few trees that came down in the wind last week. Found many, many more down in the woods, on the trails, and everywhere else. @chipper1 spent the afternoon there as well, mostly just to help and to run saws. I thought I would be able to at least send some locust logs back with him, but he didn't even bring his new trailer. He also looked at a couple issues on my saws and shared some tips on sharpening. Thanks again for helping, Brett! What a good guy.

The woods there is a pretty good mix - locust, ash, oak, hickory, beech, and some lesser poplar, maple, etc. Of course the ones down in the yard needing the most immediate cleanup were soft maple. I burn it all so I guess it doesn't really matter. We limbed and cut a couple of trees into logs while the kids loaded the brush and took it to the burn pit. Gosh, maples have a lot of branches! Got a mid sized load of logs on the trailer before dark and headed home. Bucked and split all but the biggest log on Monday.
20200909_082705.jpg

Went to FIL's over Labor Day weekend to clean up a few trees that came down in the wind last week. Found many, many more down in the woods, on the trails, and everywhere else. @chipper1 spent the afternoon there as well, mostly just to help and to run saws. I thought I would be able to at least send some locust logs back with him, but he didn't even bring his new trailer. He also looked at a couple issues on my saws and shared some tips on sharpening. Thanks again for helping, Brett! What a good guy.

The woods there is a pretty good mix - locust, ash, oak, hickory, beech, and some lesser poplar, maple, etc. Of course the ones down in the yard needing the most immediate cleanup were soft maple. I burn it all so I guess it doesn't really matter. We limbed and cut a couple of trees into logs while the kids loaded the brush and took it to the burn pit. Gosh, maples have a lot of branches! Got a mid sized load of logs on the trailer before dark and headed home. Bucked and split all but the biggest log on Monday.
View attachment 854016
You're welcome, had a nice time :).
Looks like you need to get the wheelbarrow out again :happy:.

Did some cutting tonight. Really wanted to let the XL-925 stretch it’s legs but the chain was sub par. Looks like the guy I had sharpen it a while back didn’t adjust the rakers at all. Glad I’ll be buying a grinder soon so I don’t need to rely on unreliable people to fix my rocked chains.

The Roper made Craftsman 3.7 ran pretty well. Not a speedster but decent torque.

Yep, got rained out and family'ed out the last couple of days. Looking like it may have to wait until the weekend.
I know how that goes.
I think I just got project'ed out, but its of my own doing lol. I made a trip down your way yesterday(south of Fowlerville to make a purchase, so now I have another project.
Anyone know anything about hydrostatic transmissions?

Back